FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2016 12:28 PM  #1

66 289 main bearing won't go in

Hi all,

I'm starting to assemble my stock 289 I just got from the machine shop. Most of the crankshaft bearings pushed in by hand fine. When I try to push in the rear main crankshaft bearing, I can't push it in by hand in the cap or the block. Any ideas? Thanks.

10/22/2016 12:55 PM  #2

Re: 66 289 main bearing won't go in

You can double check bearing measure , first .
I never put bearings on crank but , i put a lot of bearing in my job , but none by hands . too loose will make me souspicious .
Many time bearing on axle were assembled warming it .
Hope this help

10/22/2016 12:56 PM  #3

That's odd, it should go right in.  Sometimes you need to tap them a little with a plastic hammer to get them fully seated, but if it won't go in at all it seems something's wrong.  Any way you can post a pic?

10/22/2016 1:32 PM  #4

You should always have to distort the bearing a tiny bit to get it to go in.  I always put the tang end first then push it in by hand.  If you need tools, something is amiss.

You do know the thrust bearing on a SBF goes in the center main bearing, not the rear main like a SBC, right?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/22/2016 1:34 PM  #5

Here is a bearing picture. I can't push it anymore by hand. I'm a newbie when it comes to SBF engines, be nice. Is this the one that should go in the middle?

Last edited by StangStinson (10/22/2016 1:42 PM)

10/22/2016 1:51 PM  #6

This was a newbie problem. You were right I was trying to put it in the back. Fit just right in the middle, Thanks. 

10/22/2016 2:42 PM  #7

I've built a lot more Chevy motors than Fords over the years, so my tendency is also to put the thrust bearing on #5.  I though that might be your issue.  Glad it was an easy fix.

10/22/2016 9:23 PM  #8

Tom Monroe's How to build a Small Block Ford Engine...is your friend hear!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/23/2016 8:33 AM  #9

Be sure and check crankshaft end play, you may have sprung the bearing side thrust plates. If not enough end play clearance the bearing could seize, spin and wreck crank and block. Just make sure you have end play!!! 

10/23/2016 10:55 AM  #10

Smack the crank each way with a deadblow mallet first.  That makes sure the thrust bearing is seated and might fix it if you tweaked it a bit. 

10/24/2016 6:28 PM  #11

a good indicator on any thrust bearing location, is the block side for the thrust, will be undercut to accept the thrust flange of the bearing half.  Jerry

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

10/24/2016 6:54 PM  #12

make sure you didnt move any of the bearing material on the back side of the bearing creating any sort of raised area by trying to press them onto the wrong journal. If there are any raised areas or scrapes on the back side lightly sand or file them flat and wash the bearing. Lube and assemble engine making sure to turn it over after tightening the main journals. Check clearances, check thrust to make sure nothing went wonky.

10/24/2016 7:09 PM  #13

Yes, always do a spin test after installing the crank.  If you can't spin it by just grabbing the snout and rotating is something is wrong.  FYI, if you install main studs in an engine you will likely have to have the line bore honed because the extra clamp load will distort the bores and pinch the bearings. 

10/25/2016 4:08 PM  #14

TKOPerformance wrote:

Yes, always do a spin test after installing the crank.  If you can't spin it by just grabbing the snout and rotating is something is wrong.  FYI, if you install main studs in an engine you will likely have to have the line bore honed because the extra clamp load will distort the bores and pinch the bearings. 

Why does a stud torqued to the same value as a bolt create more clamping force?

10/25/2016 4:30 PM  #15

Most studs have National Course threads in the block with SAE threads on the nut end.  SAE threads have a more shallow angle which provides better thread leverage.  For example, a 1/2" NC thread commonly seen on head bolts and main caps will have 13 threads per inch.  A 1/2" SAE thread, commonly seen on stud nuts will have 20 threads per inch.
Wikipedia has a pretty nice description of thread sizes;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_thread
If anyone ever uses ARP rod bolts, they torque by bolt stretch instead of turning torque of the bolt head.

10/25/2016 6:13 PM  #16

Thank you for all the helpful tips. I'm sure lots more questions coming.

10/26/2016 5:45 AM  #17

MS wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Why does a stud torqued to the same value as a bolt create more clamping force?

As 66coupe said, the different thread pitch, and also because studs stretch the fastener instead of pulling on the threads in the block.  This also greatly reduces damage to the threads in the block, which is the other half of the reason why studs are always used in a race engine, because the threads in the block don't suffer from repeated teardowns. 

10/26/2016 1:44 PM  #18

I do not follow the logic of having to line bore if studs are installed. I have used studs on sbf engines with no issues.

10/26/2016 5:17 PM  #19

And I have had issues, which is why I bring it up.  My 347 had to be line bored to get proper bearing clearance.  In fairness, this is the only SBF I've ever put studs in the mains, and I've studded several SBCs and BBCs and never had an issue, but I also always check everything religiously, even if its been to the machine shop, so I spot a problem like that before the engine ever runs. 

Also remember that torque is deceptive.  When we measure torque with a torque wrench we are actually measuring resistance to turning.  Something as simple as applying lube to the fastener and what type of lube can make a dramatic difference in how much it should be torqued.  When you torque and ARP stud you are using ARP lube, but when you torque a normal main bolt its either dry of with engine oil (usually 30 weight), so that alone makes a big difference.  The goal is to achieve a specific fastener stretch, but that's impossible to read directly in a blind tapped hole, so the fastener's manufacturer has figured out that with a certain lube and at a certain measured resistance to turning, read in lbs/ft, the fastener has been sufficiently stretched.  If you read ARP's instructions though they specify using their lube because the studs produce higher friction and motor oil is inconsistent.  Even at the same torque value as read on a wrench the studs are producing a higher and more consistent clamp load, if for no reason other than the lube you use with them reduces friction considerably more than a dry fastener, or even one lubed with motor oil. 

10/26/2016 7:11 PM  #20

I have replaced 100's of connecting rod bolts with ARP bolts. They recommend that the rod be reconditioned after replacing the bolts. I have measured the bores before and after, and it's true they need to be reconditioned. I know a connecting rod is not a block and main cap but the same thing happened with the few main stud kits we have installed granted they were all on chevy blocks and no fords.

10/28/2016 9:43 PM  #21

Connecting rod bolts being replaced add distortion to the rods since they are either curved or knurled for an interference fit. That does require resising the rods.  That does not apply to a main stud.

Main studs are screwed into the block by hand and they do not distort the block any more or any less than a bolt once the nut is torqued.  I am not convinced the main caps are distorted more as a nut is tightened with fine threads vs coarse threads. Usually with ARP bolts or studs using the slippery ARP lubricants, a lower torque value is called out to provide the same stretch value as the original bolt.  A more accurate torque value is reached using studs with a nut, and the typical stud has more tensile strength than the typical bolt.

10/29/2016 6:38 AM  #22

Any time rods are rebuilt they are resized.  I don't know if its the new bolts distorting the rods, or just that the rods take the biggest pounding and tend to be oblonged in the bearing bore from it, but it needs to be done regardless.  That's why I haven't rebuilt a set of rods in years because after you factor in the cost of new bolts, resizing, Magnafluxing, etc. you can basically buy a stronger set of entry level aftermarket rods.

FYI, stock Ford small block main bolts are torqued to 70lbs/ft. with engine oil as a lube.  ARP studs are torqued to 80 lbs./ft. with ARP lube.  Considering the reduction in friction with the ARP lube this is a substantial increase in clamp load, and could certainly distort the bore.  Again, clearly this doesn't happen in all instances, but this is why you always check bearing clearances.  If its not a problem, great.  If I'd not bothered to check and run my 347 the way it was the bearings and likely the crank would have been junk before I knew what was happening. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.