FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2017 8:32 AM  #1

install grease zerks

have an 68 fb and would like to grease the uca. removed the plugs but cant get an zerk in that small space. no I don't want to cut holes in the shock towers. anybody make a tool or kit to get them in?

7/30/2017 8:47 AM  #2

Re: install grease zerks

I have the 'grease fitting kit' by Thexton, it is over 30 years old, comes with the installation tool, and four right angle fittings, never opening.  If you want it, send me a PM w/your mailing address and I'll forward to you.
BTW - if you've lowered the UCA's, Shelby style, I do not believe you'll be able to install any style grease fitting.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/30/2017 11:04 AM  #3

I installed these in my UCA's while they were off the car. Not sure if you have enough room to do it in the car.

https://www.johnsmustang.com/1965-1973-mustang-upper-control-arm-grease-fitting-kit

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (7/30/2017 11:05 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/30/2017 3:26 PM  #4

One of really smart thinking FYIFORD guys came up with a great idea. He drilled and tapped a hole in one of the flat sides of the big nut/bushing. Then threaded a zerk into the hole.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/30/2017 4:16 PM  #5

BobE wrote:

......- if you've lowered the UCA's, Shelby style, I do not believe you'll be able to install any style grease fitting......

Plenty of room to have them in with the Shelby Drop but it might be harder to get them started if they were not pre-installed.

7/30/2017 8:35 PM  #6

did the Shelby drop last year. did have the plugs in as I removed one. started with drivers side rear one first, 90degree zerk. a little to tight to get it in. haven't tried the front yet. used to work at a ford garage a long time ago and cut a lot of holes, but not in my car now. never heard about drilling a hole in the large nut on both ends, anybody know how this is done?

7/31/2017 9:29 AM  #7

MS wrote:

One of really smart thinking FYIFORD guys came up with a great idea. He drilled and tapped a hole in one of the flat sides of the big nut/bushing. Then threaded a zerk into the hole.

That is a Great Idea! 

8/02/2017 7:45 PM  #8

I tried drilling the big nut for a grease fitting and it didn't work, those nuts are harder than woodpecker lips!

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

8/04/2017 8:43 AM  #9

Triton wrote:

I tried drilling the big nut for a grease fitting and it didn't work, those nuts are harder than woodpecker lips!

I had the same issue drilling these years ago on a set of UCAs that weren't drilled for grease fittings and couldn't ... and it wasn't due to dull drill bits.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/04/2017 11:22 AM  #10

These extended grease fittings are available at Summit and most of the Mustang parts suppliers. You do have to install them before mounting the upper control arm.

8/04/2017 12:42 PM  #11

I installed fittings in the ends and had to ball peen the shock towers slightly for clearance.  If you're going to be doing this and the UCAs are out, you could elect to also spin the shaft in the nuts to provide some additional caster as per here:  https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/alignment-question.543769/

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

8/07/2017 10:34 AM  #12

Hornman wrote:

These extended grease fittings are available at Summit and most of the Mustang parts suppliers. You do have to install them before mounting the upper control arm.

I have those installed in my '67 with Shelby/Arning Drop so I know they'll fit... but I installed them while I had the UCA removed doing the drop.

8/07/2017 10:47 AM  #13

Triton wrote:

LMAO! 

8/07/2017 11:43 AM  #14

If the upper control arm shaft nuts are soft enough to drill and tap they may be of poor quality.
My thoughts are that both the shaft and nuts should be heat treated to last any length of time.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.