FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2016 2:29 PM  #1

12 volt ignition power source on 1967 Mustang for Pertronix

I have a pertronix ignition in my 67 Mustang V8 project. I do not want to cut the existing resistor wire, just want to bypass it with a direct 12 volt switched ignition source.

What is the easiest tap for this that will only supply power when the key is in the run position. Prefer it is under the dash so it is hidden.

Anybody got a diagram or can identify the wire. Are there any existing open switched plugs under the dash I can use?

Thanks

6/23/2016 2:45 PM  #2

Re: 12 volt ignition power source on 1967 Mustang for Pertronix

LondonSteve wrote:

I have a pertronix ignition in my 67 Mustang V8 project. I do not want to cut the existing resistor wire, just want to bypass it with a direct 12 volt switched ignition source.

What is the easiest tap for this that will only supply power when the key is in the run position. Prefer it is under the dash so it is hidden.

Anybody got a diagram or can identify the wire. Are there any existing open switched plugs under the dash I can use?
Thanks

Now, I have a '66. so, yours could be different.  Check it out.

The resistor wire exits from the ignition switch right behind the dash board.  Mine has about 6 inches of regular wire before the resistor wire begins.  Just tap into that 6" for switched 12 volt power.  I think it is a red-green.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

6/23/2016 3:03 PM  #3

I'll probably get flamed for saying this butt....
I have been running my Pertronix II off the positive side of the coil with the resistance wire still in place for over 12 years with no problems.  Many will tell you that this is impossible, but I can only share my personal experience.

At one time I thought about bypassing the resistance wire, but I decided not to for 2 reasons.
1.  If it ain't broke don't fix it
2. If the Pertronix unit ever fails I can buy a set of points at a local auto part store and swap them in without having to worry about putting the resistance wire back in place first.

6/23/2016 3:05 PM  #4

Use a plastic crimp tap when you tap into the base of the resistor wire.... leave the resistor wire connected to the coil....also check to make sure you have 12 volts at the tap....jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (6/25/2016 6:02 AM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

6/23/2016 3:12 PM  #5

Michael H. wrote:

I have been running my Pertronix II off the positive side of the coil with the resistance wire still in place for over 12 years with no problems.  Many will tell you that this is impossible, but I can only share my personal experience.

At one time I thought about bypassing the resistance wire, but I decided not to for 2 reasons.
2. If the Pertronix unit ever fails I can buy a set of points at a local auto part store and swap them in without having to worry about putting the resistance wire back in place first.

I have also used the resistor wire to power the Pertronix but had a bad miss at high rpm that took months to locate ...it was the resistor wire...always use a keyed 12 volt source....jj 

Last edited by jerseyjoe (6/25/2016 6:04 AM)

6/23/2016 4:18 PM  #6

Michael H. wrote:

I had my 66 wired that way and it worked fine for a while then got hard to start. I removed the resistor wire completely( 1st mistake) then misplaced it ( 2nd mistake) it solved the starting problem but now I can't switch back to points in an emergency unless a buy a resistor wire.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

6/23/2016 7:20 PM  #7

Robby 13 here. I also have a 67 with a pertronix 2. The pertronix is made to run direct 12 volts for best results. Red wire from pertronix to pos coil, to directly behind the ignition switch, green wire, red stripe. I disconnected the resistor wire and folded it back along the harness and taped it. You must also use the proper coil for which ever pertronix you have. The best way to make sure is to call pertronix tech line, I spoke to Marvin, he explained it best.

6/24/2016 4:43 AM  #8

I would never switch back to points.  If you're concerned about a failure just buy a second Pertronix and have it ready to go in the emergency kit.  That being said, a failure if the unit is installed right is about slim to none.

I bypassed the resistor wire and ran 12V directly to the coil and the Pertronix.  I had to run a tach sender wire too, so I simply ran a white and a red wire from the dash, through the firewall (small grommet below the existing gauge feed one), and loomed it in to the gauge feed harness.  I used some tricks like using Solder Seal terminals and them shrink wrapping with black shrink tube on top.  You would have to be looking for it and really know what you're looking at to see that anything isn't factory.

I'm trying to remember where I taped keyed 12V, and I'm thinking it was off the factory tach wiring, which unless you have that underdash harness probably doesn't do you any good.  Other options are the red wire going to to ammeter should be a keyed 12V, but you need to verify that whatever you use is hot in run as well as in crank.  Tapping directly off the ignition switch may be your best bet. 

6/24/2016 7:27 AM  #9

This is the thought I had that would avoid cutting any of the harness.

Run a direct 12 volt feed to a standard relay switch. Then use the brown wire "I" terminal post off the starter relay to act as the trigger to turn on the external relay switch and send 12 volts to the distributor.

The brown wire "I" terminal is fed directly from the ignition switch via the pink wire under the dash so it should be hot in start and run only. The lower voltage should be no problem in terms of just triggering the relay. I have used this same approach to deal with horns that are not getting enough juice to function.

Is there any flaw with my logic??

6/24/2016 7:29 AM  #10

I knew I'd get a lot of posts saying you must use 12v or you'll have problems, but like I said, I've had absolutely no problems after 12 years... no high RPM misses, no hard starts, nothing... so I see no reason to change it now.
I am using the Pertronix Flamethrower II coil to match my Pertronix II.

I am not claiming that the problems others have had when not using a full 12v aren't legitimate... I'm just saying that it's not guaranteed that you will experience those same problems.  It might be worth a try just to try it with the resistance wire in place first, then, if you have problems, you can always bypass it.

Last edited by Michael H. (6/24/2016 8:21 AM)

6/24/2016 12:08 PM  #11

I actually ran mine through the resistor wire for a very long time with no problems.  I would just rather the system get 12V.

I don't think I'd want a relay in this circuit.  Not that it wouldn't work, but its a level of complexity, another thing to fail.  If you're already worried about what happens should the Ignitor fail, now you've also got to be worried about what happens if the relay fails?  More spares to carry, etc. 

6/24/2016 5:05 PM  #12

jerseyjoe wrote:

Use a plastic crimp tap when you tap into the resistor wire.... leave the resistor wire connected to the coil....also check to make sure you have 12 volts at the tap....jj

Probably just wording, but you don't want to splice into the resistor wire, rather, you want to splice into the red/green ignition wire before it plugs into the resistor wire.  Don't even ask me how I know this.
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

6/24/2016 5:13 PM  #13

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would never switch back to points.  If you're concerned about a failure just buy a second Pertronix and have it ready to go in the emergency kit.  That being said, a failure if the unit is installed right is about slim to none.

I bypassed the resistor wire and ran 12V directly to the coil and the Pertronix.  I had to run a tach sender wire too, so I simply ran a white and a red wire from the dash, through the firewall (small grommet below the existing gauge feed one), and loomed it in to the gauge feed harness.  I used some tricks like using Solder Seal terminals and them shrink wrapping with black shrink tube on top.  You would have to be looking for it and really know what you're looking at to see that anything isn't factory.

I'm trying to remember where I taped keyed 12V, and I'm thinking it was off the factory tach wiring, which unless you have that underdash harness probably doesn't do you any good.  Other options are the red wire going to to ammeter should be a keyed 12V, but you need to verify that whatever you use is hot in run as well as in crank.  Tapping directly off the ignition switch may be your best bet. 

The ammeter wire, while delivering the necessary 12 volts for your Ignitor, is shorted out, probably via the voltage regulator, while in the start or crank mode, and will not deliver voltage to the Ignitor during the cranking activity and will not allow the engine to start.
Best,
Al

6/25/2016 7:06 AM  #14

I'll take that as verification that you shouldn't use the ammeter wire then.

6/25/2016 8:36 AM  #15

LondonSteve wrote:

This is the thought I had that would avoid cutting any of the harness.

Run a direct 12 volt feed to a standard relay switch. Then use the brown wire "I" terminal post off the starter relay to act as the trigger to turn on the external relay switch and send 12 volts to the distributor.

The brown wire "I" terminal is fed directly from the ignition switch via the pink wire under the dash so it should be hot in start and run only. The lower voltage should be no problem in terms of just triggering the relay. I have used this same approach to deal with horns that are not getting enough juice to function.

Is there any flaw with my logic??

I'm in agreement with TKO about keeping it simple and not using a relay but I thought I'd post options so you could decide what is best for you. The first pic should work with a 9 volt coil. It would supply 12 volts to the pentronix and 9 Volts to the coil.

The next Pic could be used with a 12 Volt coil. You would have to disconnect the Red/Green wire from the + side of the coil and connect them together.  

Last edited by wsinsle (6/25/2016 8:40 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/25/2016 8:40 AM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

I don't believe it diminishes the voltage at the ammeter supply wire... I also  don't believe it gets shorted out as Al says,or then it would cause a fire or blow a fuse...it gets read by the gauge as determined by the charge or drawn in the system...these are only assumptions a simple volt meter will tell ....jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (6/25/2016 8:45 AM)

6/25/2016 10:06 AM  #17

Why not unplug resistor wire under dash, run new wire from there to coil? Simple and works.
Howard

6/25/2016 8:46 PM  #18

jerseyjoe wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I don't believe it diminishes the voltage at the ammeter supply wire... I also  don't believe it gets shorted out as Al says,or then it would cause a fire or blow a fuse...it gets read by the gauge as determined by the charge or drawn in the system...these are only assumptions a simple volt meter will tell ....jj

You could be correct about the ammeter wire being hot in crank position.  I experienced the shorted out in crank mode on a 1965 with an idiot light, not a gauge.
Best,
Al

6/26/2016 6:49 AM  #19

Why I always advise testing.  A voltmeter doesn't lie, but I'm human and therefore could be wrong once in a while. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.