FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2016 2:17 PM  #1

Can't leave well enough alone...

So I have a pair of boring aluminum 5.0 HO valve covers.  I decide to make them look more 'vintage' by painting them, so they seem more at home in the engine bay of my '67 Cougar (almost a mustang!).

Everything's going well, except that I'm painting outside, and sure enough, a couple little bugs and bits of stuff get on them while they are drying.

I think to myself "Well, I'll let them dry for 3-4 hours, and sand the nasty bits off."

3-4 hours was not enough.  Even on a warm day, in the sun.

So the paint is pretty awful looking now, and all balled up.  SO!  No problemo.  I get a rag, and I get the acetone!  After getting paint all over everything, especially me, they are now down to mostly aluminum again, and smooth enough to paint.  So I start to spray them.

... and notice that the rag I used left huge fuzzies *ALL OVER*.

So now they look far worse than they did when I started.  I get out paper towels, because I have no non-fuzzy rags.  I start to work on it with acetone and the paper towels start leaving parts of themselves, adding to the lovely decoupage appearance I've created.

Maybe I should give up and just ... what is that stuff little girls use?  Plastic gems, glued all over?   Oh yeah!  BEDAZZLE!

At this point I should probably Bedazzle the dang things and call it good...

... but I won't.   I'm letting them *really* dry now.  And in 24 hours-ish, I will go back to them, and really sand  them smooth.  I will buy some rags that won't leave fuzzies all over them. And, God willing, I will spray them again, hopefully making them look like they aren't part of a 5th grader's model car. 

I'm sure there has to be a lesson in here somewhere!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

11/04/2016 10:05 AM  #2

Re: Can't leave well enough alone...

What primer, and paint are you using?

11/04/2016 11:07 AM  #3

I used a Rustoleum primer/paint stuff that's an all in one.  My real problem was trying to paint outside in Kansas.  It's always windy, and there are always bugs when it's warm.  

*sigh*

I will never get a professional result, with the circumstances I have, but after 4 tries, they turned out well enough that they're not embarrassing to look at. =)

11/06/2016 5:14 PM  #4

Hang them upside down or vertical next time

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/06/2016 5:16 PM  #5

Thanks for the tip!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.