FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2017 5:16 AM  #1

Go See Cars 3

Went out with the family last night to see Cars 3.  I've liked the first two, the first one a bit more than the second.  Pixar really knows how to create layers in their work so that kids really enjoy their films, but there's enough stuff in them that flies over the kids heads that the adults get to laugh at. 

Cars 3 was the best one yet.  They continue with their nods to racing greats, and they introduce Smokey who was Doc Hudson's crew chief, obviously based on Smokey Yuinck who was the crew chief for Hudson in '51-'54. 

Its also a great commentary on how the sport of NASCAR has changed. 

And its also a story about a guy who's past his prime trying to make a comeback, and those are always great stories. 

So take the kids, grandkids, what have you, and go check it out.  The crew over at Pixar really hit it out of the park with this one. 

6/26/2017 3:20 PM  #2

Re: Go See Cars 3

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I always liked cars and am keen to see the next one.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/26/2017 3:41 PM  #3

A little digging turned up that Doc Hudson's number 51 was used because it was the first year of the Hudson Hornet, but the actual Fabulous Hudson Hornet was number 92.  That car is still around and is on display in Yipsilanti. Michigan (interestingly, also where Preston Tucker lived, and to my eyes a see a bit of '48 Tucker in the Hornet).

The Hornet was the best car that ever raced NASCAR, taking 1st in points in '51, 2nd in '52, 1st in '53, and 2nd in '54.  Unibody construction, revolutionary at the time, allowed the floor to dip below the rockers and lowered the CG, making the car handle exceptionally well for the day.  Great handling, paired with a flathead 308 cubic inch straight 6 cylinder that could be had up to 210HP (with the 7x package which paired the Twin H Power engine (two one barrel carbs) with a hotter cam, high compression head, and significant port work to the block to improve airflow).  That engine made over 300 lbs/ft. as well due to its size and undersquare configuration (long stoke, small bore).  Running over 9:1 compression in that configuration was really pushing the envelope, and that's the factory configuration, so you know guys like Smokey knew how to make some serious tweaks that the tech inspectors could never find

6/27/2017 1:49 AM  #4

We will be going out to see it. Everyone in the family is excited.

6/27/2017 10:35 PM  #5

My nephew just got a summer internship at Pixar.  That's what he's majoring in, animation.  I've always told him it would be great to see a cartoon movie about muscle cars, so kids will inadvertently learn about them.

6/28/2017 1:36 AM  #6

Ozblitz wrote:

My nephew just got a summer internship at Pixar. That's what he's majoring in, animation. I've always told him it would be great to see a cartoon movie about muscle cars, so kids will inadvertently learn about them.

Yeah, this movie gives the kiddos here good interest with cars and trucks.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.