FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2017 12:55 PM  #1

Anybody ever use a roof rack on their classic?

I recently started a workout routine with a few friends... kayaking a few times a week. Its inconvenient to get the wife's SUV and my only other option is my 2011 mustang convertible (6-spd)... can't put a roof rack on that.

​So.... I'm considering the 67 cpe.  Any experience or suggestions?

Last edited by cgomate (7/30/2017 12:56 PM)

7/30/2017 1:40 PM  #2

Re: Anybody ever use a roof rack on their classic?

Inflatable kayak together with a 12V compressor that fits in the trunk of either Mustang?

7/30/2017 4:19 PM  #3

cgomate wrote:

......​So.... I'm considering the 67 cpe.  Any experience or suggestions?....

Sacrilege, I say!

7/30/2017 7:35 PM  #4

There's a foam block roof kit available.  Gets the job done without the need for a roof rack.

7/30/2017 8:57 PM  #5

Sacrilege.  Rent or borrow another vehicle. 

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

7/30/2017 10:38 PM  #6

I would not do it, but way back when, I used both the old suction cups on the roof version, and the kind that clamps to the drip rails with no problems.  I drove from upstate NY to Calif.  6-7 days on the road with the suction cups.   And used the other kind as a bike rack  till about 2000.

Now I would not do either.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/31/2017 5:50 AM  #7

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/31/2017 6:56 AM  #8

Yakima, Malone and Attwood are three companies that make the kit I mentioned. Good for short haul scenarios.  Google to check out their instruction videos....and don't let the nay saying couch potatoes discourage you...

7/31/2017 7:48 AM  #9

I have a rack that just clamps to the drip rail. I only use it for light weight stuff not my 40 foot fiberglass extension ladder. I put a couple layers of duct tape over the clamps that touch the drip rail. never had a problem with the canoe. I do tie a rope from each end of canoe down to bumper for stability and don't do any high speed stuff (back roads only).

7/31/2017 8:45 AM  #10

The vintage cars actually work better than the modern cars with no drip rail. My compromise is a pick up. Finally found something a Chevy is good for.lol. You might want to consider an inexpensive trailer from Harbor Freight. That's what my son did when roof racks wouldn't work on his mini van. We built his from an old dirt bike trailer.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.