FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2013 5:05 AM  #1

I want to put an AOD in my 1966 Coupe

I would like to put an AOD transmission in my 1966 and couple it to a 5.0 HO from a later Fox (not quite sure what year the engine is). The Fox that I have is a 1983 model with an EFI engine in it but from what I can find out, the EFI engine was not fitted until after 1983. Unfortunately the fox gearbox is a 3 speed auto.
My main question is, what gearbox/year model should I be looking for and does anyone who has converted to a manual gearbox have one?
I have family in Frisco where it could be shipped to and as I work for British Airways, I can ship it home for free from there. Any help greatly appreciated.

6/14/2013 10:24 AM  #2

Re: I want to put an AOD in my 1966 Coupe

go to the "original Mustangsteve forum" find the "search" box and search the archives....

6/14/2013 11:29 AM  #3

Thanks.

6/14/2013 2:59 PM  #4

gkm24 wrote:

I would like to put an AOD transmission in my 1966 and couple it to a 5.0 HO from a later Fox (not quite sure what year the engine is). The Fox that I have is a 1983 model with an EFI engine in it but from what I can find out, the EFI engine was not fitted until after 1983. Unfortunately the fox gearbox is a 3 speed auto.
My main question is, what gearbox/year model should I be looking for and does anyone who has converted to a manual gearbox have one?

I'm just a little confused!   First I need to understand, You have a 66 and you are going to take the engine out of the 83 foxbody and put it in the 66???  YOu want an AOD transmission to put behind it??? If the car is going to have EFI when you get it moved into the 66 the you should use a 4R70W out of a 96 to 04 V6 mustang as it has the same bolt config. as your 5.0 block and with EFI you will have the control for the electronic shifting in the 4R70W.  YOu can use an AOD but the 4r70w is a better tranny.  I have a 87 5.0ho with a 82 AOD in my 65 and it works pretty good the 4r70w shifts better .
I think my dates are accurate on what will fit. some one else can confirm this.
There has been ALOT of discussion on this thus the search option will tell you ALOT!
Welcome to the forum!!

6/14/2013 7:14 PM  #5

terry wrote:

..... you are going to take the engine out of the 83 foxbody and put it in the 66???  YOu want an AOD transmission to put behind it??? If the car is going to have EFI when you get it moved into the 66 the you should use a 4R70W out of a 96 to 04 V6 mustang as it has the same bolt config. as your 5.0 block and with EFI you will have the control for the electronic shifting in the 4R70W.  YOu can use an AOD but the 4r70w is a better tranny.  I have a 87 5.0ho with a 82 AOD in my 65 and it works pretty good the 4r70w shifts better .
I think my dates are accurate on what will fit.....
Welcome to the forum!!

Yes!! Welcome to the forum.
Terry HAS been listening, well purdy close anywho, Best 4R70W's are just as terry said cept 98-04 years.
There are several very informative threads on the archives.

Tubo
65 2+2 w/EFI 331 & 4R70W formerly had an AOD
73 Vert 4bbl 308 w/4R70W

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/14/2013 7:48 PM  #6

Thats why I said I was not positive on the dates.  I was going to offer to send him a copy of you article, but it was on my laptop that crashed!!  I need to transfer it to my new one!!
what is wrong with the 96 and 97 4r70ws?  I googled 4R70w and it came up with 96 to 04??  of scourse that was according to wikipedia!! and everyone knows thats factual!!!

6/14/2013 8:11 PM  #7

terry wrote:

........what is wrong with the 96 and 97 4r70ws?  .....

Nothing, cept they didn't have the improved shift diodes. And before 96 they were AODE's

Last edited by Tubo (6/14/2013 8:13 PM)

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

6/14/2013 9:00 PM  #8

i remember that now!!!  sorry I let u down!!!

6/14/2013 11:42 PM  #9

I personally think electronics should stay out of autos...a good old c4 or built aod shifts just as well as the electronic auto in my hemi ram..but is less complicated....4rw70 internals in the aod is the best way to go imo

6/15/2013 3:08 AM  #10

I was going to put a Non Electronic AOD in the car but seeing as I am putting the EFI in it, that seems a bit silly.
Not sure what power the Fox engine is as I dont think they put EFI in in 1983. I will have to check the casting numbers when I pull the engine.
Pic of My car as i picked it up from the Docks fresh from SanDiego

6/15/2013 3:27 AM  #11

Terry, What is the model number of the 82 AOD tranny that you have?

6/15/2013 5:40 AM  #12

well I would have to look!  It came out of an 82 Thunderbird so logically it would be E2SP-XXXX  I would have to actually look as that dont sound right but according to the decoder thats what it should be I attached a link to a decoder to help.  My Engine is E7TE out of an 87 truck

http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

Last edited by terry (6/15/2013 5:41 AM)

6/15/2013 8:42 AM  #13

Excuse my ignorance here but US car parts are few and far between in the UK.
Would somebody possibly be kind enough to list a few early cars with  AOD boxes that I might find over here that I could use with my 302 EFi in my 66 Coupe. Does not have to be AOD E in fact I would prefer it not to be.
Really appreciate it as I am trying to get my parts together to start the project.

6/15/2013 9:11 AM  #14

first year for efi was 86.  They still had non electronic aods till 93 i think. aods came in just about any v8 ford of that era including the 5.0  trucks till about 90.  crown vics, lincolns...the 4x4 had a shorter output shaft though and I believe some if the larger lincolns may have a longer one

6/15/2013 9:47 AM  #15

Just so you understand.  The early EFI does NOT have the transmission control built in with the exception of the 94-95 Mustang (and possibly others) EEC-IV, 60 pin PCM.  That PCM will not operate a post 99 4R70W, as TUBO and I discovered.

If you want the EFI computer to run the engine and trans you will need to obtaing all the stuff from a 94 or 95 computer...and I mean ALL the stuff including the harness.   Moding the harness from one of those cars is, well, involved.  Not impossible butt (TS&T), involved.

Maybe Barry from Ausrailia will chime in here.

If you want a 4R70W (or AODE) the best bet with either a carb or EEC-IV injection would be to buy a separate controller (Baumann runs about $600) as it gives you complete programming control.

The 4R70W is a much nicer box but the AOD works fine for normal cruising and is much, much simpler and cheaper to do.

IMO Corky,

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/15/2013 12:06 PM  #16

Thanks for that. I will use an early AOD to keep it simple. I can take a look in the UK now for a car with an early trans and use that in my 66.

6/15/2013 1:05 PM  #17

gkm24 wrote:

Thanks for that. I will use an early AOD to keep it simple. I can take a look in the UK now for a car with an early trans and use that in my 66.

If you are intent on an AOD, the ones to stay away from are the 1980-1987 models. They had several internal flaws (particularly lack of tail shaft lubrication problems). Ford addressed many of these problems in the AODs by 1988/'89-up.

AOD servo sizes range from; "A", "B" or "C". "A" is the largest and "C" is the smallest. However, the only way to know for sure what letter designation the servo is would be to pull the transmission pan off to be able to see what letter is on the servo cover plate. 

6/16/2013 2:57 PM  #18

Good call, Steve.  I forgot to mention to use the 88+ trans.  As for the OD Servo, my 89 Lincoln TC donor had a "B" in it, as I recall, and with the good Red Lion OD band and nearly stock 5.0 it works just fine.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/16/2013 3:43 PM  #19

gkm24 wrote:

I was going to put a Non Electronic AOD in the car but seeing as I am putting the EFI in it, that seems a bit silly.
Not sure what power the Fox engine is as I dont think they put EFI in in 1983. I will have to check the casting numbers when I pull the engine.
Pic of My car as i picked it up from the Docks fresh from SanDiego

From the pic that looks like a very nice rust free 66. Good buy,   Mike

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.