FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2017 7:19 AM  #26

Re: lower control arm with strut rod = strut arm . pros/ cons

Not that I'm aware of but many people customize the stock strut rods, and make them into an adjustable rod. MustangSteves even has a link to show your how to build them.

6/19/2017 1:58 PM  #27

Rene wrote:

Has anybody tried putting 67 Mustang V8 front suspension arm strut that is adjustable on a 66 Mustang V8? 

It's done all the time. I have Street or Track adjustable struts on my car.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

6/19/2017 2:12 PM  #28

I know this is a old post. I brought up a point on the VFM about a problem in the design as well as several others. I think Tracy has made the fix. The problem with the arm in the photo, you need to have a clevis or a point where the strut can move on the arm. You simply can not lengthen one side of a triangle and still fit in the same foot print. Either you have to have the attachment point on the frame adjustable or you need to be able to change the rest of the angles on the arm to accommodate the length of strut as it changes. Failure to do so is going to cause a binding issue if nothing else.

Just think of the stock set up as a bolt together lower arm. I don't see a huge benefit of the 1 piece, maybe it's just me. I think just getting rid of the rubber bushing on the stock set up and replacing it with a mono bearing is very effective along with the regular adjustable struts

6/19/2017 3:14 PM  #29

The one piece arm doesn't add anything.  The LCA is stiffer, but a boxed stock type arm would be just about as stiff.  If you need adjustment you can buy or make adjustable strut rods.  Though I'd be careful with fabricating your own.  I've seen sites where they were using a cast steel clevis and modifying it, and then also noted that one had failed.  Then also noting that the supplier for those no longer offered them.  I'm thinking that might be more than a coincidence.  I would not want anything in a suspension that wasn't forged, and I wouldn't feel real comfortable grinding on it even if it was forged.  The issue I have is that the clevis is rated at X load, but you have no way of knowing how the grinding you are doing effects its load carrying ability.  A little material removed in a critical area could cut its load holding ability in half.  So my advice would be to stay away from that type of strut rod. 

6/19/2017 3:36 PM  #30

TKOPerformance wrote:

The one piece arm doesn't add anything.  The LCA is stiffer, but a boxed stock type arm would be just about as stiff.  If you need adjustment you can buy or make adjustable strut rods.  Though I'd be careful with fabricating your own.  I've seen sites where they were using a cast steel clevis and modifying it, and then also noted that one had failed.  Then also noting that the supplier for those no longer offered them.  I'm thinking that might be more than a coincidence.  I would not want anything in a suspension that wasn't forged, and I wouldn't feel real comfortable grinding on it even if it was forged.  The issue I have is that the clevis is rated at X load, but you have no way of knowing how the grinding you are doing effects its load carrying ability.  A little material removed in a critical area could cut its load holding ability in half.  So my advice would be to stay away from that type of strut rod. 

That's exactly why I bought parts made by a company that has spent the money on engineering and testing and professionally made on a critical part then make something like this at home. It would be one thing if a part failed while I was driving and I got hurt but I never would be able to forgive myself if someone else got hurt.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.