FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2016 9:13 AM  #1

Oil pressure sensor location?

So I have this Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge and as I've already used the hole in my 289 engine block where the sensor usually goes as the feedline for my turbocharger can I just drill and tap a hole in the oil filter sandwich adapter I have? Is the pressure the same here where it goes out of the engine and into the oil filter and will my gauge then measure the correct engine oil pressure?

10/01/2016 9:36 AM  #2

Re: Oil pressure sensor location?

I have a mechanical gauge and I still have a functional idiot light.  I did this by putting a nipple and tee in the block and hooking both lines to that tee.  My thinking on this is, if I lose oil pressure I may not notice the gauge drop but if that light comes on glowing RED on my dash I will definitely notice.  Can you simply add a tee where your turbo connects????

10/01/2016 4:18 PM  #3

Idont know for sure but I do know you need to come up with something better than that plastic tubing. You haven't lived till that thing melts on the header at 80 on the interstate.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/01/2016 4:38 PM  #4

Thanks both! I figured out from this picture that I can connect it in the "OUT" port on the oil filter sandwich adapter. I also have some stainless brake line tubing that I better replace that plastic stuff with:

10/01/2016 4:51 PM  #5

I certainly don't know much...for sure.  Or maybe it's...I, for sure, don't know much.  Butteye (Thanks Mike) was always told that in a hy-droil-ik system, the pressure is the pressure.  The check valve is in the pump so any place downstream should have the same pressure.....I think...maybe.  So according to that thinking, your idea of tapping the filter adaptor sounds like the way to go...and get rid of that plastic tubing.  Or T's simple idea of using a T.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/01/2016 4:52 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/01/2016 7:46 PM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I certainly don't know much...for sure.  Or maybe it's...I, for sure, don't know much.  Butteye (Thanks Mike) was always told that in a hy-droil-ik system, the pressure is the pressure.  The check valve is in the pump so any place downstream should have the same pressure.....I think...maybe.  So according to that thinking, your idea of tapping the filter adaptor sounds like the way to go...and get rid of that plastic tubing.  Or T's simple idea of using a T.

BB

Not quite. If you just pressurize a hydraulic system and have no flow, the pressure should be the same throughout the system. Flow messes up that nicety. Every turn, passage, and oil user creates pressure drop (think resistors in a circuit). Measure the pressure (voltage) after each resistor and it will be lower, eventually becoming zero after the users. (Pressure is voltage, flow is current).

Hakan is correct about plumbing the measurement pressure tap on the output side of the oil filter, that is the stock location. If you installed the measurement pressure tap between the pump and the filter, a blown gasket on the filter could fool you into believing you have oil pressure until all the oil has been pumped onto the road.

A mechanical oil pressure gauge? They still make those?

10/02/2016 8:05 AM  #7

Hornman wrote:

A mechanical oil pressure gauge? They still make those?

The reason I once bought it is that I wanted all my guages to look the same and the only one available from Autometer that fulfilled that requirement was mechanical:

Here's a couple of early pics from when I modified the instrument panel:

And what it looks like today:

10/02/2016 9:22 AM  #8

You truly are a artist Hakan👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

1968 Coupe 289 C-4 Dave

10/02/2016 9:30 AM  #9

I believe it's pronounced "ar teest", and yes, he is.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/02/2016 11:56 AM  #10

I like the way you use the word "modified". More like created a 3-D jigsaw puzzle and assembled it.

Did you completely weld out the base and rings on the bezels?

10/02/2016 1:05 PM  #11

Hornman wrote:

I like the way you use the word "modified". More like created a 3-D jigsaw puzzle and assembled it.

Thanks all!

I used this method to figure out the design of some of the pieces I needed as I've never taken the time to really learn how to use any 3D drawing software:

Most of the instrument panel is welded together, in some cases I spotwelded and then used lead to get it to look the way I wanted it to look:

10/02/2016 3:50 PM  #12

Pictures won't open for me, any idea why?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/02/2016 4:45 PM  #13

Rudi wrote:

Pictures won't open for me, any idea why?

The site where I am hosting most of my pics seems to be down right now. Just wait while and try again later.

10/03/2016 6:08 AM  #14

Hakan wrote:

Hornman wrote:

Thanks all!

I used this method to figure out the design of some of the pieces I needed as I've never taken the time to really learn how to use any 3D drawing software:

Hakan,
I still have my old faithful drawing board with the "drafting machine" mounted upstairs in the garage. When things get tough, I still go up and do the rotations like your diagram to make sure I will have a great fit!

Most of the instrument panel is welded together, in some cases I spotwelded and then used lead to get it to look the way I wanted it to look:

10/03/2016 7:39 AM  #15

Notwithstanding the issues with Pb, being old school I loved working with a torch, flux, wooden paddle and lead! Bondo shmondo!
Truly exceptional workmanship!

Last edited by Rudi (10/03/2016 7:41 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/03/2016 11:43 AM  #16

DC wrote:

Hakan,
I still have my old faithful drawing board with the "drafting machine" mounted upstairs in the garage. When things get tough, I still go up and do the rotations like your diagram to make sure I will have a great fit!

Yep, even if I make my living from IT I still prefer to do a lot of things the old school way. Well, maybe it's because I spend too many work hours in front of a computer or in meetings and really like to get some "real work" done when I am off work.

Rudi wrote:

Notwithstanding the issues with Pb, being old school I loved working with a torch, flux, wooden paddle and lead! Bondo shmondo!
Truly exceptional workmanship!

Thanks Rudi!

10/03/2016 12:52 PM  #17

Very nice work as always, Hakan. Looks like you're still progressing along on your '67.

10/03/2016 2:46 PM  #18

ultrastang wrote:

Very nice work as always, Hakan. Looks like you're still progressing along on your '67.

Thanks Steve!

The progress has been very slow for a while, but I actually recently spent a whole week cleaning up and reorganizing all the stuff in my garage which lead me to get motivated to start working on the car again. Also helped a local buddy to weld some stuff at his place last week and he asked me how much I really had left to do on the car and as it's "just" paint, interior, some plumbing and wiring I was thinking I'd better try to finally get it at least possible to drive and take the rest from there.

10/03/2016 4:15 PM  #19

Hakan wrote:

ultrastang wrote:

Thanks Steve!

The progress has been very slow for a while, but I actually recently spent a whole week cleaning up and reorganizing all the stuff in my garage which lead me to get motivated to start working on the car again. Also helped a local buddy to weld some stuff at his place last week and he asked me how much I really had left to do on the car and as it's "just" paint, interior, some plumbing and wiring I was thinking I'd better try to finally get it at least possible to drive and take the rest from there.

Slow progress is still progress. Glad to see you're getting there.

For the past 3 or so months (in my spare time), I had been working on a '72 F100 long bed Sport Custom for a guy that lives 80 miles away (he's the guy I bought my '69 F100 short bed Ranger from in April, 2011).  I put front discs on this '72 and added a booster with a 'modern' MC to it.

He's only had this '72 for about 8 months now so, there's still lots left to do in most all areas of it. This is an account of some of the things I had done on this truck, during the addition of front discs and a power brake booster to it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1452673-disc-drum-brake-valve-bracket-attached-to-booster.html

10/04/2016 3:13 AM  #20

ultrastang wrote:

For the past 3 or so months (in my spare time), I had been working on a '72 F100 long bed Sport Custom for a guy that lives 80 miles away (he's the guy I bought my '69 F100 short bed Ranger from in April, 2011). I put front discs on this '72 and added a booster with a 'modern' MC to it.

He's only had this '72 for about 8 months now so, there's still lots left to do in most all areas of it. This is an account of some of the things I had done on this truck, during the addition of front discs and a power brake booster to it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1452673-disc-drum-brake-valve-bracket-attached-to-booster.html

That looks really nice! Also fascinating to see for how long Ford actually used some of the I-beam front axle design.

10/04/2016 10:00 PM  #21

Gee Whiz Hakan!!......What nice work!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/07/2016 8:50 PM  #22

Just astounding!  I'm always just stunned by the amazing work on your car!

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.