FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2016 7:11 AM  #1

Manual transmission neutral start control

I have a situation where I need to somehow install a  neutral start switch and wires on a clutch  pedal assembly for a manual trans. application.  The vehicle is a '65 Fastback with a top loader trans. and Hurst shifter assembly and hydraulic clutch actuation.  The pedal assy. under the dash is stock.  Can someone tell or show me how they have done it if they did it on their Mustang?  Pictures maybe?  Thanks  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

7/11/2016 7:25 AM  #2

Re: Manual transmission neutral start control

One option could be a hydraulic brake light switch.  This is a link to a Painless wiring low pressure switch and Summit lists a wide selection of wire connections and different actuation pressures.  Seems like the plumbing changes would be minimal and you wouldn't have to mess with trying to make a switch work off of the pedal. The part description says spade connectors and no harness so the picture may not match the actual switch.   https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/prf-80174/overview/

7/11/2016 4:40 PM  #3

Or a normally CLOSED momentary contact switch that closes the circuit when the clutch pedal is depressed would be real easy.  Make a bracket so the switch is mounted to the pedal support and is depressed by the clutch pedal when the pedal is in static position.  When the clutch pedal is pushed, releasing the switch plunger to its normal position, the switch will make contact internally and allow the car to start.  This would go into the wire that activates the starter solenoid.

I find it easier to hook up a switch in this configuration than it is to hook one up where pushing the clutch pedal pushes the switch.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/12/2016 6:59 AM  #4

I agree w/MS's recommendation.
Although I do have a question, why do you feel you need this feature?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/12/2016 1:09 PM  #5

I agree, why have clutch switch? I started driving in 1949 and got by very well till present. Just sumpin else to go wrong?

7/13/2016 5:38 AM  #6

BobE wrote:

Well,llllllllllllll, I hate to admit it, but I did a bonehead mistake.  I got in a hurry while aligning the front suspension and left the car in gear and needed to move it back and forward and being used to automatic vehicles, even though I had driven vehicles with a stick since I was 15 years old, when I hit the switch, you guessed it, it started, and before I could get to the clutch, I ran car into a table and radiator went into fan blade.  "Dumb" I know"  I've already beat myself up muchly and I should know better, but like I said, I got in a hurry without putting mind in gear.  Soooooooo, I thought I would try to fix "dumb"  Thank's  for all's help. Jerry 

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

7/13/2016 7:13 AM  #7

retired 65 wrote:

BobE wrote:

Well,llllllllllllll, I hate to admit it, but I did a bonehead mistake.  I got in a hurry while aligning the front suspension and left the car in gear and needed to move it back and forward and being used to automatic vehicles, even though I had driven vehicles with a stick since I was 15 years old, when I hit the switch, you guessed it, it started, and before I could get to the clutch, I ran car into a table and radiator went into fan blade.  "Dumb" I know"  I've already beat myself up muchly and I should know better, but like I said, I got in a hurry without putting mind in gear.  Soooooooo, I thought I would try to fix "dumb"  Thank's  for all's help. Jerry 

Unfortunately, DUMB cannot usually be fixed by attempting to idiot-proof the process.  Fortunately, you are intelligent enough to learn from your experience and I am quite confident you will NEVER allow this to happen again, switch or no switch!

Like I keep telling everybody... I did NOT learn all this neat stuff by doing it RIGHT the first time!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/13/2016 11:26 AM  #8

I hate learning stuff the hard way, its followed by $$$$$. I would rather think about what I spent on the car than what I paid for mistakes in dollars and blood over a lifetime!!

Engineering controls are the best means of preventing future accidents.

The right contact switch, NO at end of pedal travel or NC at static position, will work no doubt. If you go with the NC contact and your clutch engages close to the floor, then you have the chance to start the engine before the clutch is fully disengaged. Like holding the key to start, then pushing in the clutch. I did stupid stuff as a teenager and early twenties!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/13/2016 11:56 AM  #9

This discussion brings back the memories of the starter switch being under the clutch pedal and the pedal had to be floored for the engine to turn over.
 Could I be the only one here that ever drove  cars like that?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/13/2016 5:30 PM  #10

Ever drive one with the starter on the floor?!!
Grew in in a "hilly" area of North Ga. Try to start one on a hill...... with one foot on brake....one foot pushing in the clutch...one foot on the gas...one foot mashing the durn starter.......with some clown behind you blowing the horn!!!!
Even if you "got three legs"..... you're STILL one foot short.
S-I-M-P-L-E.(yeah right)  put the tranny in neutral.....one foot on brake....one heel on gas...one toe on starter.(wave that clown-with-the-horn-issue around!)
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/15/2016 10:35 AM  #11

retired 65 wrote:

BobE wrote:

Well OK then, I understand you would want to do that again.  (doing it twice would differently be dumb!)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.