FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2016 5:35 PM  #1

Gas gelling in carb

What do you guys do for your stangs that sit for a couple of months without driving them? I rebuilt my carb a few months ago because of the fuel turning to gel in the float bowl.Now I'm having the same problem again, I have not been able to drive the car because I have been so busy from the floods from the Brazos river. What additive could I use to help? I have tried Ethanol Shield but maybe I didn't put in enough, I was thinking maybe I could drill the float bowl to make a drain. Any help appreciated.
Keith

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

9/03/2016 5:47 PM  #2

Re: Gas gelling in carb

You need to buy Sta-Bill fuel stabilizer....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

9/03/2016 6:43 PM  #3

9/03/2016 7:44 PM  #4

Don't run corn gas. Just run non-ethanol.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

9/03/2016 10:30 PM  #5

Brents65 wrote:

Don't run corn gas. Just run non-ethanol.

Why don't you sent some of that non-ethanol gas to Texas, there isn't any within 100 miles of a city. I have a "Find Me Some Pure Gas" app on my phone and the closest station to me just South of Arlington is a two hour drive. I suspect Rosenberg gets similar search results.

9/04/2016 7:15 PM  #6

You don't have access to non ethanol? It is almost everywhere around here mainly in the 91-93 octane rating fuel though.

65 mustang coupe, 351W, C6-  2800 stall, B&M blower, 9inch- trac-loc 3.70 gears

9/04/2016 9:33 PM  #7

The DFW, Houston, and to a lesser degree, San Antonio metroplexes are environmental "nonattainment zones", which means they have to implement the most strict environmental compliance methods, which means nothing but Gasohol for a very wide radius around those areas. There is always an out of state joker that says "fill the bed of your pickup with five gallon gas cans and make a road trip to wherever they sell real gasoline". Not only is that illegal, but then you have to plan 3-4 hour round trip gasoline buying trips, and then figure out how to store your illegal gasoline. Most of us Texas residents on this forum are too old to be interested in expending that kind of energy to be outlaws.

9/04/2016 10:03 PM  #8

check out this location for non-ethanol gas in the Houston area.
http://pure-gas.org/station?station_id=18530

I run all my yard implenents, my boat and my Mustang on this gas.  They do not add the ethanol until the time of delivery to the local gas station.

Last edited by boomyal (9/05/2016 6:47 PM)

9/05/2016 9:59 AM  #9

Like I said, an out of stater telling us Texans how to break the law. Race gas and marine gas is easy to find and both are illegal to run on the street, same fines as using agricultural gas on the street. If all your Mustang sees is a race track, by all means use race gas.

9/05/2016 5:11 PM  #10

Yes because everyone knows Texans never break the law......

9/05/2016 6:45 PM  #11

josh-kebob wrote:

Ask Gen. Santa Ana about that!   I don't know why all the piosity over choosing to use a fuel for your classic Mustang that doesn't get driven many miles; the alternative being a fuel that has an additive that that takes more energy to manufacture and creates more pollution in the creation of it, by volume, than it eliminates. 
Give me a break!

9/05/2016 8:23 PM  #12

josh-kebob wrote:

Does anyone remember why Oklahomans are called Sooners?

9/06/2016 12:02 AM  #13

Yep, sure do

9/06/2016 1:22 PM  #14

hmartin025 wrote:

Yep, sure do

But that didn't have anything to do with disregarding any rules or laws, did it?  Not too much....

Hey Howard, how ya doing?   Are ya gonna do Reno this year?  Wish you could have made it to the Bash here last June.  It may not get that close to your neck of the woods again for a while.

My best to ya,

Bob

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/06/2016 3:24 PM  #15

Hornman wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Even me being a Canadian knows what a sooner is!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/06/2016 6:54 PM  #16

Rudi wrote:

Hornman wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Even me being a Canadian knows what a sooner is!

What, praytell, does being a Sooner have to do with buying gasoline that will not play havoc with your classic Mustang?

9/07/2016 8:30 AM  #17

Inspector Hornman..........was thinking of you yesterday as I legally refueled  with real gas........BTW: no corn plants were exploited, maimed, injured or killed in the processing of this petroleum product

Last edited by josh-kebob (9/07/2016 8:31 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.