FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2017 10:51 AM  #1

Looking For Any/ All Comments on Upgrading To Borgeson Power Steering

Borgeson Power Steering Upgrade On My 1965 Mustang Fastback

On this post I will document the upgrade of my steering on my 1965 Mustang Fastback from Ford power steering to Borgeson power steering.I will attempt to include every step with pictures and instructions as much as possible.

I have never really liked the dead steering I have experienced with my ford steering.  Even though it is O.K., I have always felt that the steering had a slight lag which constantly caused under and over steering.
In all of the readings I have done, the Borgeson is a definite upgrade to the original power steering in my car. It has been described as more positive steering.

1.  Research (Here is what I have found so far)

A.  One issue that has been mentioned is “return to center”.
B.  Another issue is the borgeson steering box getting hot.
C.  There has been some discussion about replacing the rag joint that comes with the kit with a u-joint.
D.  The steering column tube has to be shortened to make room for the rag joint.
E.  Bottom end of steering column unstable.  The fix is Mustang Steve’s steering column bearing kit BBk-1.
F.  Good time to replace all steering parts.
G.  Shop for best price for all parts..

I am looking for any and all helpful responses on this subject before I proceed to Step 2.  Purchasing Parts

Last edited by almcgee (1/06/2017 11:03 AM)

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

1/06/2017 12:56 PM  #2

Re: Looking For Any/ All Comments on Upgrading To Borgeson Power Steering

Response to 1.C. - Rag Joint.

1. The rag joint will likely last you the rest of your lifetime.
2. A rag joint dampens out some of the "notchiness" you would get with a metal u-joint.
3. A rag joint is nostalgic.

1/06/2017 1:18 PM  #3

Al;
I converted our 66 to a 68 column and steering box when I first built the car so it already had a rag joint and a custom bracket to hold the bottom of the column solid at the firewall.  The 68 outer column stops at the firewall so all I had to do was push the inner, collapsible  shaft up for just a little extra room required by the Borg box.  I think I used the existing 68 rag joint but I really can't remember.  I did have to move the bottom of the outer column around a bit to align it with the Borg. 

As for performance, I am very happy with the feel and feedback of the unit.  It seems to be pretty precise...not like an R/P but pretty good and way better than the stock stuff.  I use a Ford 5.0 PS pump and ATF for fluid and have not experienced any indication of it getting overly hot.  Butt, I also haven't checked the temp with the IR temp reader. 

Mine returns to center very nicely but I have 5 degrees of caster and I'm using a stock POWER STEERING idler arm.  I think the idler arm is helping a lot.  These are hard to find and pretty pricey when you find one.  I think I paid $165 for mine which is an NOS unit.  The PS Idler Arm bushings are available from NPD and others but so far, I don't think anyone is making the idler arm. 

Yes, good time to freshen up the entire steering if needed.

I did not use a bearing at the bottom of the column as it didn't seem to be needed with the 68 column.  I can see how you would want one , though with a modified stock column.

The bracket I used to hold the bottom of the column to the firewall was a homebrew item since I didn't have a stock 68 bracket.

I'm using a stock 68 PS pitman arm on the Borg box.

Overall I'm very pleased with the simplicity and function of the box.  Got mine as a separate box on sale for around $500.  I got the metric IV to AN adapter fittings from Borgensen and had a local shop make up the custom hoses.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/06/2017 6:46 PM  #4

Hello
I'm about finished with my Borg install on a 65 fastback.
Everything went smoothly except that I have a fluid leak at the hi pressure connector at the pump. Have  not even started the car and it leaks already. Cant tighten the connector any more than it is.
Other than that I'm mounting a cooler in front of the radiator just in case  ,while I'm thinking of a way to tighten up that high pressure nut on the hose...any ideas?

p.s. my kit came with a kinda  plastic spacer insert for the bottom of the column.

wayne50f1

Last edited by wayne50f1 (1/06/2017 6:47 PM)

1/06/2017 11:39 PM  #5

Can't talk you into going manual steering with roller bearing pitman and roller idler arm?(Opentracker stuff)

I DON'T have the roller stuff butt.....when I had new  steering components installed (while on the road in Tulsa...long story) and filled up my steering box with grease....it turns and steers like a new car. I have pretty fat tarz on the front and sitting still its still pretty easy for a 67 year old to turn. The roller stuff is suppose to make it even easier!
You won't lose any turning radius either! AND old stuff is what makes'em cool!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/07/2017 6:31 AM  #6

I finished my installation of the Borgeson box just as winter was getting started so I don't have as much road time as BB does. I did have an overheating issue on my first test drive and installed a fluid cooler. I purchased my Borgeson kit from Steves Mustang (Glen Buzek). I did install the MS lower bearing. I would also recommend you cut off the old steering shaft close to the manual box for easier removal if the engine is in the car. So far, I like it but I need to get some more road time.​Good luck with your project.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

1/07/2017 12:00 PM  #7

Installed Borg box couple years ago! Very happy with it!! Doesant center quickly but neither does my other two newer cars? Not an issue with me. Got bout 3 degrees of caster and this 65 drives like a dream!!!! One of the best mods Ive done. BTW, my Borg kit came with U joint, would prefer rag joint however. Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (1/07/2017 12:03 PM)

1/07/2017 4:16 PM  #8

6sally6 wrote:

Can't talk you into going manual steering with roller bearing pitman and roller idler arm?(Opentracker stuff)

I DON'T have the roller stuff butt.....when I had new  steering components installed (while on the road in Tulsa...long story) and filled up my steering box with grease....it turns and steers like a new car. I have pretty fat tarz on the front and sitting still its still pretty easy for a 67 year old to turn. The roller stuff is suppose to make it even easier!
You won't lose any turning radius either! AND old stuff is what makes'em cool!!
6s6

I hear ya Sal. I don't get the power steering thing. I just installed a rebiult manual box in mine last year. I'm runnin 235x17s up front and I have no problem drivin it and I have 2 years on ya. Parallel parking is a challenge but I was never good at it anyway and at my age I ain't in a hurry.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/07/2017 11:24 PM  #9

You should check out the Mike Maier system. It costs a little more, but is a really nice system. I just finished fine tuning my manual steering system, which includes the rollerized idler arm. It performs well on the street and the track. 

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

1/08/2017 12:25 AM  #10

I installed the Borgeson steering mod in my 68 in July of 2010. To date, I have yet to have any issues at all with the installation or it's operating characteristics. I am somewhat baffled by some comments made by other posters on this board who have had issues with it. Maybe it is the install into years other than a 68, or possibly there have been issues with quality control at Borgeson and the product being sold today is not of the same quality as it was seven years ago. I just know that in my particular case, it has been a very good and reliable system that has operated perfectly for me, and I really love the way it drives and steers, in comparison to the old manual system I had originally. (that being said, the Karma gods will now smite me mightily and my pump will self destruct in a cloud of power steering fluid....)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

1/08/2017 9:40 AM  #11

I'm pulling out the entire O/E power steering on my 68 and installing an electric power steering unit from a modified Pontiac Vue column.
 My set up has a variable control to change the assist from zero to maximum. At full boost  I can turn the steering wheel  with one finger lock to lock with the car parked. On the interstate I can dial it down for a more "manual" feel.

For the sake of the previously  mentioned nostalgic content, I'm still using a rag joint, see picture below. It couples the EPAS to a FR steering box in ithe original position.

Last edited by Rudi (1/08/2017 9:46 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/08/2017 5:45 PM  #12

When my original steering box failed after only 47 years of use, I decided to do the Borgeson update. I found it fairly easy to install, and the only trouble I had was a faulty pump that came with the kit. Borgeson replaced it no problem and it has worked great ever since. The steering feel is a little lighter than I would like, but my tiny little wife can actually drive it now. I have to admit I should have done this years ago when I replaced all the front and rear suspension components, probably the best improvement I have made.

It's easier to add horsepower than it is to lose weight.

1/08/2017 10:41 PM  #13

Ron68 wrote:

I installed the Borgeson steering mod in my 68 in July of 2010. To date, I have yet to have any issues at all with the installation or it's operating characteristics. I am somewhat baffled by some comments made by other posters on this board who have had issues with it. Maybe it is the install into years other than a 68, or possibly there have been issues with quality control at Borgeson and the product being sold today is not of the same quality as it was seven years ago. I just know that in my particular case, it has been a very good and reliable system that has operated perfectly for me, and I really love the way it drives and steers, in comparison to the old manual system I had originally. (that being said, the Karma gods will now smite me mightily and my pump will self destruct in a cloud of power steering fluid....)

LOL!........(You can'tfool me Ron. The weather you guyz are having now.....you couldn't SEE a cloud of PS fluid!!!!!!)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/09/2017 2:17 PM  #14

One advantage of the Borgeson Box is the quicker turn ratio. The disadvantage is you don't get any exercise when maneuvering through a parking lot.

wane50f1: I have a different kit than Bogerson but it uses the same box. I had a leak on my high pressure hose. There was a male/male fitting that went into the box and connected to the hose. It leaked due to not being able to tighten enough. I cut down the area in the center where the wrench would connect to, so the fitting would make another 1/2 turn into the box. That got the leak stopped.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/09/2017 2:53 PM  #15

Though I don't have the Borgeson system (have a Unisteer rack), I keep an eye on steering systems and have recently seen reports of constant leaking. The current consensus seems to be that the hoses supplied to you are too short to route properly away from the exhaust, so the fluid heats up and ruins the seals. Might be something to keep an eye on - if you find that the hoses are too short to route optimally, make your own instead and route them in some approximation of the stock power steering hose configuration if possible.

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

1/10/2017 5:51 AM  #16

Just FYI, Borgeson has made the hoses longer.  When I talked to customer service, he asked me if the length of the hoses was good and said they made them longer in response to customer comments.

1/13/2017 12:08 PM  #17

The borgeson  system is a great up grade, on 641/2 to 67 with manual trans you may have an  issue with the factory z bar clutch linkage.They (borgeson) make after market z bar for all mustangs up to
 66 that will work ,67 you may have to work something out on your own.
mustang stu

1/22/2017 8:11 PM  #18

Was able to do a first  short test drive today, very happy with the Borg box. No issues at all, tight turns no problem.
Nice not to have the slop of my old stock  power steering. Very tight without any looseness. NICE
Only issue that I still need to work out is the new belt ,its too narrow and squeels  if turning wheel with out moving forward. I have a power steering pully from old power  system. Does anyone have a part number for the correct belt ? Gates or other ?
Ive tried several belts and still not quite correct. too long, too short, too wide,not wide enuff....
Also I went with  all new manual steering parts from Chocostang, was originally a power steering car, kept the old pitman arm, other than that all new pieces.
I was able to extend the return line and ran it down under and thru the old original hose bracket then back up to the front where I installed a 13 inch cooler vertical in front of the radiator to the driver side attaching it to the old radiator mount bolts on the side . That seems to work well also. Hope this info helps others.
Thanks to all who have posted on this site as its been helpful to me.

1/23/2017 6:06 AM  #19

I used a belt on my Borgeson install from O'reilly's that is 3/8" X 46 5/8". The number is a 7460.  I hope that helps. This is on a 66 with a 302.

1/24/2017 4:06 PM  #20

Bobc
Thanks , but you must have a different pump bracket?  or
My belt is 48.5 long? which is ok , but width Is slightly  too narrow ,mine came from Advanced Auto part number 48513. A wider belt will require longer length of unknown amount. Not too much adjustment on their bracket.
My Borg kit  is from CJ Pony Parts Nov 2016 order date. Maybe things have changed ?

1/27/2017 9:50 PM  #21

I'm installing the borgeson kit in my 66 mustang. I purchased the MS lower bearing kit. With the rag joint installed and the bearing and lock collar on the shaft it protrudes through the firewall above the column clamp. Is this normal ?
If I put the lower borgeson bushing on the shaft, it is flush with the gear side of the firewall with the column in the clamp. Is this normal for the install .

Cut to fit, Pound to shape, Paint to match

1/28/2017 8:25 PM  #22

I did my own home brew borgeson conversion (see my post in the tip section).  I tried to use a u-joint but there wasn't enough room so I went w/ a rag joint.  I don't see how it will ever have a problem.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

1/30/2017 8:59 AM  #23

George wrote:

I'm installing the borgeson kit in my 66 mustang. I purchased the MS lower bearing kit. With the rag joint installed and the bearing and lock collar on the shaft it protrudes through the firewall above the column clamp. Is this normal ?
If I put the lower borgeson bushing on the shaft, it is flush with the gear side of the firewall with the column in the clamp. Is this normal for the install .

Could you post a picture of this?  The bearing can be configured several different ways, including pushing it up into the column tube a bit.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/30/2017 9:01 AM  #24

Concerning those leaking fittings...  I have repaired leaking P/S fittings before by putting a copper washer in the fitting.  They will form to the shape of the bevel when tightening.  A couple drops of super glue to hold them centered can help if you have one where it tries to get off center.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/01/2017 7:33 PM  #25

I was able to push the bearing up in the column enough to clear.....Thanks

Cut to fit, Pound to shape, Paint to match

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.