FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2017 10:15 AM  #1

Price of early 65 Mustang

Good morning gang
​Need to sell one of my 65s. took delivery in Chowchilla, CA Feb. of 1965.
​Car is now in Portland, OR area
​289, 225 hp,  4 speed trans.
Has a little rust at lower doors and rear fenders.
Minor front end damage
​​Would appreciate your asking price ideas.
​One owner car, me! 
Thanks all
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (1/24/2017 10:17 AM)

1/24/2017 12:22 PM  #2

Re: Price of early 65 Mustang

Does the cowl leak? Are the floorboards rusty? We need to see a bunch of pictures to determine condition. Closeups of the damaged panels too.

1/24/2017 12:35 PM  #3

Its always hard to say, because a classic car is always worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.  You can't go by auction prices because they are often extremely inflated.  Prices can vary greatly by region too.  Convertibles tend to bring a premium in general, but are even more desirable in places like Florida where there's a lot of top down cruising weather as compared to the northeast.  Pictures will help for sure though. 

1/24/2017 1:54 PM  #4

Britain has 51 days of sunshine per year, but per capita sell more convertibles than other countries.
 Go figure.
In Canada flop top cars have big sales numbers even though we have crap weather for 8 months of the year.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/24/2017 2:42 PM  #5

Way too little on the details Howard.

1/24/2017 6:22 PM  #6

Rudi wrote:

Britain has 51 days of sunshine per year, but per capita sell more convertibles than other countries.
 Go figure.
In Canada flop top cars have big sales numbers even though we have crap weather for 8 months of the year.

I'm jut reminded of being in Florida when I was younger and noticing the cars.  I could never figure out how Ford sold so many V6 Mustangs because in Delaware I would see 3-5 V8 cars for every I4 or V6 car.  Then I went to Florida and all I saw were V6 drop tops and it made sense. 

2/02/2017 1:02 PM  #7

So, we know it is a 65 four speed 289.
There are alot of other details that will determine price.  Is it a fastback?
Deluxe interior?  What does it look like?

I drove to San Antonio once to look at a one owner 66 that had shag carpet and a cowl packed slam full of oak leaves.  Current condition is all that matters!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/02/2017 4:30 PM  #8

Was it vintage shag or repop shag?

2/02/2017 4:46 PM  #9

Chaplin wrote:

Was it vintage shag or repop shag?

Probably NOS shag... I hear the repo shag is all made in China and full of lead

2/03/2017 5:40 AM  #10

The NOS stuff still has asbestos in it though...

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.