FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2016 10:02 AM  #1

Ford EEC-IV or Pro-M fuel injection?

I have decided that the next project for my 66 coupe will be fuel injection. I do not have anything radical for the engine so pretty much anything I use will run fine.

I have a full EEC-IV harness and computer in my garage that can go on the car. The harness is in good shape considering the age. The salt and pepper connectors on the back of the engine have the tabs broken off, but doesn't every Fox car have the same problem already? Anyway...

My concern is that the harness and computer is already 20+ years old. Is there any substantiated concern that the EEC-IV computers are starting to have issues from the capacitors and other components inside? I would hate to go through the effort to convert the car to only have issues with the system in a few years.

The alternative would be to get the PRO-M fuel injection computer and harness (~$2000). This is my alternative since it is the only aftermarket system that uses mass-air natively and not as an optional add on. I haven't heard any real detractors from the PRO-M system, are there any?

I would prefer to just use the Ford harness I have, but I am trying to be smart about this. I plan on keeping the car for quite some time and not spending $2000 on the fuel injection could be put to good use somewhere else on the car.   
BobN

11/15/2016 10:32 AM  #2

Re: Ford EEC-IV or Pro-M fuel injection?

If the EECIVs are having problems I haven't heard of it.  I am in the process of restoring my '89GT, and am also on the Fox body boards and have not heard of any age related failures in the EECIV system.  I would contend that the system is simple enough that it will likely avoid those failures, and it was made at a time where lead solder was still being used and lead doesn't have the failure issues you can get from lead free solder. 

The biggest issue I see is connector failure, but all of those connectors are pretty much available aftermarket and if you spend a little time seeing how they're put together you can just repin the connector into a new body and avoid a bunch of splices. 

I would use the EECIV parts without concern.  Its probably the best factory EFI system ever, especially for a retrofit application. 

11/15/2016 11:07 AM  #3

Bob;

The EEC-IV system is pretty much rock solid from everything I have learned.  A lot of folks are still using it for various applications and it can be tweaked to handle just about anything you might want.  I do know that Glen Buzek had a problem with an electrolytic cap springing a leak in his A9L and others probably have also.  But, it's relatively easy to fix.  I do recommend you open and check any EEC-IV PCM you use to make sure you fix this problem, if it exists, sooner rather than later.
Also, if you decide at some point to go to an automatic trans, you can do a 4R70W and use a 94-95 Mustang 5.O Auto PCM and have one box control the engine and trans.  I just picked up the computer and the trans is on the shop floor.  I hope to make this swap  next winter....maybe.

As for the harness:  Most likely you will want to clean up and redesign the harness to fit the early car.  I recommend that you scrap the salt/pepper shaker connectors in the process.  They are ugly and apparently have a rep for causing trouble.  As TKO has stated, most of the connectors are available but I've only found them with pig-tails...not clean with terminals.  Used to be able to get them from RJM Injection but he has apparently gone away...too bad, he was a great source.  It's nice to avoid splices but if you do them properly and stagger them, they can be burried in the loom and, in my opinion, are way better than leaving broken or corroded connectors.

'Nuther thing:  If you want to keep the battery where H. Ford, L. Iacoca, and God intended it, you can turn the upper intake around to face the left side.  This allows the MAF and air cleaner to occupy space not otherwise needed.  Also, this allows you to use the stock throttle linkage with minor mods....no cable required.  If you want to consider this, shoot me a pm and I'll fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/15/2016 11:10 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/16/2016 5:18 AM  #4

Yeah, you end up having to buy the pigtail, but if the terminals are in good shape you can just repin them into the new body.  You pay too much for the pigtail IMO, but I searched high and low and cannot find just the bodies.  If the terminals are bad you can splice in the wires from the pigtail (staggered as BB said to avoid an obvious bulge in the harness), or I would check Mouser Electronics.  They have most types of terminals, though you'll have to do some searching since they have literally thousands of types and they aren't broken down by vehicle, make, etc. 

11/16/2016 6:21 AM  #5

Bullet Bob wrote:

Bob;  Love your Engine BB!

The EEC-IV system is pretty much rock solid from everything I have learned.  A lot of folks are still using it for various applications and it can be tweaked to handle just about anything you might want.  I do know that Glen Buzek had a problem with an electrolytic cap springing a leak in his A9L and others probably have also.  But, it's relatively easy to fix.  I do recommend you open and check any EEC-IV PCM you use to make sure you fix this problem, if it exists, sooner rather than later.
Also, if you decide at some point to go to an automatic trans, you can do a 4R70W and use a 94-95 Mustang 5.O Auto PCM and have one box control the engine and trans.  I just picked up the computer and the trans is on the shop floor.  I hope to make this swap  next winter....maybe.

As for the harness:  Most likely you will want to clean up and redesign the harness to fit the early car.  I recommend that you scrap the salt/pepper shaker connectors in the process.  They are ugly and apparently have a rep for causing trouble.  As TKO has stated, most of the connectors are available but I've only found them with pig-tails...not clean with terminals.  Used to be able to get them from RJM Injection but he has apparently gone away...too bad, he was a great source.  It's nice to avoid splices but if you do them properly and stagger them, they can be burried in the loom and, in my opinion, are way better than leaving broken or corroded connectors.

'Nuther thing:  If you want to keep the battery where H. Ford, L. Iacoca, and God intended it, you can turn the upper intake around to face the left side.  This allows the MAF and air cleaner to occupy space not otherwise needed.  Also, this allows you to use the stock throttle linkage with minor mods....no cable required.  If you want to consider this, shoot me a pm and I'll fill in the blanks.

Good luck.

BB

11/16/2016 2:39 PM  #6

Bob, is that little chain (with blue RTV on it maybe?) for a cruise control system?  

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

11/16/2016 3:13 PM  #7

Technomancer wrote:

Bob, is that little chain (with blue RTV on it maybe?) for a cruise control system?  

Yup...servo is mounted to the right of the glove box.  Only thing under the hood is that chain.  Control is an add-on TS stalk I found at Summit for $15.  System is an Audiovaux CCS-100.  Works great.  Sal has one in his Hardtop also.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/16/2016 3:15 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/17/2016 12:46 AM  #8

That is pretty sweet!  Well done, guys!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." - Abraham Lincoln

11/17/2016 2:15 PM  #9

Also for the librairy...when I found the bad capacitors on my A9L I was able to still get a reman computer that was repaired and tested.  No more problemo's

Last edited by Glens 1965 50 (11/17/2016 2:16 PM)

11/17/2016 3:42 PM  #10

There are also several million Fox bodys out there, so finding spares is never that challenging.  You could buy several spare systems for the cost of one Pro-M. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.