FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2013 7:16 PM  #1

Sway bar installation question???

Replacing end links and sway bar bushings.

1. Does the vehicle need to be raised with the weight off of the suspension for installation? Or can I just get under it from the front and remove it?

2. What kind of grease should I use on the sway bar bushings?

Just replacing with rubber bushings all around.

Thanks

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

7/08/2013 7:38 PM  #2

Re: Sway bar installation question???

It is easiest to do them with weight on the wheels.  Use NO grease on rubber bushings.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/08/2013 7:44 PM  #3

Thanks MS. How do I know when the end links are tight enough? Should the sway bar be compressed between the two bushings on the end link?

7/08/2013 9:20 PM  #4

Some end links have a shoulder bolt.  With that type, you just tighten until the nut torques down against ths shoulder.  Most nowadays use a lock nut instead of a shoulder.  With that type, tighten until the rubber washers just start to expand out a bit, then stop.  Yes, the sway bar end will be tightly encapsulated between the two rubber washers, or bushings.  You do not want them compressed a whole lot...just enough for them to start bulging a bit.

7/09/2013 7:08 AM  #5

I always keep five 40 pound bags of softener salt around so I can put them in the drivers seat to settle the car like I was in it. Then I usually end up making custom length end links for the bar so it  "Zero's" out or installs with no initial twist in the sway bar. This way the effect of the bar is balanced both ways. I also put grease fittings on the bushings so I can keep the rubber lubed.

7/09/2013 7:30 AM  #6

Tmac wrote:

Replacing end links and sway bar bushings.

1. Does the vehicle need to be raised with the weight off of the suspension for installation? Or can I just get under it from the front and remove it?

2. What kind of grease should I use on the sway bar bushings?

Just replacing with rubber bushings all around.

Thanks

Personally,I use anti-seize on the swaybar bushings and silicone on the links.....jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

7/09/2013 4:18 PM  #7

Seems like to me that when a rubber bushing gets grease on it, it deteriorates very raidly and turns to mush.  Urethane bushings do need to be lubricated with a special grease made for that purpose, but only the ones on the frame mounts need lube.  They rotate and will squeak like crazy if a urethane bushing ls left dry.

But... he asked about rubber ones, and you sure do not want to add any grease on a rubber bushing..

7/09/2013 4:28 PM  #8

They are the rubber ones. Drove the car today and it drove great. The Flowmaster 40's are so loud, I doubt I would hear any squeaking anyways. Thanks for all the replys.

Last edited by Tmac (7/09/2013 4:29 PM)

7/09/2013 4:43 PM  #9

Yea, I always use the urethane ones because the old rubber ones crack and fall out on the first track session. I have gone to the thinner urethane with the hardest material I can get and drill the grease hole and pump them full. No squeaks and very little body roll with the 1-3/8 in. bar.

7/09/2013 11:18 PM  #10

I use white Teflon tape w/ poly bushings.  Stays quiet.  Used some washers to shim between the bracket and the frame rail so the bar isn't pinched or bound up.

with rubber, I'd just install em dry.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.