FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2017 10:31 AM  #1

Will this cause clearence issues?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 HO Swap, EFI MAF, T5z, Hydraulic Clutch,  Headman Shorty Headers ​I'm working on getting the drivers side header installed.  I'm all bolted up and have 2 major concerns: ​I tried a Lokar Flexible dipstick that got crushed between the headers and the block.  Had to go back to the stock dipstick tube bit it's placement is really close to a spark plug and contacts one of the header tubes?  I can fit a plug wire boot over the spark plug but there is contact?  Will this cause a problem?
​ On the bottom end the attachment to the header comes in contact with the transmission bell housing.  I'm planning on getting a custom exhaust installed.  Is this something that can be worked around or adjusted to fit?

2/26/2017 3:35 PM  #2

Re: Will this cause clearence issues?

What sort of oilpan are you using? Unless you're using a Mustang II style front end, you need a front sump pan, with a dipstick mounted in front over the sump .... block off the old dipstick hole.
I would trim the bell to get a little more clearance.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/26/2017 4:24 PM  #3

Looks like you have a hydraulic clutch and are not using the cable mount, so I would cut it off and not worry. Your dipstick looks just like mine that has been on car now for over 10 years without a problem.

2/26/2017 11:18 PM  #4

DC wrote:

Your dipstick looks just like mine that has been on car now for over 10 years without a problem.

In the same location as the OP with a front sump pan??

2/27/2017 9:45 AM  #5

Oh, I love my MII front end! You are right on 50vert, I missed the pan issue. My car has the rear sump due to the MII front.

2/27/2017 11:15 AM  #6

50vert wrote:

What sort of oilpan are you using? Unless you're using a Mustang II style front end, you need a front sump pan, with a dipstick mounted in front over the sump .... block off the old dipstick hole.
I would trim the bell to get a little more clearance.

Why do I need a front sump pan?  This is a swap from a 1988 5.0.  Never detected a problem when it was running.

2/27/2017 3:58 PM  #7

Just guessing from your photos ..... so that you can use the engine bay crossbrace to help hold your car together.

Last edited by 50vert (2/27/2017 4:46 PM)

2/27/2017 6:50 PM  #8

There was a recent discussion on dipstick relocation. See Josh's post of how he did his.  You really need to ditch the rear sump pan in order to install the proper crossmember. Without it, your lower conttol arm pivots will be moving around alot.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.