FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2016 7:34 PM  #1

Hydraulic Roller Cam - Valve Clearance

I am planning to replace my hydraulic flat tappet cam with a hydraulic roller cam (both Edelbrock).  I looking for a alternate solution to buying a extra set of roller lifters, modify them to be "solid", in order to check the piston to valve clearance. 
Interesting, I asked the Edelbrock tech advisor and he quickly stated to buy a Crane hydraulic lifter (as Edelbrock only sells them in a full set), and I found these available at Summit for about $30.  Not a bad price, but am wondering if anyone has another solution.
I also would like not to pull the head, so I'm planning to do this with the normal valve springs (Edelbrock heads) in place.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/18/2016 7:57 PM  #2

Re: Hydraulic Roller Cam - Valve Clearance

What are the cam specs?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/18/2016 8:02 PM  #3

PM your address, Bob. I'll have two homebrew "adapters" in the mail to you tomorrow.  Disassemble two lifters, insert my adapters, you're good to go.  Not $30 either.  Worked on mine with AFR heads and Ford rollers, Comp XE266 cam (.555 lift).  Only question I have is how do you plan to check piston/valve clearance without Pulling a head?  Do you have an endoscope?  I do but can't make it work.  I used clay to check my engine for P/V clearance.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/19/2016 2:02 AM  #4

BobE, just use test springs.  They are very light springs the same (or almost) size as the regular springs you are using except much smaller wire.  The pressure is light enough that it will not compress the hydraulic lifter, but will hold the valve in the closed position.  Rotate engine so the piston is on TDC - opposite compression stroke - and simply mash down on the top of the valve or rocker arm.
Don't know of a source for the springs, I've had ma set for a very long time.  Maybe ask Edelbrock.
Good Luck

2/19/2016 6:17 AM  #5

I posted a video a in tips and how tos on Measuring your pushrod length if you need that too.  Steve69

2/19/2016 8:17 AM  #6

With the head on you can test the valve to piston clearance with the correct springs and push rods and rockers you plan to use by placing a hundred thousandth feeler gauge between the rocker and the top of the valve stem...rotate the engine very slowly by hand for any indication of a bind... of course for testing you must use a solid type lifter of the same dimensions as you are planning to run ...I have used a fully pumped up hydrulic lifter in place of a solid but you have to really watch it to be sure it stays firm...be sure to set lash properly in all testing....jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (2/19/2016 8:32 AM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

2/19/2016 10:12 AM  #7

That is a terrific idea, Joe.  That's what I like about this forum...lots of folks way smarter than me!

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/19/2016 3:43 PM  #8

What if you took a lifter apart and packed it full of heavy grease?  Then clean it out and reassemble after you have checked clearance.
Is this some special engine with super big cam and special pistons or is it a run of the mill 289, 302 or 5.0 type?

Tootsie Rolls make great "clay" for checking clearance, if you even need to.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/19/2016 5:31 PM  #9

Can't you take apart the lifter and remove the spring and cut a chunk of like a large bolt and put it inside and put the plunger piece back in with the snap ring.

2/19/2016 7:19 PM  #10

MachTJ wrote:

Can't you take apart the lifter and remove the spring and cut a chunk of like a large bolt and put it inside and put the plunger piece back in with the snap ring.

Yes ...be exacting....jj

2/20/2016 9:08 AM  #11

OK, thanks to all for the input.
To respond to questions ... I just want to avoid pulling the head.  I have clay, degree wheel, dial indicator, light test springs etc , etc., and will pull the head if the I have to and check the "normal" way.
I plan to set a zero lash, starting at 20 degrees BTDC and using a dial indicator on the valve spring, tighten down the valve adjuster until contact with the piston is made, loosen the adjuster back to "zero" and repeat this process every few degrees to about 20 degrees ATDC for both the intake and exhaust valves.  This will provide enough data to verify whether clearance is a concern or not.  I like jerseyjoe's recommendation and may use it instead.
I inquired w/Edelbrock about removing the internal lifter spring, replace with something solid (washers), and than re-install the spring after, they responded that they do not recommend this method, and recommended buying a spare (Crane) if I wanted to go that route.
I do not believe I will have piston to valve issues, but do not want to find out the hard way.
The cam I'm going to use the an Edelbrock #2281, lift is 0.573" (Int) & 0.582" (Exh) engine has the stock 9.5:1 compression pistons.  I'm replacing an Edelbrock # 7182, 0.496" (Int) & 0.520" (Exh).
Bullet Bob - I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again to all for your recommendations..

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/20/2016 10:46 AM  #12

BobE wrote:

OK, thanks to all for the input.
To respond to questions ... I just want to avoid pulling the head.  I have clay, degree wheel, dial indicator, light test springs etc , etc., and will pull the head if the I have to and check the "normal" way.
I plan to set a zero lash, starting at 20 degrees BTDC and using a dial indicator on the valve spring, tighten down the valve adjuster until contact with the piston is made, loosen the adjuster back to "zero" and repeat this process every few degrees to about 20 degrees ATDC for both the intake and exhaust valves.  This will provide enough data to verify whether clearance is a concern or not.  I like jerseyjoe's recommendation and may use it instead.
I inquired w/Edelbrock about removing the internal lifter spring, replace with something solid (washers), and than re-install the spring after, they responded that they do not recommend this method, and recommended buying a spare (Crane) if I wanted to go that route.
I do not believe I will have piston to valve issues, but do not want to find out the hard way.
The cam I'm going to use the an Edelbrock #2281, lift is 0.573" (Int) & 0.582" (Exh) engine has the stock 9.5:1 compression pistons.  I'm replacing an Edelbrock # 7182, 0.496" (Int) & 0.520" (Exh).
Bullet Bob - I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again to all for your recommendations..

Bob,be sure to test both intake and exhaust valve lift...2 full revolutions each......I checked out your cam ...nice street /performance choice....jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (2/20/2016 10:51 AM)

2/22/2016 7:10 PM  #13

You can check clearance with the dial indicator and helper springs, but you may be good with up and down clearance and never know if the clearance around the outside of the valve reliefs is good or not. Approaching .600 lift I would pull the heads and check with clay. Figure it this way- how much time will it take you to pull the heads on and off a couple times and divide the dollar amount of damage that you think would happen (if something went wrong)  by the time amount. This always encouraged me to take the time even though I didn't want to.

Last edited by MachTJ (2/22/2016 7:19 PM)

2/22/2016 9:30 PM  #14

Also remember if you do end up pulling the head to check, be sure to use a new gasket with the same compressed thickness as what you will run. Preferably the same part#.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.