FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2013 6:38 PM  #1

Re-Finishing Interior Trim

I'd like to save a bunch of money by reusing the "red" interior trim pieces I have. The parts I am talking about are the two pillars, dash radio trim caps and the dash end trim molding. My interior will be all black. I have to repair one pillar but that's not a problem.
Has anyone already stained their interior parts? If so what did you use and how were the results. Or should I just give them a real good cleaning and spray them black and clear coat them. Thanks in advance. Bill

6/10/2013 8:35 PM  #2

Re: Re-Finishing Interior Trim

Most auto/body paint suply stores have a plastic paint in rattle cans that work REALLY well. Regular paint does "stretch/shrink" like this stuff. Made specifically for interiors.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/10/2013 9:36 PM  #3

google is your friend.....lots of good info out there on this topic.

the basics are, clean it well....prep it....paint it with the correct paint.  they do make the correct paint for both plastic and vinyl....years ago, i used vinyl paint on my '68 coupe interior pieces without any issue.

6/10/2013 11:05 PM  #4

SEM dye in the spray can is about the best stuff out there for interior parts. i changed all my interior parts from blue to black on the 69 with the SEM dye.

6/11/2013 5:59 AM  #5

I agree with Steve S.  The SEM products work really well on plastic.  I dyed my replacement console from black to blue. (they only come black) five years ago and it still looks great.  Make sure you get the plastic cleaner too.  All available from NPD.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

6/11/2013 10:35 AM  #6

Thanks to all.
NPD & SEM will be my choice.
Will post results.
Have a great day

Last edited by Chelby-Ann (6/11/2013 10:36 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.