FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2016 9:24 PM  #1

Hey BulletBob like you don't already have a lot going on..........

Maybe you could post a drawing of how you modified your horn circuit so it's NOT always hot...just when the button is smashed.
 You've told me several time butt-chew know a picture is worth a 1000 words!
6s6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/14/2016 10:34 PM  #2

Re: Hey BulletBob like you don't already have a lot going on..........

Why do you want to do that?  A positive contact produces a lot of arcing and burning of contacts.  I  'spose if you did it with a relay, it wouldn't be so bad.  Butt, I have already done enough re-wiring and my stock horn works just fine so I don't see a need to re-invent the wheel.

3/15/2016 6:46 AM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

Maybe you could post a drawing of how you modified your horn circuit so it's NOT always hot...just when the button is smashed.
6s6 

The issue Mike is concerned about happens sometimes if an aftermarket horn switch shorts...which, I understand, is not terribly uncommon.  When this happens with stock horn wiring the circuit breaker in the headlight switch constantly trips and resets which, at night, can be annoying to say the least.

I'll post a drawing if and when I get an extra few minutes butt (TS&T) here's a simple instruction that is good for 65/66 and other than maybe the wire #, will work through 73:

1. Cut yellow wire (#460) that runs from the HL switch to the steering column somewhere near midpoint.
2. Tape off the end coming from the HL switch so it can NEVER touch chassis ground.
3. Install a ring terminal on the end from the column and connect it to ground.
4. Install a Bosch type automotive relay in a convenient location near the left main lighting harness.
5. Cut the blue horn wire (in the left under-hood harness) near the new relay.
6. Connect the end coming from the firewall to pin 85 of the relay.
7. Connect the end going to the horns to pin 87 of the relay.
8. Connect a short jumper (wire) from pin 86 to pin 30 of the relay.
9. Connect a FUSED hot source from the solenoid, battery, voltage regulator, etc. to pin 30 of the relay (second wire on pin 30, plan ahead)  THIS WIRE MUST BE FUSED (20A or so) AS CLOSE TO
THE SOURCE AS POSSIBLE.

Now when you mash the horn button you are applying ground to the relay coil and the horn honks.  If the horn circuit shorts to ground the horn will honk but the lights will be unaffected.  Simply pulling the horn fuse (Installed in step 9) or removing the relay will solve the annoying problem until you can make a permanent fix.

Why Ford installed a relay on the Falcon horns but not on the Mustang is beyond me...just another "Better Idea" I guess.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/15/2016 8:33 AM  #4

boomyal wrote:

Why do you want to do that?  A positive contact produces a lot of arcing and burning of contacts.  I  'spose if you did it with a relay, it wouldn't be so bad.  Butt, I have already done enough re-wiring and my stock horn works just fine so I don't see a need to re-invent the wheel.

"Once up on a time....when I was at band camp...."
No really, when I went to one of the MSBB's'  one of the horn contacts under the wheel broke and shorted to ground. The dash lights went out...started smoking under the dash....lights went OUT and other stuff I don't want to remember. Naturally this happened at night about 800 miles from home!
It may never happen again but..... if it had happened ANYWHERE else I would have been screeewed.
I just like to "improve" stuff  especially after an "uh-oh" happens. Call it... being-a-little-girl...over-reacting...re-inventing-the-wheel....liking-to-do-stuff-to-my-hobby....whatever!   If it helps somebody else that's a benefit too.
Besides......I'm sorta tired of reading  about..... brakes...power steering...and clutch cables.
Horn mods is just a subject change....
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/15/2016 9:37 AM  #5

Did this mod several years ago, makes a lot of sense. Methinks smart idea.
Howard

3/15/2016 10:51 AM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

........I'm sorta tired of reading  about..... brakes...power steering...and clutch cables.

6s6

A huge Roger on that one!  

Last edited by boomyal (3/15/2016 10:52 AM)

3/15/2016 12:12 PM  #7

Look forward to seeing a diagram.  It sounds like a prudent mod to keep things from frying!

Bullet Bob wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6 

The issue Mike is concerned about happens sometimes if an aftermarket horn switch shorts...which, I understand, is not terribly uncommon.  When this happens with stock horn wiring the circuit breaker in the headlight switch constantly trips and resets which, at night, can be annoying to say the least.

I'll post a drawing if and when I get an extra few minutes butt (TS&T) here's a simple instruction that is good for 65/66 and other than maybe the wire #, will work through 73:

1. Cut yellow wire (#460) that runs from the HL switch to the steering column somewhere near midpoint.
2. Tape off the end coming from the HL switch so it can NEVER touch chassis ground.
4. Install a Bosch type automotive relay in a convenient location near the left main lighting harness.
9. Connect a FUSED hot source from the solenoid, battery, voltage regulator, etc. to pin 30 of the relay (second wire on pin 30, plan ahead)  THIS WIRE MUST BE FUSED (20A or so) AS CLOSE TO
THE SOURCE AS POSSIBLE.

Now when you mash the horn button you are applying ground to the relay coil and the horn honks.  If the horn circuit shorts to ground the horn will honk but the lights will be unaffected.  Simply pulling the horn fuse (Installed in step 9) or removing the relay will solve the annoying problem until you can make a permanent fix.

Why Ford installed a relay on the Falcon horns but not on the Mustang is beyond me...just another "Better Idea" I guess.

BB

3/15/2016 5:16 PM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6 

THE SOURCE AS POSSIBLE.

BB

Bob,

You have inadvertantly highlighted maybe the main reason a non-electrically trained hobbyist has so much difficulty troubleshooting electrical problems on these old Mustangs: sometimes the power is switched, sometimes the ground is switched. It's hard enough for those of us with training, just imagine how confusing this would be to someone trained as say, a welder.

3/15/2016 7:28 PM  #9

Ron..........you just won't do, man!!!
6s6

5/15/2020 7:54 AM  #10

Again thanks. This all makes good since and I will add the relay. Because I could not find the short. I think that I may have had reinstalled the TS incorrectly when I replaced the column bearing, There is just no sign of chafing that I can find and the problem is gone. I will much prefer a grounding short. I am going to look closer at the brake wire that goes in there because this problem started when I was pulling into stop the car or rolling out of the drive. Then I started to see it on the gauge, I wish I could re duplicate it now. 
Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/15/2020 8:32 AM  #11

Does this make sicnce or maybe it is what  Bullet Bob said
1   cut yellow wire #460 from light switch to column plug and install to relay conneting to # 86,87
2   connect yellow #460 leftover cut wire  going to coloum to # 85 of relay
3   cut yellow/green #461from column and add connetor to ground to the side from column
4   connect the leftover cut yellow/green #461 wire  to # 30 on relay 

this way you are still using all the factory wireing just changeing the horn switch wires to ground from hot? 

Last edited by Cab4word67 (5/15/2020 8:57 AM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

5/15/2020 9:39 AM  #12

Dang Chris, that's excellent.  I never thought of doing it that way.  It keeps everything looking stock out front.  I was taking the horn load off of the HL switch but it really isn't necessary...I mean, how often do you use the horns? 
That's what I love about this forum, always someone with a different approach.  Again, excellent idea, Chris.   Thanks.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/15/2020 10:17 AM  #13

Came up with that when I went to bed. Thats where I do my best thinking. Now I get to crawl under and install it

Last edited by Cab4word67 (5/15/2020 3:03 PM)

5/16/2020 5:30 AM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Besides......I'm sorta tired of reading  about..... brakes...power steering...and clutch cables.
Horn mods is just a subject change....
6s6

Maybe it's time to start posting about open headers, excessive noise and burnouts

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/16/2020 9:38 AM  #15

I am ready, I have ele cutouts on my truck and love to do burnouts, Its all my chevy C-10 is good for, and does it well
https://youtu.be/AdBrTtaWMAE

5/16/2020 4:42 PM  #16

You'd fit right in down here Chris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI2E7Mq7F4A

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/16/2020 8:41 PM  #17

LOL

5/16/2020 8:42 PM  #18

LOL

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.