FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2017 1:21 AM  #1

after arning drop , car sits high

what you see are 4 inches of space from tire to fender and is much more than before. ( with shelby drop)
does it possible that is only for new shocks ? 
about springs i dont know noting , also the rate , but i can imagine are oem .
now what's the deal ?  cut the springs  or buy new set ?
the engine is in but wheight  dont help me so much , 
someone can tell me which is the lenght or the rate necessary to lower the car ? 
How many iches i can low the car ? 
now the feeling is that shocks are working properly and spring also if compressed are soft -
i hope was one shot job but i got to start again 
now is more or less an off road mustang ...
also on the rear is quite the same,  
need help thanks !

10/14/2017 5:21 AM  #2

Re: after arning drop , car sits high

How much of the suspension did you remove to do the drop?    

10/14/2017 6:17 AM  #3

Before modifying anything you need to drive the car.  The springs haven't settled yet.  With aluminum heads and intake the engine is 70lbs lighter than stock.  You may have to cut half a coil off the springs to get the height you want, but you can't tell that until you get them settled as see what final ride height is going to be. 

Also, how thick is the isolator on top of the springs?  Stock is 1/4" thick, and that's what you want.  I've seen them up to 1" thick and those raise the ride height by 3/4" over stock. 

10/14/2017 6:38 AM  #4

gjz30075 wrote:

How much of the suspension did you remove to do the drop?    

nothing ... i left the old springs as is . 
i supposed that after 1 inch drop , the car sit a little lower but  i am wrong  ....

10/14/2017 6:47 AM  #5

TKOPerformance wrote:

Before modifying anything you need to drive the car.  The springs haven't settled yet.  With aluminum heads and intake the engine is 70lbs lighter than stock.  You may have to cut half a coil off the springs to get the height you want, but you can't tell that until you get them settled as see what final ride height is going to be. 

Also, how thick is the isolator on top of the springs?  Stock is 1/4" thick, and that's what you want.  I've seen them up to 1" thick and those raise the ride height by 3/4" over stock. 

the isolator is 1/4  and i got original head  with bigger  heavier alternator and ac compressor and bracket .
i will be surprised if the car will lay down a little after driving .  the feelings is that the springs are working a lot .

trying to bump i feel that shocks are working better and the rest is still spongy 

10/14/2017 7:45 AM  #6

Ah, I don't want to offend but when I did the "Shelby Drop" I had to get my head around just what it was doing and why it did it.  So.....at the risk of asking a stupid, offensive question...you did LOWER the UCA, didn't you?  

​Sorry, but I had to ask.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/14/2017 8:06 AM  #7

After doing the drop, you're supposed to remove about half the thickness of the shims, at each mounting point.
I don't think that'll make much difference here but something to followup on.    Visually, what does the camber
look like?

10/14/2017 8:19 AM  #8

Have you driven or rolled the car since you did the work? If you just let it down off the jack and took the photo, the tires will hold the car up a little. Drive it or roll it forward and back a few feet and see if the suspension settles. As BB mentioned, did you drill the new holes above or below the original ones? They are supposed to be 1 inch below and 1/8 to the rear of the factory holes.The relocated arms change the camber curve for better handling,

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

10/14/2017 8:36 AM  #9

Bullet Bob wrote:

Ah, I don't want to offend but when I did the "Shelby Drop" I had to get my head around just what it was doing and why it did it.  So.....at the risk of asking a stupid, offensive question...you did LOWER the UCA, didn't you?  

​Sorry, but I had to ask.

BB

No sorry ! Evil is in details ....but yes now i got 4 holes each side . 1 inch down  and 1/8 bach

10/14/2017 8:43 AM  #10

zakdaddy99 wrote:

Have you driven or rolled the car since you did the work? If you just let it down off the jack and took the photo, the tires will hold the car up a little. Drive it or roll it forward and back a few feet and see if the suspension settles. As BB mentioned, did you drill the new holes above or below the original ones? They are supposed to be 1 inch below and 1/8 to the rear of the factory holes.The relocated arms change the camber curve for better handling,

Yes 1 imch down and 1/8 bach .
Yes i take pics just lay down from lifter but trying to use my body on one side i feel going up down with spongy feelings .
I got feelings that is better buy new lower set

10/14/2017 8:51 AM  #11

gjz30075 wrote:

After doing the drop, you're supposed to remove about half the thickness of the shims, at each mounting point.
I don't think that'll make much difference here but something to followup on.    Visually, what does the camber
look like?

I take note of every shim in each position znd left 1/8 from everyone ax suggested .
Visually i got positive camber in drivet and zero on passenger .
But i can see this only with car up.
.i got no tools for camber caster

10/14/2017 9:52 AM  #12

Did you tighten the lower control arm while the car is off the ground?   If so, all the tension is on that rubber.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

10/14/2017 12:15 PM  #13

Greg B wrote:

Did you tighten the lower control arm while the car is off the ground?   If so, all the tension is on that rubber.  

No . I torque it after was down

10/14/2017 2:57 PM  #14

Roll it. The wheels cannot slide sideways to get in their normal position until the car is rolled a good amount.
Laws of physics dictate if you lower the uca mounts, the car WILL SIT LOWER.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/14/2017 3:45 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Roll it. The wheels cannot slide sideways to get in their normal position until the car is rolled a good amount.
Laws of physics dictate if you lower the uca mounts, the car WILL SIT LOWER.

Yes is quite strange but i look 4 times before drill and done step by step .
The only thing i can say is that old shocks were worne and i used the old spring without any cut.
I had feelings that  springs are too long  .
The new shocks are set at third of 4 position but this does not have influence on ride height .
I dont know what to say ....
Thanks by now !

10/14/2017 7:17 PM  #16

"Temporarily" remove shocks and roll it/drive it a little ways. Then tell me what happens.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/14/2017 10:23 PM  #17

From reading your responses I can't tell if the car has been driven after the drop.  Drive the car at least two kilometers and then measure. 
Alternatively, just to get rid of the wheels being inbroad due to jacking and having the suspension decompress.  Just jack up and lower each side separately with the jack under the lower control arm.  Do one side then the other.

Last edited by JSHarvey (10/14/2017 10:41 PM)

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

10/15/2017 2:29 AM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

"Temporarily" remove shocks and roll it/drive it a little ways. Then tell me what happens.
6sally6

I will try and tell whst happens   .the spring is very compressed !
When i place the motor in , the springs dont move at all.
I have some up down move only when i place my 240 lbs on fender
Just one thing : i dont know where this spring come out in the car after 50 years someone may have change it

10/15/2017 2:34 AM  #19

JSHarvey wrote:

From reading your responses I can't tell if the car has been driven after the drop.  Drive the car at least two kilometers and then measure. 
Alternatively, just to get rid of the wheels being inbroad due to jacking and having the suspension decompress.  Just jack up and lower each side separately with the jack under the lower control arm.  Do one side then the other.

I jack the car from the lower arm before i place the motor and i lift the whole car .
Now i got engine in , so i can try again and see what happens .
By now i cant drive it because the car is not complete .
Thanks

10/15/2017 3:51 AM  #20

so i take down from the lifter and jack up one lower arm from the ground 2/3  inch  and noting  happens except that i lifted the car . i supposed to compress the spring .... but no way
yes the spring dont move at all . these two pics are taken before and after lifting the lower arm . there is no difference in space from fender to tire .
Aftter that i remove the bolt from the tower shock and it is completely extended but not forced to stay in place , has some freeplay . so again nothing is happen , the car is bouncing good with or withoiut shock , but seems  to be on high hills or tramp.

the last one show the shock free and the car is sit on the ground with engine in .
so at the end for what i see and feel when bouncing one side is that springs are long and high rated so also with arning drop they are working too much . i must use my body wheight to make the suspension work a little .
that s all ... 

10/15/2017 6:27 AM  #21

before lowering the front off jacks, lay some trash bags on the floor under the tires.  coming down. the tires will slide easier outward, then roll the car back off the bags and pick 'em up.

10/15/2017 8:11 AM  #22

JamesW wrote:

before lowering the front off jacks, lay some trash bags on the floor under the tires.  coming down. the tires will slide easier outward, then roll the car back off the bags and pick 'em up.

I was in front of car with foot on  front frame. I step up on it with my 240 lbs and bounce 4 times .
The front car was up down just few inches .
I understand your tips but i think is not useful becouse spring is too much compressed .
When i lifted from LCA i did not compress spring but lifted the whole car.

10/15/2017 9:38 PM  #23

Soooooooooo before the Arning/Shelby drop was the car still high in the front?
If so...you have the wrong springs in it. 
Get new springs or cut a coil(or two) off the ones you have now.
IF you cut the springs you have now........it's going to ride VERY rough.
6sally6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/15/2017 9:38 PM  #24

You cannot apply enough vertical force to move the wheels outward so the suspension can settle.  You have to roll the car.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/15/2017 10:29 PM  #25

Yes, you must roll the car. It is very possible for the car to appear to be a lot higher directly after you put it down. This is because of the way the suspension is set up on these cars. You may notice that visually, when you lift the car off of the ground, you get a lot of negative camber. But when the car is back on the ground and has been driven a bit, the tires are straight or have positive camber.

When you put the car back on the ground, it is essentially put down with the tires rolled onto the outside edge. This then binds the suspension and keeps it from sitting down right. Unless you are capable of kicking the inside of the tires to force the whole contact patch to sit down level (you aren't), you will not be able to get the suspension to settle correctly. Rubber just sticks to the floor real well. If you roll the car forwards and backwards a few times though, perhaps a few meters, then the tire will naturally settle down over the entire contact patch instead of being rolled onto the outside edge, and the suspension will settle down.

If the car was not sitting high beforehand, then it shouldn't be sitting high now. New shocks will not impact this.

"Calamity Jane" - Insane road warrior powered by hopes and dreams and piloted by an idiot.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.