FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2013 6:49 PM  #1

Got the Galaxie up on jackstands today lots to do

I am WAY behind where Ive wanted to be.  Its probably not going to make the bash again this year without a serious miracle.  But at least its moving forward.

Ran into a huge problem today.  The shifter linkage mechanism I searched for for years to put it back on the column, goes right through the shorty header collector.  Gonna have to figure this out.

My car has really went downhill sitting unloved for almost 4 years.   Lots of stuff to do.  Lots.  and did I say LOTS?

#drivingsomethingelsetothebashmethinks

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/12/2013 10:44 PM  #2

Re: Got the Galaxie up on jackstands today lots to do

Don't you just love stuff like that happens.  Nothing like "fixing one thing" and creating another issue.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

6/13/2013 7:37 AM  #3

Had a frustrating day yesterday.   I decided to take the whole front end off to do this, because I decided to fix the rust in the right inner fender (battery area)  and some rust in the front core support.   And it would make this much easier to work on.

Broke a bumper bracket frame bolt, had to cut another off with a saw, broke several fender fasteners.  the bumper slipped off the jack on me and put four more scratches in the rapidly deteriorating paint.  

Just going to concentrate on all the mechanicals right now...........worry about the paint later

Here I thought Id have the whole front half tore off yesterday, but the only bolts that cooperated were the grill.  and since its never been apart, the fender to inner fender sealer is like friggin concrete!  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/13/2013 11:24 AM  #4

no different than working on a mustang greg...........oh, and review mustangsteves law......

6/13/2013 1:20 PM  #5

Things are a lot different than working on a Mustang.  Its all bigger and 3 times as heavy!  

Ford definately used a different type of bolt on these cars, a higher grade and finer threads.  What happened to me was a lot of nuts stripped out on me.

I finally got the passenger side all off.  Heres pictures of what I have to fix.  

6/13/2013 6:04 PM  #6

Its all apart!  The drivers side came apart relatively easy.   That and I changed tactics.  The Huskey 3/8 impact gun is all but useless.  It wouldnt even start, just blow air about half the time.  I broke out the HF "thunder" 1/2 and it worked much better.  (yes its been a dang good impact gun, just heavy)   of course the bolts on this side had the advantage of being soaked overnight in penetrating oil.

Engine comes out tommorow!  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.