FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/26/2013 8:21 AM  #1

valve cover gaskets

What kind of valve cover gaskets do you guys like?... cork, neoprene, rubber... other?
Also, do you use silicone on yours or just the gasket?... or gasket glue...or something completely different?

6/26/2013 8:48 AM  #2

Re: valve cover gaskets

i just installed a set of the metal/rubber v/c gaskets. always hated cork..i use the old school "indian head shellac" & glue the gasket to the valve covers, bolt the two covers together overnight with the gaskets sandwiched between, then the next day you can easily drop em' on, bolt em up & go.

6/26/2013 10:28 AM  #3

The new Fel-Pro blue gaskets with the steel insert need no sealers at all and work great.  I used to use RTV with no gaskets, but the new blue ones are great.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/26/2013 3:50 PM  #4

Steve,
Auto zone shows three different blue felpro v/c gaskets...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Valve-Cover-Gasket/1967-Ford-Mustang/_/N-irjlnZ8iics?itemIdentifier=231519_467746_19388_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Fel-Pro-Composite-valve-cover-gasket-set/_/N-25za?itemIdentifier=220597_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Fel-Pro-Composite-valve-cover-gasket-set/_/N-25za?itemIdentifier=220596_0_0_

Are the ones you like the 28.99 ones,  the 52.99 ones, or the 58.99 ones?  (really hoping the 28.99 ones )

Interestingly enough the 28.99 ones are the only ones that mention "PermaDryPlus" technology.

Also, what kind of intake gaskets do you like?

Last edited by Michael H. (6/26/2013 3:51 PM)

6/26/2013 4:51 PM  #5

Felpro/Valve Cover Gasket

For your 1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L 4BL 8cyl

Price: $28.99

Part Number: VS13264T

I have no idea where you came up with those other two numbers...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/27/2013 7:10 AM  #6

MustangSteve wrote:

Felpro/Valve Cover Gasket

For your 1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L 4BL 8cyl

Price: $28.99

Part Number: VS13264T

I have no idea where you came up with those other two numbers...

Thanks Steve.  That's the direction I was leaning.

As for the other two, they came up on autozone's website when I did a search for "valve cover gasket" for a 1967 Ford Mustang 4.7L 4BL 8cyl.  I knew the picture didn't look right on those two, but sometimes it is just a generic picture that isn't an actual representation of the item.

6/27/2013 10:03 AM  #7

x2 on the FelPro PermaDry, solved the problem for me - not a weep since putting those on.

(Pinto!)

6/27/2013 10:36 AM  #8

X3 on the FelPro PermaDry when I replaced my valve covers a couple of months ago. Much better than cork IMHO.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

6/27/2013 12:23 PM  #9

I'm glad to hear that.  My old cork gaskets had gotten to where they were seeping oil pretty bad.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.