FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 7:52 AM  #1

65 Falcon I6 to V8

How’s it going? New to the site and looking for input on a swap. Told this was the place to come for answers. Car is a 65 Falcon Futura 4-door.

Wanting to swap my I6 over to V8..leaning towards a 302 with a C4. Already been looking at front suspension and disc conversions and think that I’m going to with CSRP kit..looks like the best bang for my buck. This is my first older car project  so bear with me on some questions.

1. Do I need power steering or is manual sufficient? It won’t be a daily driver per say, but I would like to drive it on weekends and to work a few times a month.

2. What rear end is pretty much a direct bolt in and doesn’t have to be shortened up if any?

3. I would think getting a used 302 would be the cheaper route but what do I need to keep my eyes open for if looking for used? I would like to give people the benefit of the doubt that when they say “ it ran when I took it out” that there’s no problems..but ya never know.

Last edited by TarheelFalcon (10/17/2018 8:02 AM)

10/17/2018 1:28 PM  #2

Re: 65 Falcon I6 to V8

I'm by no means an authority on things Falcon, butt (TS&T), I was recently very heavily involved in a 64 Falcon Vert conversion from 260 V8, 4-spd to 5.0 EFI, 5 spd, 2008 Mustang GT front power brakes, cable clutch, Vintage Air Gen IV, cruise control, and a whole bunch of custom wiring.  I'll be happy to share the few things I did learn about the second gen Falcon.
Don't try to get too fancy with the exhaust system unless you are prepared to go to custom headers, shock tower mods, etc.  We found that even the Hi-Po manifolds would not work without more percussion engineering than we wanted to do.  You might get away with some stock 289 type Mustang manifolds but maybe not.
Plan on trimming the radiator core support and using a 20" radiator.  Preferably and aluminum one like  Virginia Classic Mustang sells.  Be sure to specify the lower hose position to match your water pump.  And...a proper shroud is a big help. 
I don't know anything about CSRP but the K-H brakes and brackets such as were used on the early Mustangs are an easy swap, not too expensive, and work well.  The MustangSteve power booster conversion is the best one available and can be done to the Falcon without having to learn too many new words.
You said "302" but you will be way ahead to find a core 5.0 from a Crown Vic, Merc Marques, Mustang, T-bird, etc.  The sedan 5.0's were "Standard" versions with around 165 HP.  He High Output versions from a Mustang, MK 7, t-bird, or Explorer up through 2000 made 225 (Expl. 215 but better torque).  These engines have a roller cam and better metallurgy.  You may even find one with very little wear (not usual below 200K miles) that only need some rings and bearings for a cheap overhaul.  These engines were EFI equipped but a manifold and carb is an easy swap and they'll run fine.
Of course you'll need to round up all the Falcon V8 suspension and steering goodies and as for the rearend, a Falcon 8" (V8, five bolt) rear axle might be found or possibly an 8" out of a V8 Mustang (65/66).  Don't know the width difference on the Mustang but I'll bet it's pretty close.  Normally I'd suggest narrowing an Exploder 8.8 but that might be a bit much for your first dive into the abiss.

Hope all of this helps a bit.  Good luck on your project.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/17/2018 1:33 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/17/2018 1:56 PM  #3

Bullet Bob wrote:

I don't know anything about CSRP but the K-H brakes and brackets such as were used on the early Mustangs are an easy swap, not too expensive, and work well.

I helped my Father-in-law install a CSRP Kelsey Hayes disk brake kit on his '66 Mustang, and I was very impressed with it.  I would assume the kit for a '65 Falcon would be very similar if not identical.

10/17/2018 3:34 PM  #4

A rear end from a V-8 Mustang from 64-66 is a direct bolt in for a 65 Falcon.

10/17/2018 6:17 PM  #5

The CSRP are repros of the factory KH disc brakes. I have no personal experience with them but they get good reviews and their kits are very complete, even come with grease. So no worries with them IMO. For a motor, I'm quite fond of the GT40  and especially the GT40P from Explorers. They are cheap and will easily go 300K miles. I put a GT40P with a Mustang 5.0 cam. It was really cheap and runs super. Here's my GT40P swap if you're curious what's involved

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1012953-got-my-gt40p-up-running-my-66-a.html

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

10/17/2018 9:35 PM  #6

See........told ya!!
(I ran into TarheelFalcon on another site and told him about all you guys and how your advice is always "spot-on"!!)
Just to mix it all up some....I pieced together a ScareBird conversion on my front disc. (I think it ended up being "a wash" price wise on the MS conversion set-up)
I remember...back in the day...me and a pal put a set of long tubes on a 260 Falcon Sprint.  They were "made for the car"...and we still needed to use the old "gas hatchet"  on the passenger side. Driver side took about 4/5 hours to install butt that was with NO lift and had to go around a Z-bar.   Gave new meaning to the word TIGHT!
Hang in there...we'll get this little "more door" Falcon built in no time!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/18/2018 5:50 AM  #7

I installed CRSP brakes on my 66 Mustang several years ago and they work great. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

10/18/2018 10:22 AM  #8

My first piece of advice is to double whatever budget you've put together.  If you're not used to working on older cars you'll find that a lot requires attention while you have things apart, and those costs start to add up. 

For the engine, 5.0 GT40 or GT40P is solid advice.  Even with 200k on them they can still go another 100-150k easy.  Shouldn't be too expensive, maybe $500 for a long block.  Leave all the EFI stuff; you won't use it anyway so why pay for it?  It might be worth grabbing the accessory drives off the front.  Not sure about fitment for the Explorer, Crown Vic, etc. front dress, so I'll defer to those with first hand experience.

For the trans, you need to decide what you want to do with the car.  If you plan to take it on some long trips with highway traveling I would suggest getting a later model trans that has OD.  This will allow you to run a performance rear gear for fun around town, but not scream the engine to death while trying to run 80mph on the highway to keep up with traffic.

For the rear, look for an 8" front an early Mustang.  They are usually being sold for not a lot of money.  Gear selection is decent, and parts are available.  In a street car with a 5.0 it should hold up just fine.

For the steering I would suggest power via Borgeson.  The old manual steering can work, but its a super slow ratio, and you have to spend some money on it to rebuild the box, go to roller idler arm, etc.  I'd rather see you put that money into a modern power setup that's going to steer like a newer car.  You will probably need some fittings to adapt the PS pump you get with your 5.0 engine, but it should be a C2 or C3 Ford pump and will work just fine.

10/18/2018 10:43 AM  #9

So I’ve come across a guy parting out a 64 Falcon sprint with a 8” rear and asking $250 but I’ve gotta remove it. Hes got pics of the car online but doesn’t show the rear and says he won’t send photos. Did say I could come check it out though.

And another guy selling a 9” rear that came out of a 65 Falcon that’s 50.5” from backing plate to backing plate..asking $300.

Thoughts?

10/18/2018 10:57 AM  #10

Unless you are planning on mega HP or are going racing, I'd say grab the 8" and forget the 9".

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/18/2018 10:58 AM  #11

Bullet Bob wrote:

Unless you are planning on mega HP or are going racing, I'd say grab the 8" and forget the 9".

BB

Thanks Bullet

10/18/2018 12:35 PM  #12

Now what about the frame/body as far as sturdiness? I see a lot of these front suspension kits have welded in frame pieces when going to v8.

10/18/2018 3:26 PM  #13

Whats he want for the 64 Sprint?!....Might get it and swap all the pieces you need into your Falcon!!
Local?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/18/2018 3:45 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Whats he want for the 64 Sprint?!....Might get it and swap all the pieces you need into your Falcon!!
Local?
6sally6

He said he isn’t selling the car..just parting out. Going to ride up in the morning and check it out..bout a 40minute drive. He did mention he has the 5 lug front suspension also. How hard would all of that be to take out without special tools? I asked him how he wanted it supported once I took the suspension and rear end out and he hasn’t replied. If he’s parting it can I just drop the body on the ground or will it need to sit on jacks?

Last edited by TarheelFalcon (10/18/2018 7:17 PM)

10/18/2018 4:17 PM  #15

TarheelFalcon wrote:

Now what about the frame/body as far as sturdiness? I see a lot of these front suspension kits have welded in frame pieces when going to v8.

You need a set of subframe connectors.  All these cars need them.  Then I'd say add the export brace and Monte Carlo bar and that'll really stiffen up the car considerably.  This will allow your suspension to work properly, instead of putting its energy into twisting the chassis.  It will also force the engine to use its torque to properl the car instead of twisting the chassis. 

On the rear, I vote 8" too.  The 9" is great for high power, but honestly for that they need to be one of the better 9"s, which most of the stock rears you find aren't.  In stock form, without the rare and expensive nodular iron case a 9" is only marginally stronger than an 8".  Failures in these rears are more often than not the case in the area of the pocket bearing (because the pinion bearings are too close together).  The ring gear's size makes the 9" theoretically stronger, but in practice other parts will break long before that extra 1" of ring gear diameter helps.  I seem to remember reading that they actually used the same axles in 8" and 9" rears, and I think on the years in question the axle bearings are the same size too.  Literally not much difference, and certainly not worth any premium or hassle in terms of installation. 

10/18/2018 7:32 PM  #16

The front suspension  MIGHT be a good deal too! Need to be on blocks/jacks something.  Also you will need a coil spring removal tool to get  the upper/lower arms.
Spindles are all you REALLY need off the front.... don't need a spring remover to get these The A-arms and lower arms you can buy from MOOG

10/19/2018 6:38 AM  #17

TarheelFalcon wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Local?
6sally6

He said he isn’t selling the car..just parting out. Going to ride up in the morning and check it out..bout a 40minute drive. He did mention he has the 5 lug front suspension also. How hard would all of that be to take out without special tools? I asked him how he wanted it supported once I took the suspension and rear end out and he hasn’t replied. If he’s parting it can I just drop the body on the ground or will it need to sit on jacks?

You got a cuttin' torch?  Take it.  Couple of stumps or milk crates?  Take them.  Cherry picker to lift the car?  Thak that, or at least a floor jack.  And get a friend or two to go along to help.
Nip the front springs and grab the upper control arms and spindles, you're gonna want new springs anyway.   May need to take the lower CA's also just for convenience and replace them when you do your car. 
Blow off the rear U-bolts (use care, don't hurt the axle tube) and take the rear end out the side or blow off the rear shackles and slide it out the rear.  Be careful with that torch around  the gas tank...PLEASE. Leave the springs, you're gonna buy new ones anyway and getting those rusty old front spring bolts out is a PIA and dangerous under an vehicle with questionable support.  Also get the spring plates that mount the shocks.
Don't worry about brake lines or hoses,  parking brake cables, etc, you ain't gonna use that old junk anyway.
Easiest way would  be to just flip it up on it's side but that might not be accetable.

Good luck, hope this guy isn't a total flake.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/19/2018 6:40 AM)

10/19/2018 10:33 AM  #18

So went and checked the car out this morning. The car had been hit on the drivers side by a Honda..but the front fenders and rear on both sides still looked straight and not affected. Someone had already bought the trunk lid and bumpers so I could get right there at the rear end. Looking at it, didn’t appear to have any warpage or looked like it got affected at all but he did remove the gears (would I want to upgrade anyway)? Leaf springs, shocks(looked pretty new..had coil over shocks) and rear all “looked” like they were worth taking for $250. The original front suspension had been bought, but the guy who came and picked it up put a 65 mustang front suspension back in place (car had discs but the guy swapped them to 5 lug drum). He said I could have all the front suspension parts and the wheels and tires also. Also mentioned that I could take the steering box but I don’t think I’ll need it if it came off a 64. Think it’s worth it? Also mentioned that he would haul it to my place, let me keep it there until i could get it removed and then come back for the body and everything else when I was done. Everything for $500

Last edited by TarheelFalcon (10/19/2018 10:43 AM)

10/19/2018 11:17 AM  #19

Are you sure it’s a 8”? Not to question your intelligence, but more to satisfy my thought process, I read… 

TarheelFalcon wrote:

he did remove the gears (would I want to upgrade anyway)?

And my head registered gears coming out the back, not a center chunk out the front.

You should shop around for a center chunk to go back in that rearend, you might be surprised at the cost. Upgrading gears when you already have a chunk will be cheaper. There is a complete 8" rearend for a 67-70 Mustang on craigslist for Houston for $200. For my car several years ago, I paid $300 for a 9” housing for the 67-70 Mustangs and $300 for a used center chunk with 3.50 gears and a traction lock unit.
 If there are coil over shocks on the back, sounds like the leaves were weak and sagging. Agree with Bullet Bob about new leaf springs, coil springs, and shocks. For the front stuff, have a small wire brush and be looking for the casting numbers to make they are what he says they are. Call it a “trust but verfiy” to cover yourself.

I would be leery of someone dropping a parts car off in my driveway and coming back to get it later. I would want to hold off on paying the last hundred till he came back, but that's just me. Good luck.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/20/2018 5:29 AM  #20

New gears are going to run about $320 from Randy's.  I think Richmond makes them too, and they are cheaper, but they howl on deceleration, so I'd pay the premium for the Yukons from Randy's.  I've installed a couple dozen sets of Yukons and never had a single issue. 

I would definitely get a limited slip in it.  Probably looking at $500-$650 for that new.

Then all the bearings and races should be changed, and get rid of that damn crush sleeve and go to a solid spacer.

The 8" isn't cheap to build; that's where the 9" really shines because they are so much more plentiful and THE standard for high performance use.  You can look for used stuff, but I would not buy used gears, and even buying a used diff is dicey. 

10/20/2018 10:59 AM  #21

I'd rather buy 1960's original Henry metal gears that taking a chance on the new stuff, which many complain about. I've bought a handful of gears from "the-gear-works" on ebay, and will again if needed. The owner Paul, is one of the good guys, imo.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/20/2018 2:32 PM  #22

Hey Tarheel, If you'd like to see a good YouTube slide show of the rebuild we did last winter on the 64 Falcon you can Google "Falcon Repower Medium 2"  Maybe that will give you some ideas and get the juices flowing.

BB

10/21/2018 5:25 AM  #23

The downside to used gear from the '60s at this point in time is that you have no idea how many miles are on them.  Its could be 50k, 100k, 200k, 500k, who knows.  You also don't know how hey were used.  Gears like any other metal will fatigue over time, and eventually fail.  This situation is compounded by people not having changed the gear oil regularly.  Gears have a surface hardening treatment that will eventually be literally cooked right out of them.  Transmissions also suffer from this, and its why some years ago I stopped working on older 4 speeds because I could not produce reliable high performance transmissions from 40-50 year old parts.  Gear failures became increasingly common, and after talking to a couple guys who know more than I do we finally traced the root cause back to the gears just being used up.  They look fine, but there's microscopic damage that leads to failure in short order.  We were all wondering what to do, because there were no new parts for those transmissions at the time.  Finally some savvy companies stepped in and started making gears again and the situation has resolved itself.  Though in the meantime the aftermarket and production 5 and 6 speed transmissions got so good most guys just started swapping up to an OD instead of running the old 4 speeds in anything other than a restoration. 

Rear gears are the same deal.  Having experienced my fair share of rear end failures I rebuild anything used that goes in any vehicle I drive.  The bearings most likely should be replaced anyway.  By the time you're that far into it the gears are already out.  If the gears fail you end up with damage to other parts and in the end it winds up as false economy.

All that being said, over the years I've tried gears from a variety of sources.  The bargain bin ones are made in China junk from my experience.  They don't pattern well, and make noise in operation.  Even the big names have no guarantee.  I hit upon Yukon gears almost 20 years ago, and have stuck with them, and always been happy.  Recently I rebuilt the rear for my '89 GT project.  I opted for a set of Ford Racing gears, which were the standard for 5.0s for decades.  The yoke would not go on the pinion splines without extreme force, making setting up the gears impossible.  I checked the stock gears and the yoke was just slightly tighter than a slip fit.  I checked both the used yoke and the brand new OEM yoke I was using and both fit the same.  I finally bought a set of Yukon gears and the yoke fit like it did on the stock gears.  Installation was a breeze and setup went smoothly.  Suffice to say I learned my lesson. 

10/22/2018 9:53 AM  #24

Probably too late to help.
1.  No stock Falcon came with 9" rear ends
2.  Rear ends that work
     64-65 Falcon
     65-66 Mustang
     Mid to late 80 Granada, Fairmont
3.  Do NOT use any 64 Falcon front steering components.  Spindles, idler, pitman, center link, tie rods all
     different and EXPENSIVE.  Center link guarrantees bump steer.
4.  Do NOT use 65-66 Mustang center link.  They are too long.  All other Mustang front susp is OKAY.
5.  HIPO exhausts at one time were available for the Falcons.  They look identical to Mustang but will
     clearance the shock towers.
6.  Until recently, there was no such thing as a Falcon export brace.  Maybe now, though.
7.  Plan to remove column shifting, as it interferes with exhausts.  Floor shift is okay.

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

10/22/2018 10:10 AM  #25

8.  5.0 from efi era is preferable if you plan on driving a lot.  Any s/b (289-302-5.0) that will clean up at .030 or less is fine for a puddle jumper.  5.0 roller cam blocks may require changing harmonic balancer, flywheel, front pulleys, adding  a fuel pump eccentric, changing distributor drive gear, changing timing chain, different timing chain cover.  Swap articles rarely cover all "gotchas".
9.  Stepping up to larger aluminum radiators seems to be where its at these days, but a standard 3 row copper radiator will adequately handle cooling duties on properly built motors.
10.  Avoid installing extra large tires and rims.  They bring with them a basket full of handling and clearance issues.
Best
Al

Classic cars are full of surprises and almost none of them are good ones!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.