FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2016 10:56 PM  #1

Camshaft

What would a good street and strip cam be for my 302. Heads have been worked over and larger valves installed It also has a worked over c4

4/01/2016 2:20 AM  #2

Re: Camshaft

What heads?

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

4/01/2016 5:02 AM  #3

Details: Vehicle?  Weight?  Rear gear ratio?  Engine details: compression ratio, heads, intake, carb, exhaust?  Intended use?  Power brakes?

4/01/2016 11:22 AM  #4

And what torque converter

4/01/2016 6:52 PM  #5

First it is a 302 bored .030 over rear gears are going to be 3.55/3.90. Compression 9.5/10.0 cast iron heads and 2 1/2 exhaust. Intake will be dual 4 bbl for show and some go. Convertor is undetermined right now. And it will be in a 68 mustang. Thanks for all the info and help from all you guys

4/02/2016 5:54 AM  #6

I think you're going to have serious issues getting a 2x4 setup to run right on an engine that small.  You could get by with a single 500-600cfm carb.  I don't think you can buy carbs small enough to make it work right, considering you basically need two 250-300cfm carbs.  Holley used to make a 390cfm 4 barrel, but even two of them is really too big.

Cam wise, for a warmed over 306 I'd suggest something with a powerband in the 1,500-6,500RPM range.  The heads are the real key, because there are a lot of iron heads.  The concern has to do with the I/E balance, and how that translates into lobe specs for intake and exhaust.  Old heads had a bad balance and won't work optimally with a single pattern cam.  Newer heads were a lot better and can work well with a single pattern.  What is the casting number for the heads? 

4/02/2016 6:53 AM  #7

6 Cam post and not 1 of them from Sal, someone better go check on him!

Last edited by wsinsle (4/02/2016 6:54 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/02/2016 8:38 AM  #8

I have a 289 running duals already and runs good no issues but now I'm building an motor for another car and want a little more get up and go for the track but yet street able

4/02/2016 3:05 PM  #9

Power brake car?

4/02/2016 3:40 PM  #10

When I first bought my Mustang in 1992 it had a Tunnel Ram with Dual Holley 500 carburetors.   It was on a 302.  It ran Awesome!   The only problem was the warm starts.  If I didn't hit it on the first time it usually would flood out.  But everything else was great!

4/02/2016 3:56 PM  #11

I'm confused on the determinant of it runs good.  A car that runs good, but won't restart warm to me doesn't run good.  A car with a pig rich idle that runs like a scalded dog from 3,0000RPM up doesn't run good.  From my experience multi carb setups look cool, but on a street engine they're harder to tune and hard to get right.  One of my neighbors was a very influential and successful Pontiac racer in the 50's and 60's.  He told me how much better and faster he could get the old 389 GTOs to run by ditching the 3x2 setup and going to a single 4 barrel.  He's got the 3x2 setups stacked in his barn like cordwood.  Whatever, to each his own.  If you want to run the 2x4 and don't care about the added hassles that's your game. 

I'm trying to figure out what the goal here is camshaft wise.  Streetable and track killer are mutually exclusive ideas, especially with a small engine like a 289-302.  What's your HP goal? 

4/02/2016 6:26 PM  #12

IMHO, you will be faster and wiser with a single 500 cfm 4V.  Not as sexy but more manageable and faster.  Saying that, I installed the Pony carbs 3X2 Autolite setup on my bride's 1966 Mustang convertible w/289. Only other mod is a flat tappet Comp 270 cam and T_5trans.  That was in 1999.  Setup has about 25K miles.  Gets +- 26 mpg on hiway and has had zero problems.  The autolite carbs are small at about 750 cfm total, but that size cannot be directly compared to a single 4V.  The setup was installed for show, but I have been really pleased with reliability and performance. 
If your goal is strip performance, I would suggest rethinking your entire setup, ie aluminum heads, roller cam,  etc.
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

4/02/2016 7:10 PM  #13

Seems like there SHOULD be a way to use 2X4 set-up by leaving both carbs(vac. secondaries ) and when the engine needs more air/fuel it will pull open the secondaries. Most prolly...it will spend 98% of its time on the 2 primaries butt he "WOW factor" would be over the top. Tunnel rams are even cooler!!
A lot of gear (think in the 4's) would be needed to get much hussle out of it.
Now the cool part!!
  I would cam the crap out of it!! 230*-ish intake  236-ish exhaust because.... those modded up 302 heads still won't(normally) flow as well as even Edelbroke heads. AFR's are still king at making power. I believe. Those small-ish ports will need a little more time to "clear out/fill up", so longer duration time will help that issue. Have it ground on a  106/108* LSA. I'd bet even a 110*LSA would NOT work as well. Most dirt track engines use a 106/108LSA because of the BLAST of bottom end power needed and the engine peaking out under 7 or 8 grand! Loong straight aways(think Dayton/Talledaga) can use a high reving engine. Not a street rod or dirt car
  Sometimes advancing the cam timing will move the power range down lower were you really need it. Be sure and degree it in!  Lift needs to be low enough to not hit the pistons! Around 480/500 lift I guess.
MAY need a looser torque converter than the stock one so it will be able to idle in D at a stop light. The gear will help the sluggish bottom end a loose converter may cause.
You realize 10:1 compression(minimum) will be needed to get the performance you want/NEED with a dual quad set-up.
You said the C-4 was beefed up?!  A reverse pattern manual valve body would be a great thing behind that killer engine!
Should be bad-azz  but will need plenty of out-of-the-box planning  to get it to do right.
You could always just wimp out and block the bottom of one of the carbs to make it "LOOK LIKE" it was functioning.(Only if the manifold is a single plane design though)
Let us know how it turns out.
6s6   

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/03/2016 6:56 PM  #14

With iron heads I'd limit compression to 9.5:1 on the street with a carb.  With EFI you could push it to 10:1 or maybe a bit more.  Aluminum heads and a carb I'd go 10.5:1, and with EFI you could go 11:1.  The issue is if you ever get a tank of bad gas, and your ability to tune it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.