FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2013 11:05 AM  #1

Leaky C4

Think I have my leak narrowed down to the dipstick filler tube.  I plan on replacing the o-ring at least.  Should I do anything else? Anyone know what size o-ring it is?  Should I try an oversized o-ring?

Thanks.

6/13/2013 11:15 AM  #2

Re: Leaky C4

If thats the only leak your c 4 has your lucky!  I had mine rebuilt by a transmission shop and after a year or so it started leaking and I never really was able to get them pinpointed and stopped.  What reading I did on the subject said that was typical for a c-4.  that doesn't make it right !!

I cant be much help with the size but I doubt an oversized one will go into place.  best thing is to take the old one off and take it when and where you can find them and get one as close as you can.  then when you start to insert it to the tranny put a little tranny fluid on the o ring so it dont roll off or bind

6/13/2013 11:21 AM  #3

what t said......my c-4's never leake there but did leak around the shifter shaft.....yours is an easier fix

6/13/2013 12:58 PM  #4

if your seals and lines are good then your c4 shouldn't leak.  Any of your local part sources or transmission shops can get you the proper Oring with out any pain and it should be a buck or two at the most.  make sure your trans if cool when you swap that oring or you'll have fluid all over.  Do it in the am after the car sits all night.  easy to do if you can get under the car. 

Don't let the c4 scare you.  Its easy to work on.

6/13/2013 2:42 PM  #5

Novi Rick wrote:

Think I have my leak narrowed down to the dipstick filler tube.  I plan on replacing the o-ring at least.  Should I do anything else? Anyone know what size o-ring it is?  Should I try an oversized o-ring?

Thanks.

When you take the old one out match it up at the store ( should be a snug fit ) ...lube it before installing it...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

6/13/2013 3:00 PM  #6

It has been suggested by some other sources that some well placed silicone sealant be used sparingly in conjunction with the o-ring.  Should I?

6/13/2013 4:05 PM  #7

Novi Rick wrote:

It has been suggested by some other sources that some well placed silicone sealant be used sparingly in conjunction with the o-ring.  Should I?

NO.......jj

Last edited by jerseyjoe (6/13/2013 4:06 PM)

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.