FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2018 6:07 AM  #1

Dyno Question

My engine is finally finished and is going to the dyno likely next Friday. In addition to wanting to break
the engine in on the dyno, I also wanted to dial in the jetting and get the air fuel/ratios correct- or at least close- before dropping it in the car.  However, there are only 2 places with engine dynos within a reasonable drive of my house and neither one of them has a sniffer to measure air/fuel ratios- they both just measure BSFC. Is there any correlation that can be drawn between BSFC and air/fuel ratios?  Should I drive several hours to find another dyno shop that will measure AFRs?

10/14/2018 10:32 AM  #2

Re: Dyno Question

At minimum you should look at exhaust temps. I have not been impressed with the older methods of airflow and fuel flow since both are hard to calibrate over a wide range. You may want to invest in an air/fuel meter that uses a wideband O2 sensor.

10/14/2018 11:53 AM  #3

With no way to measure A/F ratio, and if there's no help from an experienced dyno operator to guide you, I'd go elsewhere.  The problem is, once its in the dyno cell the clock starts ticking.  Its not really a good time to try and learn a whole different tuning method. 

BSFC numbers can tell you a lot, because its a measure of efficiency.  Typically when BSFC numbers improve you should be making more power because an efficient engine is making the most use of the fuel its being fed and therefore producing the most power from it. 

I agree with DC, something like an AEM A/F ratio gauge with datalogging ability is very helpful.  Honestly though, I'd probably just drop the engine in the car and tune it, then run it at the strip enough to be consistent and start making changes to get it dialed in.  Once I was happy with it I might consider a trip to a chassis dyno and see if there was anything else to be gleaned. 

10/14/2018 4:50 PM  #4

Yeah, I'd pop it in the car break it in and then get it all tuned up. A lot changes to the tune when under a load (a Dynojet is roughly 2800 lbs). What people call "rolling road" dyno is the best for all around tuning. But honestly, so is reading the plugs  

10/14/2018 9:48 PM  #5

Unless its a "full-on race piece......."     What's the point?! (Meaning using it to make money)
Everyday driver/weekend toy  break it in IN the car and then go to a chassis dyno for best tune.
Jus say'in,
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/14/2018 10:43 PM  #6

Don’t let the dyno naysayers get you down. 

Have you talked to the local dyno operators about what their opinion is?  Just a seat of the pants guess but by knowing displacement, RPM and fuel comsumption it seems like one could come up with an approximation of air fuel ratio.

10/15/2018 4:52 AM  #7

The biggest problem is you're guessing at volumetric efficiency, and without that information you're guessing at A/F ratio, or at least what its actual effect on the engine is.  There's no direct way I know to measure VE, and typically its approximated, or figured backwards from other data, part of which is A/F ratio. 

BSFC numbers are interesting, and can be used as one tuning aid (one of many), but are mostly useful in comparing engines across a particular class of engines (e.g. turbo Diesel vs. turbo Diesel, or 2 valve gas vs. 2 valve gas) to highlight particular design criteria that improve efficiency. 

10/15/2018 7:00 AM  #8

I have spent a lot of long days in a dyno cell. More were joyous occasions some were not. I have pretty much decided that the biggest value of those days was to get everything  to about 90 percent. There are so many more dynamic things to consider when you get things all together in the car. Vehicle dynamic loading is a lot different than a water brake or eddy current load. Unless you just want the experience or you are going to race the thing, I would spend the money on a good air fuel ratio gauge and put the motor in the car. I can't ever remember running an engine on road or track the way it came off the dyno. At least I had to change mixture. The air/fuel ratio meter makes that a breeze.

10/15/2018 7:20 PM  #9

So just to be clear, I am not a "dyno naysayer" I question spending money on an engine dyno for the stated requirement of breaking the engine in and doing some initial tuning.

For a few years I spent more time than I can count doing tuning, but most of it was at WOT for the EFI late model crowd. When someone wanted driveability we slapped a wideband on it and drove around logging the A/F and looking at data from the ECM. Stuff like fuel trims, timing, etc. Also any time I did a WOT only tune on the dyno and after the guy got his bragging rights dyno sheet I'd pull 2-4 degrees of timing out and fatten it up a bit. Again because of the stated fact that street vehicle loads are different from a dyno.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

10/15/2018 7:42 PM  #10

If you are knowledgeable and experienced, firing off a brand new engine in your car may seem like no big deal.

But, if you are like me, and do not possess black magic plug reading skills, carburetor ouija board for jetting, chicken bones to set the timing and distributor curve, plus nerves of steel to break in a flat tappet cam spending $300-$600 to get someone to do it on a dyno and make a few pulls may actually be a smart investment.

Could be even more of a challenge in the car if you have to run reduced rate valve springs for cam break-in.  Even with a quality AFR gauge sometimes taking that info and correctly applying it is difficult for someone who does not have their masters in vacuum and Carburetor magic.

Plus the value of finding a leak before you very carefully install the engine and all accoutrements.

All this being said, my car will have an AFR gage, and it will get tuned while on the road.

Last edited by Bentworker (10/15/2018 7:43 PM)

10/16/2018 7:23 AM  #11

Ok, I found another dyno shop nearby who can dyno it and provide me with AFRs. I thought the price was relatively good at $450, which includes set up/removal on the dyno and as many pulls as needed to get things dialed in.

While I understand that the tune coming off the dyno won’t be perfect for the road, there a couple reasons why I think it makes sense to break the engine in on the dyno, most of which have already been touched upon above.

First, it will give be a far better starting point from which to fine tune the car for the road than I would have if I just threw the engine in the car and starting testing.

Second, an air/fuel meter won’t show the impact of timing changes on HP/TQ. I like the ability to play with the distributor and set the timing curve on the dyno and get that dialed in. Yes, that can be done on a chassis dyno once the engine is in the car, but it’s easier to do on the dyno.

Third, if something should go wrong with the engine like leaks, etc. (or God forbid a catastrophic failure) I’d rather have that happen before the engine goes in the car so it will be easier to fix.

Fourth,  there’s the old fashioned curiosity of knowing exactly how much hp/tq the engine is making and where the peaks are.

Fifth, it will be interesting to compare engine dyno #s to chassis dyno numbers should I ever take it to a chassis dyno later on.

Finally, we all get to play the dyno guessing game of how much hp/tq will it make!  😀

10/16/2018 12:03 PM  #12

Honestly, reading plugs doesn't work anymore.  It may with points ignition, but once you go to anything high energy the spark is so hot they don't foul out anymore and come out looking like its got a good mixture unless its WAAAAY off. 

I've never tuned an engine by reading plugs that wasn't a two stroke.  Tuning to me is as follows:

Tuning fuel delivery on a carbueted system is somewhat intuitive with a properly sized carb.  One reason I really like the Edelbrock carbs is that they are easy to tune.  If you limit yourself to making one change at a time and observing the impact on drivability you can tell if the change was positive or negative and then make further changes from there.  Once you have that dialed in you can make strip passes until the car is consistent and then try making further changes in the quest for more power and lower ET, though you may also find you lose some drivability.  I take a pass on a fast car at the strip that's no fun to drive on the street.

Timing is a bit more cryptic.  I always start timing an engine based on compression ratio and efficiency.  A modern chamber in a high compression engine is going to need less timing.  An old chamber design on a low compression engine will want a lot of timing.  I would start with no more than 32 degrees total on a higher performance engine, and start around 36 on a low performance one.  Typically you want light springs and all the advance in by 3,000 RPM.  You can try the old bump base timing 2 degrees till it pings then back off, but some engines just won't ping and you have to tune it by feel and drivability.  Once you get that set you can monkey with vacuum advance if you want.  You won't be able to do any of this effectively on a dyno.  You can tune for max power; that's it.  Those same settings may well cause detonation in the car.  Timing on the ragged edge is heavily load dependent. 

One thing to consider about a dyno is that IMO its not a great way to break in an engine, because of the load applied you are really more wearing it in than breaking it in.  On a race engine that's going to live a short life anyway its not a big deal; its going to be under load all its life.  On a street engine you're giving up some longevity starting it off this way. 

So, in summation, for the experience of it?  By all means go for it.  Under the auspices that it will be better tuned?  Either you can tune an engine or you can't.  A dyno is just another tool, but its no substitute for fundamental understanding of how engines work and how changes affect the system.  If you're going by A/F ratio an in car gauge is going to tell you more in the long run than one on a dyno, because the engine is under dynamic loading. 

10/16/2018 12:14 PM  #13

Don't want to get in to a long debate, but tuning by looking at the plugs is totally relevant, it works, and can be done on late model vehicles.

That's pretty aggressive timing and does not take in to account fuel type, power adder (if any), etc, etc. Finally you don't always hear pre ignition. Know how you can tell? Looking at the plugs!

Anyway the OP has found a good place and made up his mind. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

10/16/2018 1:25 PM  #14

I paid to have the engine dyno’d and thought it was money well spent. It’s been years since I tried to tune anything and I probable wasn’t that good back then. I got the sheet for bragging rights, the tune was good enough, not perfect, I got to hear it run, and I found out where it was leaking oil and water before it went into the car and corrected that on the engine stand.

If they have a set of dyno headers available, use them. My headers were new with no runtime till the dyno. The ceramic coating was dulled a good bit during the dyno time. I have read that the dulling is a common thing during dyno time due to the heat generated. Does that happen all the time or just to me, I have no idea. Just putting it out there as food for thought.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/16/2018 1:54 PM  #15

Some headers really glow when doing full power pulls on a dyno. Very Hot! And I still do plug cuts to fine tune engines and check for detonation. You need a magnifying glass sometimes to see all the way up the insulator on some plugs.

10/16/2018 3:16 PM  #16

If the headers aren't glowing you aren't dialed in yet

The old saying is lean is mean, and its 100% true, but it does make some heat. 

Read the plugs or not?  Hey man, whatever works for you.  I'm just saying its never worked for me once we topped 50,000 volts on the ignition, which was first gen GM HEIs and any Fox body or later Mustang I worked on.  Now, electrode erosion from preigniton is a different matter, BUT you have to be careful that what you are really seeing is preignition and not a plug with the incorrect heat range.  Plugs that are too hot will lose the electrode from overheating.  Its harder to pinpoint on thicker electrodes, but on thin wire platinum or iridium plugs I've literally seen them disappear.  A colder plug solved the issue I was having on that particular car, but it was a different set of circumstances that led me to consider heat range as opposed to preignition first, SO it all comes down to experience and unfortunately for the novice there's no magic fix for that. 

The good news is that the more you tune the better you tend to get at it.  You'll figure out a particular car/engine and know what it likes and doesn't and when.  My biggest advice while learning is WRITE STUFF DOWN.  I bounce back and forth from late model EFI to Diesel to old school carb on my various vehicles and I can't remember what the last setup was, what it did, etc.  So I've found taking good notes to be an absolute necessity.  I can tell exactly what my setup is by just looking at the notes, and I can see what I already tried, so I know it either worked better or worse, or made no difference and continue on from there. 

10/16/2018 6:19 PM  #17

Well...........looks like it gonna be DYNO-TIME pretty soon!!!
Tell us all the "stuff" in/on the engine (cam specs -lift--duration@050--LSA) carb size--boreX stroke--CR--rod length--(you DID turn the pistons 180* on the rods, right!?!!) ignition system--timing specs...am I forgetting anything?!
This is gonna be FUN!!
Anything I better than talking about disc brakes and 17" pie plate wheels!!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/16/2018 7:54 PM  #18

Ok, here are the general specs.

347”
3.25” stroke
4.125” bore
5.4”’ rod
Internally balanced
10.25:1 compression
AFR 185 heads
Edelbrock Air Gap manifold
Quickfuel based 680 VS card
Cam is a relatively mild custom ground Comp roller. 218/224 duration, lift is 550 and lsa is 114.
1.6 rockers
Distributor and ignition is Pertronix Ignitor III

I think that covers the important bits!

10/16/2018 8:32 PM  #19

Maybe 250-275HP.......

J/k.......370HP
6sal6

10/16/2018 10:13 PM  #20

So is this like the Price is Right?

Whomever gets closer without going over wins a free bottle of air?

I’ll guess 365... pretty sure 6sally6 is right on.

10/17/2018 5:43 AM  #21

Some more fodder for the discussion... Here is a dyno run of pretty much the same engine I built (exact same cam), except my engine will be carb’d instead of FI. 

I’d be tickled if I can duplicate these results, but I am not expecting to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=buHxbVKLt_g

10/17/2018 5:44 AM  #22

Bentworker wrote:

So is this like the Price is Right?

Whomever gets closer without going over wins a free bottle of air?

I’ll guess 365... pretty sure 6sally6 is right on.

And yes, Price is Right rules apply! 😀

10/17/2018 9:43 AM  #23

If the new motor is close to the EFI version, then you should be in fun time behind the wheel. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/17/2018 6:31 PM  #24

10/17/2018 9:21 PM  #25

Chaplin wrote:

Some more fodder for the discussion... Here is a dyno run of pretty much the same engine I built (exact same cam), except my engine will be carb’d instead of FI.

I’d be tickled if I can duplicate these results, but I am not expecting to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=buHxbVKLt_g

impressive!

You KNOW you're leaving  a good 50-80HP "on-the-table" with that little girl cam, right?!
Jus say'in

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.