FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2016 9:49 AM  #1

Two Piece Fuel Pump Eccentric

Hey guys dumb question but I have searched the board and couldn't find my answer. Is the outer piece on the two piece fuel pump eccentric supposed to spin freely when installed? I have used the shorted pin provided with the eccentric which is installed on a Cloyes 9-1135 timing set. As I torque the thing down the outer ring is pinched in place so it no longer spins freely.

I called the seller of the eccentric kit and he said it shouldn't spin but I swear I remember on other motor rebuilds I did, over 30 years ago, the outer ring spun freely. Just looking for a simple yes it should spin or no it shouldn't before I button the front up.

Thanks

3/10/2016 10:15 AM  #2

Re: Two Piece Fuel Pump Eccentric

No it should not.

3/10/2016 10:30 AM  #3

No.

3/10/2016 5:48 PM  #4

mine does.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

3/10/2016 7:10 PM  #5

The two piece eccentric on my 351W does. I believe that the fact that it is free to move keeps the fuel pump arm from wearing a groove in the stationary eccentric.
I had a problem with my engine a few years ago after it was rebuilt by an engine shop. They attached the cam gear which the eccentric is attached to with a standard steel washer. It was supposed to be a hardened thick steel washer. The bolt crushed the washer and made it concave which also concaved the stationary eccentric ring. It allowed the free wheeling ring to wobble, so that it cut into my timing chain cover. I wouldn't have known about it except for finding aluminum shavings in my oil filter.

Last edited by Ron68 (3/10/2016 7:20 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/10/2016 9:29 PM  #6

Ron nailed it.......

3/10/2016 9:46 PM  #7

Yes it should spin freely. 

The amount of fun is directly proportionate to the damage done.

3/11/2016 8:32 AM  #8

After a little digging in my old How To Rebuild SBF Engines manual by Tom Monroe I found this...

Now to figure out what is pinching the outer ring.

3/11/2016 9:12 AM  #9

If you check the Cloyes catalog  http://www.cloyes.com/Images/CloyesHP_Catalog.pdf  the timing set you have selected uses a 1-piece eccentric.  The 9-1138 timing set uses a 2-piece.  There are overlap years between the two but it does state that the 1135 uses a factory 1-piece.  It probably has a different gear face which prevents the two-piece from spinning properly when tightened.  But, if you are unsure and don't trust the catalog the Cloyes support line is (479) 646-1662, Ext: 228 

3/11/2016 9:32 AM  #10

GPatrick you are dead on. After pulling it apart this morning and inspecting I saw the cam gear does not have the small stand off to allow the outer ring to spin when mounted. Nothing like a fresh prospective and a cup of coffee to see things straight.

3/11/2016 9:41 AM  #11

My bad. Shooting from the lip- er hip!

3/11/2016 9:49 AM  #12

There is nothing wrong with the one-piece unless you plan on a ton of miles and even then good clean oil will protect the sliding surfaces between the eccentric and the fuel pump arm.  From what I was able to find, there are potentially good and bad one-piece eccentrics parts out there depending on how the sliding surface is hardened.  OEM or Pord Performance may be a good choice or maybe your original unit if it is in good condition.  Now you have to put the long pin back in...  This is a link to the PF eccentric for a 3/8 diameter cam bolt.  They also have the 7/16 version.  http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fms-m-6287-b302/overview/make/ford

3/11/2016 10:52 AM  #13

Actually that is the one I am going to order. The original Ford eccentric had over 200K on it but as you can see the miles was starting to take it's toll on the surface. I also confirmed I have a 3/8' bolt version. Oh and thanks for the help!

Last edited by Oreo (3/11/2016 10:58 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.