FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2020 9:02 PM  #26

Re: Check your nuts boyz, something is happen'in!!!!!!!!!

MY PASSENGER SIDE SHIMS JUST FELL OUT ...HAS ANYBODY MADE THE WEDGES YALL WERE TALKING ABOUT I KNOW THIS IS A OLDER POST S I THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEBODY HAD MADE SOME.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

8/12/2020 10:38 PM  #27

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

MY PASSENGER SIDE SHIMS JUST FELL OUT ...HAS ANYBODY MADE THE WEDGES YALL WERE TALKING ABOUT I KNOW THIS IS A OLDER POST S I THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEBODY HAD MADE SOME.

I designed a set for our car and had a machinist friend mill them out of 1/2" X 2" strap steel.  They seem to work well and my nuts have been tight every since I installed them...and I check 'em pretty regular. 
The problem is that every car is different as to what it takes to get caster.  I made the wedge that tapered from 1/2" to 5/16 and then added normal shim pack to end up with 4 degrees of caster.  It still has some uneven clamping on the shim packs but nothing like what it had when the shim packs were providing all the caster.  I would suggest you align it to have exactly what caster/camber you want and then take very accurate measurements as to the the distance the UCA shaft is from the tower at the front and back bolt.  Then have a machinist make some slotted wedges maybe 1/16" thinner but with the ratio of taper you have measured.  Then you can fine tune things with a couple of shims and it will probably stay put.
I really want to get back to the 5 degrees I had when it tried to fall apart on the way to FWB in '17.  I has never driven better than it did with that setup and had very positive return to center but I need to do a bit more noodling to make that work reliably and safely.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (8/12/2020 10:39 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/12/2020 11:05 PM  #28

I AM THINKING ABOUT JUST PUTTING STOCK STRUT RODS BACK ON THEY SEEM TO RIDE BETTER.

THE HEIM JOINT SEEMS TO HAVE SOME PLAY IN IT AFTER A YEAR.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.