FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2013 5:01 PM  #1

65 Coupe Value

Came across a 65 Coupe 289 (bad engine) 4 sp trans with factory disc brakes. Been in storage for almost 40 years, floors are pristine top and bottom. Only rust is two quarter sized holes in trunk over rear spring support. Needs one door and front fender. Paint is excellent for a 50 year old car.
How much would you pay for it? Please give me your opinion of its worth. Thank you, Howard  

Last edited by hmartin025 (6/11/2013 7:15 PM)

6/11/2013 6:48 PM  #2

Re: 65 Coupe Value

$1800 to $3000 depending on what all it needs.  Stuff that has been sitting a long time will require replacement, like calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder.  Engine bad and needs body panels?  My target woud be $1500 but you know how it goes....  Whatever someone is willing to pay for it is the price.

Sounds like just the bash car I have been looking for...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/11/2013 7:32 PM  #3

IF you're going to spend more than a few grand, which is throw away money for this line of hobby then I would 1) find an appraiser to give you a solid number.  Lots of guys have legit credentials and will give a solid look over the car.  I paid $300 on my 66.  Secondly, you can subscribe to the many different classic car auction sites and they will tell you all the cars that have sold in the last year.  That will be the most accurate value.  Based on the type of car and condition, you can see the going rate.  Best part is those auctions are going on all the time all over the country.  Lots of data.

With all that said, ANY car that isn't running and needs an engine replaced isn't worth more than $1500.  Honestly I wouldn't shell out more than 1000.  For 4000 you can get a desent 6 banger and just do a crate engine and transmission swap for 5000-6000 and you'll have an instant legit $10k value car.  In hindsight, that's what I should have done.

6/11/2013 8:32 PM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

I thought you just bought that red one for a bash car

6/11/2013 9:08 PM  #5

terry wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

I thought you just bought that red one for a bash car

That is for backup for the 2013 bash.  Need a different one for future...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/12/2013 5:57 AM  #6

A car's value is dependent on many factors.  One of those is the economic factor of supply and demand.  If a car is in limited supply, demand will drive up the price no matter the condition.  This is particularly true in the northern rust belt.  A virtually rust free car up here in Detroit is worth much more than one down south because there are so many more available in the south.  A coupe is worth less than a fastback or convertible due to the numbers produced. C-code worth less than K-code and so on.

And depending on your vision for the project, engine and mechanical work is relatively easy and much less expensive compared with body, paint and rust repair.  Price accordingly.

6/12/2013 6:24 AM  #7

Appreciate the input, good solid advice from all of you!
Howard

6/12/2013 3:37 PM  #8

TremendousWand wrote:

For 4000 you can get a desent 6 banger and just do a crate engine and transmission swap for 5000-6000...

and change the rear end, front and rear springs, spindles, brakes, fuel line, radiator, throttle rod, inner and outer tie rods, drag link, etc. to V8 components.

It's quite do-able, but it's much more work than just an engine and transmission swap.
I'm doing it right now on my father-in-law's '66 coupe.

Last edited by Michael H. (6/12/2013 3:38 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.