FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2013 10:21 AM  #1

Anybody ever restored a badly fire damaged Mustang before?

I am seriously considering a 1967 GTA fastback that has had an pretty bad interior electical fire. It must have started in the cluster or main under dash harness. ALL of the dash, glass and seats were destroyed. The fire has seriously burned the whole dash and cowl, and scorched the roof, doors, and firewall area, plus the upper back portion of the fenders. Damage to the engine compartment is minor.

All of this is replaceable, so I am really wondering if there is any reason to stay away from it?

Anybody with experience? Should I be worried about metal warping and not fittng? How about the fire smell? I would be gutting the car and replacing all the interior and wiring.

Thanks

Last edited by LondonSteve (6/19/2013 10:30 AM)

6/19/2013 10:50 AM  #2

Re: Anybody ever restored a badly fire damaged Mustang before?

Take a look at post #21 of this thread:

http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=14

Amazing work.

(Pinto!)

6/19/2013 11:11 AM  #3

I worked on a 65 K code convertible that was an original owner car, won in a radio contest, and in a garage fire in the late 80s. K value then was not as much as cost to restore, but sentimental value had the owners making up the difference out of pocket.
It looked like death warmed over, and my boss took it ononly  because he knew the people personally.
We were DREADING the day it rolled in, but once we disassembled it, it was like any other resto job.
We stripped it to a BARE shell, cut the quarters off, no doors, decklid, front clip,only a drivers seat, etc. My boss wanted to make sure it ran before we did the body, so I got to drive it around like that.
Got some looks, as I drove around town. Pretty peppy too, as light as it was.
I wouldn't be afraid if it was me.

6/19/2013 11:44 AM  #4

LondonSteve,

you need to look at Hakan's posts and website. You'll see what is possible when starting with a fire damaged stang.(plus you'll feel a lot of envy)http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=64faf3df2afdc25161776bb805edbea2&loc=http%3A%2F%2Ffyi.boardhost.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fid%3D14&v=1&libId=9af7e125-3c14-40d7-b740-a9a12cc0fd88&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vikingmustang.com%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Ffyi.boardhost.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D4607&title=FYI%20FORD%20MustangSteve's%20Ford%20Mustang%20Forum%20%2F%20Tell%20us%20about%20your%20Mustang%20or%20favorite%20Ford&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vikingmustang.com&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13716639916048
(Now that's a link you can be proud of)

Bests from this side of the pond.

allen

Last edited by at (6/19/2013 11:49 AM)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't get him drunk

6/19/2013 1:24 PM  #5

not a mustang, but i turned this:

into this:

6/19/2013 1:32 PM  #6

LondonSteve wrote:

I am seriously considering a 1967 GTA fastback that has had an pretty bad interior electical fire. It must have started in the cluster or main under dash harness. ALL of the dash, glass and seats were destroyed. The fire has seriously burned the whole dash and cowl, and scorched the roof, doors, and firewall area, plus the upper back portion of the fenders. Damage to the engine compartment is minor.

All of this is replaceable, so I am really wondering if there is any reason to stay away from it?

Anybody with experience? Should I be worried about metal warping and not fittng? How about the fire smell? I would be gutting the car and replacing all the interior and wiring.

Thanks

All of what you mentioned...if the price is right go for it...a worthwhile car to restore...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

6/19/2013 3:41 PM  #7

LondonSteve wrote:

Any reason to stay away from it?

It sounds like it will require hard work, time and money as always is the case. Time can to some extent compensate for money and the other way around, hard work will be involved either or. An understanding spouse is also good. When I had the garage fire that almost destroyed my ´67 it was actually my wife that convinced me to restore it again as I was about to give up on it when I got back home from the hospital (put out the fire myself and inhaled a lot of Mustang smoke) and checked it out.

LondonSteve wrote:

Anybody with experience?

Yes!

LondonSteve wrote:

Should I be worried about metal warping and not fittng?

If it ain't too bad it can be fixed and as the fastback bodies are reproduced no problems with getting parts if you have to replace something. Only place my coupe body was slightly warped is the panel between the rear window and the trunk. One thing you might wanna check up on early is if the front and rear window really fits.

LondonSteve wrote:

How about the fire smell?

Once gutted and cleaned all that smells from the fire will be gone and once you start gluing, painting, installing new parts etc. other smells will take over.

Here's BTW a ´40 Ford Coupe that was brought back to life from a major garage fire, much worse than what I started from: http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/latest-stuff/stroker-s-tom-medley-s-1940-rebuild-project.html

6/19/2013 4:56 PM  #8

We had some serious metal warping, and had to use a porta-power to jack the windshield frame back up where it got laid back from the roof crashing down on it.
I would suspect a garage fire is a LOT hotter than an electrical fire in the car itself.
When we were done, you could not tell the car wasn't anything other than beautifully restored.
The stainless trim  even buffed out perfectly.

6/19/2013 8:57 PM  #9

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Unfortunately the car is gone. It was two hours from my house and I replied to the ad last night within hours of it being posted. Played telephone tag all day long trying to go see it and make an offer. It was sold before I could even get there.

I am pretty dissappointed, as I think it would have been a perfect project for me. I already have all the glass and interior, so parts sourcing would have been a snap.

One can only hope for another opportunity like it to come up again some day. 

As the day wore on, I knew someone else was going to snap it up before I could.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.