FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2016 11:09 AM  #1

Installing a Borgeson Box in a 66

Since it is a little slow on the Forum, I thought I would share that I am doing an install of a Borgeson power steering box on a 66 Coupe. The car is a T code that now has a 302 and a complete 5 lug conversion including the steering linkages. So far, I have mounted the pump and removed the original manual steering box. I have the new box in place and held in with one bolt. It was pretty tight getting the new box in place, I had to remove the master cylinder but it cleared everything else including the headers. I will update as I make progress.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

10/21/2016 1:47 PM  #2

Re: Installing a Borgeson Box in a 66

Glad to hear you are getting going on that, Bob.  Hope you are as happy with your's as I am with ours.  If you can find an OEM type power steering idler arm be sure to install that...really helps with return to center.  Also, as you know, dial in as much caster as you can. 

​Good luck, see you and Cindy in less than a year.

Bob

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/22/2016 9:00 AM  #3

Bullet Bob wrote:

Glad to hear you are getting going on that, Bob.  Hope you are as happy with your's as I am with ours.  If you can find an OEM type power steering idler arm be sure to install that...really helps with return to center.  Also, as you know, dial in as much caster as you can. 

​Good luck, see you and Cindy in less than a year.

Bob

Or use a roller bearing idler.....which I didn't do....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

10/22/2016 9:44 AM  #4

I do have a roller bearing idler that I installed when I upgraded the steering. I am going to see how it returns to center with that on my test drive first because the manual steering box was very quick to return to center. More progress on the install. I have the steering box bolted in (I needed to get a replacement for one of the bolts) the hoses are connected and the pitman arm back on. I need to clean up and paint the column before it goes back together. The new steering box has more clearance from the headers than the original manual which I didn't expect because it is slightly larger. I have the MS bearing for the firewall end of the steering shaft that I need to install too.

10/22/2016 11:20 AM  #5

I did some work on a 65 conv last year with a Borgeson setup installed.  Had to have hoses remade longer, as they ran almost on exhaust manifold and head.  They would have burned on short order, and it was not possible to change plugs.  Hope that is not common to all kits.
Best,
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

10/22/2016 11:32 AM  #6

I had  the  hoses made  custom by a local truck supply co.  They are tight to the shock tower and a bit high.  Not near  the  head or exhaust and no interference  with spark  plugs .

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/22/2016 1:01 PM  #7

I made custom hoses with tubing goose necks that come upward out of the box then curve down and under the frame then up to the pump...completely clearing the heads/headers.......jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

10/24/2016 7:18 AM  #8

Here is the latest update. I finally got a warm and dry enough day to paint the steering column and master cylinder (WYAIT) so today I can get those installed, and purge the steering box. It looks like I might get this thing on the road for a test drive this week weather permitting. I should at least be able to get everything back together and fire it up to check for leaks.

10/26/2016 1:30 PM  #9

Another latest update: I think I have the column installed properly. (4th time was the charm) I did have to make a run to NPD for new column to firewall seal and gasket. I did start the car and purge the steering box. FYI, the pump purges fluid quickly even at an idle so get a bigger container than a 20 oz. pop bottle at the return line. On the up side, no leaks at the hose connections so far. I still need to finish purging the air out of the system now that I have a new quart of power steering fluid, reinstall the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. I'm still hoping for a test drive on Sat. if the rain clears out.

10/26/2016 3:09 PM  #10

Bob, what did you use for the lower bearing?  The biggest problem with the Borgeson shaft setup is there is nothing to keep it steady and the rag joint is the only thing that keeps the horn contacts at the correct compression distance.
You do know about the SSBK-1 lower bearing kit, right?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/26/2016 3:47 PM  #11

Of course you know I used your lower bearing kit. Thank goodness it is already installed, I don't think I could climb under that dash one more time.

10/26/2016 5:16 PM  #12

Let me know how the test drive goes.

I have a 1967 which I currently have a RRS power rack on and thinking about going a different route.

10/27/2016 10:47 AM  #13

I am glad to hear of another borgeson here! I love the system. Now if I could only get myself to change the old powersteering pump out LOL .. 

hope to hear about the drive soon!

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

10/28/2016 1:36 PM  #14

Here is the latest update on the install: I have everything back together, the PS system is purged of air, still no leaks, so it looks like a test drive tomorrow.  I still need to bleed the brakes. Tomorrow (Saturday) is supposed to be nice with some sunshine.

10/28/2016 2:15 PM  #15

Bob, did you use the u-joint or a rag joint?  Looks like you could use either, but I don't know which is better than the other?

10/28/2016 4:51 PM  #16

Hi Ozblitz. I used the rag joint that came with the kit. I had read that some people thought the provided rag joint was not very well built but the one I received looks like you could steer a tank with it.

10/28/2016 7:07 PM  #17

Thanks Bob,
I'm about to under take the same upgrade, so just curious about the 2 different types?

10/30/2016 6:26 AM  #18

Test Drive:  The rain quit and the road was relatively dry so it was test drive day yesterday. The car steers great. It is so nice to have all the slop gone from the original steering box. The power is nice too, I was able to use one finger to corner. The return to center could be a little better so I am going to check my alignment and see if I can dial in a little more caster and maybe look for an OEM idler arm. I only put a few miles on it then home to check for leaks. I did need to tighten one fitting for a minor weep. I was a little concerned about how hot the pump was when I opened the hood. Maybe someone who has installed a Borgeson system or is just knows more about power steering could chime in about operating temperatures. I am going to give Borgeson a call on Monday and ask about operating temps and make sure my fluid is correct. The instructions only stated a good quality PS fluid with no details.

10/30/2016 4:44 PM  #19

Hi, I was looking at doing power steering conversion. Could you or someone tell me if there was a complete original setup available would you go with it? I have found such a thing, the listing states in like new condition including pump,mounting bracket,gear box all components wheel to wheel.
I was wondering if there are problems with the original? Is the Borgeson Box conversion that much better?  

10/30/2016 5:15 PM  #20

IMHO The borg box is that much better!!!

10/31/2016 8:02 AM  #21

Update on the test drive. I talked to the tech guy at Borgeson this morning and he said the temp at the pump could run 220-240 degrees but he recommended that I install a fluid cooler. He said some installations need the cooler due to the proximity to headers etc.  I found one online and ordered it this morning. I will update everyone on how well it works once it arrives and I get it installed.

10/31/2016 11:40 AM  #22

rockstar wrote:

Hi, I was looking at doing power steering conversion. Could you or someone tell me if there was a complete original setup available would you go with it? I have found such a thing, the listing states in like new condition including pump,mounting bracket,gear box all components wheel to wheel.
I was wondering if there are problems with the original? Is the Borgeson Box conversion that much better?  

I had a "very good" stock system but it really never felt all that precise.  Also, while mine did not leak I felt that if was just a matter of time.
​The Borg box feels much better on twisty roads, has fewer places to leak from...and doesn't, and the boost with a Ford 5.0 pump seems to be just right...plenty but not too much.

​X2 on what Howard says.

BB

11/14/2016 8:32 AM  #23

Ive been following your Borg install..hows things going now? like it?
Wondering if anyone has kept the old pump with this setup and do you like it?
Also planning on Mustang Steve bearing at column end, any one got any pointers on installing it and making room for it?

Thanks Wayne50f1

11/22/2016 5:35 PM  #24

Latest Update: I did manage to get the fluid cooler installed. I had to make some brackets since I wasn't comfortable with the mounting method it came with. I didn't like the idea of poking the plastic holders through my radiator. Unfortunately, the weather did not allow for a test drive today but I am hopeful that I can get one in on the weekend if the roads don't get salted before then. I did start the engine to check for leaks and it all looks good in the garage. Fingers crossed for the test drive.

11/26/2016 11:10 AM  #25

Test Drive. I managed to sneak between the raindrops today and get a test drive done. Everything seems to work just fine. The cooler kept the fluid temperature down and the car steers great. I did manage to get the steering wheel on one spline too far to the right so that will have to come off but no other problems came up. It looks like it is time to put it into storage till spring. I think the Borgeson makes a good replacement for either a manual box or an original power steering box.
Thanks for following along.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.