FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2018 5:14 AM  #2

Re: alternator

In GM vehicles for decades.  The 10SI was GM's first internally regulated alternator.  They started using it in the early '70s.  It was a definite improvement from the externally regulated alternators that came before.  It eventually morphed into the 12SI, and even that was discontinued sometime in the mid '80s. 

IMO its dated technology.  I am also not a fan of one wire alternators.  Alternators work best when they are installed with proper feedback so they can properly regulate themselves.  The one wire installations just bypass the feedback so all it "sees" is what its putting out, not what the electrical system in the car is seeing.  Often they overcharge at idle and under charge during high demand.

Given the simple bolt in install, ease of wiring, and proper regulation; I'd use a 3G alternator.  Its a better option in most every way. 

6/23/2018 10:56 AM  #3

my 66 stang uses an internal alt. It charges great at high speed idle whatever..radio sounds great with no hiss etc.. not sure what part number but im very happy with it

"If Someone Did it on Youtube...So Can I...Well.....Unless its Heart Surgery,Thats Kinda Hard"

6/23/2018 4:49 PM  #4

Have to agree with TKO. The 93 Taurus alternator makes a better application than a one-wire. The wiring mods are simple. By connecting the reference wire at the main distribution point you will get better voltage regulation.

6/23/2018 4:58 PM  #5

i have heard that the 130 amp 3 g alt requires two belts to run without belt slipping and making noise!

6/23/2018 5:26 PM  #6

I've heard that too.  I run the 90amp version, and I had to get the belt REALLY tight to avoid annoying squeal.  The additional resistance created in a 130 amp alternator would likely require either a dual belt or serpentine belt setup to run squeal free.  With the typical crank pulley groove spacing on a SBF of this vintage I wouldn't think it would be too hard to set up a dual belt though.  If anyone needs anything PM me.  I've got a milk crate full of Ford pulleys I got from my neighbor.  All '60s-'70s vintage.  That's where I found the pulleys I needed when I went to PS and AC. 

6/23/2018 8:06 PM  #7

Keep in mind that that any additional resistance to rotation due to going from a 95A to a 130A (or larger) would not occur unless the car's electrical system was actually drawing the power the 130A alternator was capable of providing.  In other words, the alternator only supplies power if that power is needed.  So I don't see a downside to the 130A version over the 90A version.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

6/24/2018 5:58 AM  #8

Then the threshold for squealing is actually much lower than 90amops, because I'm certain that at start up there's no way my car needs all that amperage.  I doubt it needs it ever, which is why I didn't go to the extra expense of the 130, as I'm sure the 90 is already overkill. 

6/24/2018 6:12 AM  #9

do you know what cars or trucks the 90 amp version came on ? 90 amps would be ok for what i need

6/24/2018 10:18 AM  #10

I've been running the 2G, which I think is a 75 amp unit) from an 89 Towncar for over ten years (nearly 25K) and never had any low battery issues.  I have a normal radio with no extra amp., AC, power windows/locks/mirrors, H4 headlights, and EFI.  The only problem I see with these alternators is that they used a double spade connector for the main battery connection.  My local rebuild guy was able to install an insulated stud with nut which is way better than Ford's original idea...I guess those were prone to extreme overheating and attendent smoke.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/24/2018 10:19 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/25/2018 3:30 PM  #11

I'm using the GM 10SI 3-wire alternator, output is about 75 amps, internal regulator.  I had to drill out the housing to accommodate the 7/16" mounting bolt (from 3/8"), easy to do.  The 3-wire alternator allows the use of the light to indicate whether or not it is charging.  Got it from a local rebuilder and have had no issues for the 10-years or so its been installed.
Remember, the original alternator was only about 40 amps, with limited current protection.  If you install a larger alternator, you should also install some appropriate sized circuit breakers or fuses ... just saying.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/25/2018 3:48 PM  #12

I bought a direct replacement alternator at autozone that bolts in and hooks up like the original but puts out 65 amps.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/alternator/duralast-alternator/333336_802609_0

Last edited by Michael H. (6/25/2018 3:57 PM)

6/25/2018 5:00 PM  #13

I've seen some 95 Amp alternators listed on auto zone and others for Mid 90's F-700 with large V-8's. Make sure your buying a alternator clocked at 180 deg. Also the small case is basically a direct fit. The large case requires a extension as shown in the picture above.  Not sure what size these 95 amp alternators are, guess you would have to measure. Mine is a 130 amp small case off a 95 mustang 5.0. Mine does squeal on start up for about 2 seconds. My guess is the battery has a slight drain on start up and it takes a second or two for the voltage to jump back up from 12.5 to 13.5 and settle down. The 95 amp may help here but as stated above, you will never put out 130 amps while running normal. I could tighten the belt more but a little afraid of ruining the bearings.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/25/2018 5:07 PM  #14

Ah, crank that thing tight.  A complete rebuild kit is like $34 and it takes an hour at most to do the rebuild.  Belt squeal drives me nuts.

6/25/2018 6:55 PM  #15

Super tight belts also can cause #1 main bearing wear.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/26/2018 5:45 AM  #16

i am using PA performance 130 ah and conversion kit for external regulator. works really good but was a little pain  wiring it .  It could be easy if my wires were not cut and colors faded .  With an expert all went good. the old low bracket need longer 

6/26/2018 6:15 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Ah, but with PS on one side and the alt. on the other; balance.  Maybe?

6/26/2018 12:24 PM  #18

I don't know if you've already purchased one yet but this seller is who I got mine from. He has been great to work with and fixed a warranty problem for no charge.  I highly recommend him.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-AMP-1-WIRE-FORD-REPLACEMENT-ALTERNATOR/132676315464?hash=item1ee41fe948:g:u7YAAOxyM89Sas4x

Last edited by JSHarvey (6/26/2018 12:24 PM)

65 convert "298" (.060), 4sp, disc, quick steer, roller perches, adj strut rods, sph bearing lower, F&R anti-roll bars.

6/26/2018 2:56 PM  #19

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

Ah, but with PS on one side and the alt. on the other; balance.  Maybe?

OK, please explain to me the above statements,   all the belts put upward pressure on the #1 bearing since  no accessories are below the crank.
 To me that sounds like the myth that v-8's and flat engines wear out the pistons on side that faces the ground.

Last edited by Rudi (6/26/2018 4:33 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/27/2018 5:33 AM  #20

I'm not ascribing to it BTW, but I suppose the idea is that you are placing a load (side, upward, or otherwise) on the crank snout that is not evenly distributed.  The main bearing wouldn't have to be worn from pushing the crank down; it could be worn on the side or top.  Really, considering the belt arrangement its loading the crank at an angle, not really up or down, but with the fact that there's rotation involved its even harder to figure exactly.  To me it comes down to the fact that the oil wedge is amazing strong; as is hydraulic force.  Considering clearance on a main bearing is all of what? 0.0020-0.0030"?  Now, the issue to my thinking is on startup, without pressurized oil forming that oil wedge, but by that rationale all the bearings are at risk from point loads in one plane or another.  Also, when I consider how tight the tensioner gets a serpentine belt I don't think its even possible to get a V-belt that tight, especially since a V-belt will stretch and a serpentine belt won't because its metal reinforced.  Granted, serpentine belt setups tend to have a bunch of accessories, so possibly there is the idea of even loading by placing multiple loads at different positions. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.