FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2017 2:56 PM  #1

Switching to a Smaller Diameter Steering Wheel?

1966 Mustang Coupe, 1988 5.0 HO Swap, MAF, EFI, T5z

I currently have the original 15 inch wood grain two piece steering wheel.  I'm leaning toward moving down to a 13.5 inch black steering wheel.

Old One
New One

The horn three pronged thing is really annoying and the steering wheel touches my lap (I'm a big guy).  Anyone got any comments on switching to a smaller steering wheel?  Seems like it should be a clean swap.  I'm anticipating a little more leg room and a little easier getting in and out of the car.

8/25/2017 3:28 PM  #2

Re: Switching to a Smaller Diameter Steering Wheel?

Not an issue with power steering, I have a high end Grant in my car, leather and over 200 bucks  but still perhaps not the quality as some other makes, Grant has problems with the horn, turn signal canceling pins and soft metal used in the mounting adapter.
 I have no experience with other manufacturers other than O/E

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/25/2017 4:08 PM  #3

If you have power assist steering, that 13.5" wheel along with a shelby quick steer pitman and idler arm would be sweet.  It would keep it from feeling you were reeling in yards of canvas when you make a 90° degree turn at an intersection.
I am trying to get a stock plastic OEM wheel cut down to just over 14".

Last edited by boomyal (8/25/2017 4:09 PM)

8/25/2017 6:06 PM  #4

Oh man... I could never swap out the original steering wheel like that. I have owned a couple of old cars now and find it to be one of the best things about them. The big steering wheel, just makes it so graceful to drive.
I understand we all like different things, but what is it about going to a smaller steering wheel that has you interested in doing that?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

8/25/2017 8:48 PM  #5

The smaller wheel will make it harder to steer the car, especially so at lower speeds. If you don't have Power Steering it may be unmanageable.

8/25/2017 9:05 PM  #6

Stevo wrote:

..... but what is it about going to a smaller steering wheel that has you interested in doing that?....

I want to retain the stock look but I am tired of turning hand over hand (ad nauseam) to make a simple 90° turn at an intersection.

8/26/2017 7:59 AM  #7

Stevo wrote:

Oh man... I could never swap out the original steering wheel like that. I have owned a couple of old cars now and find it to be one of the best things about them. The big steering wheel, just makes it so graceful to drive.
I understand we all like different things, but what is it about going to a smaller steering wheel that has you interested in doing that?

I don't have power steering and no plans of getting it.  I don't have a tilt steering column and getting in and out of the car is a pain with the larger steering wheel.  The horn mechanism never felt natural and had to be replaced twice.  The contacts wear out and I'd hit the horn all the time when I was making turns.  I'm not 100% but I'm definitely leaning towards a smaller diameter.  I'll try to keep an older look if possible.  It's not like I'm going to be using a dinner plate either.  1.5" on the diameter isn't a massive change.

8/26/2017 1:36 PM  #8

Smaller than stock with manual steering would be unmanageable.  I recently swapped to the Borgeson power steering system with the MS lower column bearing and the steering response is light years better.  The problem isn't really the wheel being too big; its the steering ratio being to slow.  Making the wheel smaller is just a crutch, and you lose much needed leverage in a manual steering car.  I would definitely not go with a Grant wheel if you have manual steering.  They are simply not designed for it.  I bent the one in my Camaro when I had to make a tight turn with no power assist (engine not running).  I was able to bend it back and it looks fine, but for constant manual steering use it just is not sturdy enough.  Can't comment on other aftermarket wheels, but I would imagine they are similar.  I would certainly ask the manufacturer prior to purchase if they are recommended for use on manual steering cars. 

8/28/2017 10:02 PM  #9

Get some seat track extenders and move the seat back 2 inches.  Also gives you more head room.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

8/29/2017 8:04 AM  #10

almcgee wrote:

Get some seat track extenders and move the seat back 2 inches.  Also gives you more head room.

This will be step one.  I picked up some 2 x 2 x .250 aluminum angle last week that I plan to make into some seat track extenders.  I'll provide a write up once I'm done.  Another person sent me what they did.  I'm going to work off of that but try and simplify it.  I'll make the decision on the steering wheel afterwards.

8/29/2017 10:19 AM  #11

Stevo wrote:

I agree. All the steering wheels I like are out of my price range. Everything else looks like cheap junk. The stock wheel looks great and gives a little bit of that sleeper vibe too

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

8/30/2017 8:06 AM  #12

You only need that big wheel if your method of parking does NOT include tire smoke! If you have enough Horsepower you don't need power steering. I guess you can tell I spent the last week in the hills of WV driving those wonderful twisty hilly roads...."Take me Home Country Roads"!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.