FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2016 5:15 AM  #1

lower control arm with strut rod = strut arm . pros/ cons

Hi everyone , i put my eyes on this new release of strut arm and i am asking some pro/cons about this ensamble.vs oem strut rod and lower arm.
Any suggestion is welcome.
thanks! 

11/06/2016 7:02 AM  #2

Re: lower control arm with strut rod = strut arm . pros/ cons

Any more information available?  Website you can link us to?

From that pic it doesn't look any different than the factory setup.  The strut rods bolt to the LCAs anyway.  It looks like a stronger setup because it isn't stamped steel, and looks like its done away with the rubber bushings, but what is that really worth?  What's this setup cost? 

11/06/2016 7:26 AM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

Any more information available?  Website you can link us to?

From that pic it doesn't look any different than the factory setup.  The strut rods bolt to the LCAs anyway.  It looks like a stronger setup because it isn't stamped steel, and looks like its done away with the rubber bushings, but what is that really worth?  What's this setup cost? 

hello TKO, 

this set up comes from pacific thunder performance . They drowed and made this during this year.
right and left are priced more or less 550 usd ( as i remember ) not so far from renforced oem LCA + STRUT.
i am thinking about this as a stronger lower with benefit of eye bearing instead of gum bushing .

until now for my stang upgrade i bought UCA with roller bearing and saddle with roller ( from opentracker ) and i thought it will be a nice match with this strut arms . 
thanks !

11/06/2016 9:31 AM  #4

I had considered building something almost exactly the same as that, but I could not see any real benefit to having it.  I have the adjustable strut rods with the spherical rod ends on my car now and can't wait to get rid of them and go back to the rubber strut rod bushings.  You feel every little thing in the road with spherical rod ends.  If that is your goal, great, but I prefer a smoother ride when on long trips.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/06/2016 10:19 AM  #5

yes , i think that hard ride is something to take note . 
Do you think , with adjustable shocks , to make this  ride more confortable with this strut arm ?
I haven't already buy the LCA  and  i can decide which one is better for my ride . But i still believe the oem system is obsolete .
thanks 

11/06/2016 12:56 PM  #6

The OEM system is actually a good design in theory, it needs help in practice.  A short/long arm suspension is inherently better than the strut type front end most cars have now.  Strut front ends are used because they are cheaper to produce, not better for handling.  Look at anything designed to handle that isn't a budget minded car and you'll see either an SLA front end or an equal length arm front end (that's kind of Indy car stuff, but high end exotics often use that system). 

The problem with the early Mustang front end isn't its style of suspension; its that it was built in an era of obsolete tire technology and prior to CAD design where a real camber curve could be designed.  Its so good in fact that simply dropping the upper control arms and moving them rearward a little corrects most of its problems.  The two biggest issues are a lack of positive caster and too much camber gain as the suspension cycles.  Both of those are corrected with the Shelby drop. 

Beyond that, you could box your own lower control arms and add better bushings and be very close to what this $550 setup is claiming to accomplish. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (11/06/2016 5:28 PM)

11/06/2016 2:59 PM  #7

No shock absorber is going to relieve the clanking from the strut rod bushings.  I agree with TKO there is really no reason to mess with the original design other than to strengthen the parts and do the Shelby drop.
I have issued this challenge for years with no takers yet. Show me your high dollar front suspension is substantially better than a modified stock setup and I will buy one.  So far, I have driven one, a Fat Man conversion, and I found it very slow to react to driver stimulus. In other words, it was worse than stock, and it even had a R&P included.  I just think your hard earned modification dollars can be better spent on something else.

11/06/2016 4:25 PM  #8

Thank you i really appreciate this suggestions and is really needed to save the budget .
Thanks again !

11/06/2016 5:30 PM  #9

Yep, coilovers and tubular control arms look real sexy, but they still use the factory pickup points so what are you really changing?  You can sink $6,000-$8,000 into one of these setups and get beat around a track by a properly setup car with mostly stock parts.

11/06/2016 5:48 PM  #10

MS wrote:

No shock absorber is going to relieve the clanking from the strut rod bushings. I agree with TKO there is really no reason to mess with the original design other than to strengthen the parts and do the Shelby drop.
I have issued this challenge for years with no takers yet. Show me your high dollar front suspension is substantially better than a modified stock setup and I will buy one. So far, I have driven one, a Fat Man conversion, and I found it very slow to react to driver stimulus. In other words, it was worse than stock, and it even had a R&P included. I just think your hard earned modification dollars can be better spent on something else.

X2 on the clanking of the spherical rod ends.  I recently returned mine to stock and like it much better.  I do not race it, so the added suspension solidity does me no good.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/06/2016 10:08 PM  #11

X-3^^^^
If you do the Shelby drop/Arning drop... Larger sway bar...Monte Carlo bar...one piece export brace... and new shocks..I promise it will corner like it is on rails!(I like the rollerized spring perches too)
Waaay cheaper than what you are looking at.
6s6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/07/2016 3:34 AM  #12

Thanks guys ! I will follow the right way !
Always thumbs up !
  I saved  550 + shipping + tax  more or less  800 USD to spend in a better way !
More than helpful !

11/07/2016 5:18 AM  #13

6sally6 wrote:

X-3^^^^
If you do the Shelby drop/Arning drop... Larger sway bar...Monte Carlo bar...one piece export brace... and new shocks..I promise it will corner like it is on rails!(I like the rollerized spring perches too)
Waaay cheaper than what you are looking at.
6s6 

Regarding Shelby drop i must use a negative wedge kit or not ?  I am thinking about a street driving \ cruising not race or track .
As 1 inch drop i think is enough for me ,  for what i read about  , i dont Need a wedge kit .
Or i did some misunderstood ?
By now i got all dismantled and make two holes is really a job to do now .
Thanks !

11/07/2016 5:50 AM  #14

The negative wedge kit is designed to mimic the camber curve improvement of the Shelby drop, so if you do the drop there's no need for the kit. 

11/07/2016 8:12 AM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

The negative wedge kit is designed to mimic the camber curve improvement of the Shelby drop, so if you do the drop there's no need for the kit. 

Man now I'm really corn-fused.  I thought the neg wedge was to change the upper ball joint angle so as not to have it over-traveling on jounce on a very lowered car.  If that's the case, I don't see how that could have anything to do with the camber curve.  Please straighten me out.  Thanks.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/07/2016 12:03 PM  #16

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Man now I'm really corn-fused.  I thought the neg wedge was to change the upper ball joint angle so as not to have it over-traveling on jounce on a very lowered car.  If that's the case, I don't see how that could have anything to do with the camber curve.  Please straighten me out.  Thanks.

BB

For what i found in the web the wedge kit is used when dropping 1,75 inch and more .
A little help for ball joint to work with proper alignment .as you sayd .
But that s not my case .
These my little 2 cent

11/07/2016 3:13 PM  #17

There are issues when you drop it over 1", because the balljoint angle changes enough that the balljoint can bind causing rapid wear.  On the race cars Shelby used to drop them like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" and they took the balljoints and machined part of the housing down to prevent contact with the stud.  I guess that's what the negative wedge kit is doing, but you can use a stock type balljoint.  I always found that name misleading, because camber is widely called wedge in racing circles, so the implication is that it gives the suspension negative camber. 

11/07/2016 4:37 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

There are issues when you drop it over 1", because the balljoint angle changes enough that the balljoint can bind causing rapid wear.  On the race cars Shelby used to drop them like 1-1/4"-1-1/2" and they took the balljoints and machined part of the housing down to prevent contact with the stud.  I guess that's what the negative wedge kit is doing, but you can use a stock type balljoint.  I always found that name misleading, because camber is widely called wedge in racing circles, so the implication is that it gives the suspension negative camber. 

I also heard that 1" is the best for street use.  a larger drop causes too steep a camber curve.  Fine on the track, but horrible on tires.  Shelby could go the extra distance because they did not care about tire wear.  Actually, I understand Shelby might have gone as far as 2.00" .  They may have done all of them to see what was best for track conditions.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (11/07/2016 4:38 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/07/2016 7:52 PM  #19

If one were to NEED the wedge kit because the UCAs were moved more than 1", it would make more sense and cost a ton less to just pie cut the UCA right inboard of the balljoint, bend the end of the UCA downward and then reweld it and add some strengtheners.  It accomplishes exactly the same thing but with zero cost.  Also, bolts don't like being run through angled wedges.  It just gives more places for something to come loose.  Angling the UCA outboard end is free if you can weld.

11/08/2016 4:30 AM  #20

Exactly, a much better, and free solution.  I suspect Shelby used the trickery with the balljoints because the class rules mandated OEM parts, so they couldn't simply modify the UCA.  So they machined some of the balljoint housing off the avoid the bind, but that was hidden under the dust cover (hey, its only cheating if you get caught right?). 

11/08/2016 7:26 AM  #21

MS wrote:

If one were to NEED the wedge kit because the UCAs were moved more than 1", it would make more sense and cost a ton less to just pie cut the UCA right inboard of the balljoint, bend the end of the UCA downward and then reweld it and add some strengtheners.  It accomplishes exactly the same thing but with zero cost.  Also, bolts don't like being run through angled wedges.  It just gives more places for something to come loose.  Angling the UCA outboard end is free if you can weld.

I have the 1 3/4" drop on the Mach, been that way for 20 years and I have been running the Negative Wedge Kit as well. Never hurt my tires, Alignment is no problem, I have taken the stuff apart several times for spring swaps and such. Always bolts back together just fine...nothing has ever come loose. That's just my $.02

Last edited by Mach1_Ron (11/08/2016 7:27 AM)

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

11/08/2016 7:29 PM  #22

Alessandro wrote:

Thank you i really appreciate this suggestions and is really needed to save the budget .
Thanks again !

If you decide you would like a low cost adjustable front strut, then see my post in the how-to section. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

11/09/2016 8:47 AM  #23

MS wrote:

If one were to NEED the wedge kit because the UCAs were moved more than 1", it would make more sense and cost a ton less to just pie cut the UCA right inboard of the balljoint, bend the end of the UCA downward and then reweld it and add some strengtheners....

I ran the wedge with a 1 5/8" drop for about 15 years without an issue. When I decided to upgrade some other components, brakes, steering etc.. around the UCAs I had I did exactly this. Took maybe an hour to do both sides and eliminated the wedge. Opentracker had a good write-up on this a few years back

6/18/2017 3:36 PM  #24

Has anybody tried putting 67 Mustang V8 front suspension arm strut that is adjustable on a 66 Mustang V8? 

6/18/2017 3:40 PM  #25

Has anybody tried putting 67 Mustang V8 front suspension arm strut that is adjustable on a 66 Mustang V8? 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.