FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2013 1:24 PM  #1


1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

I have a 66 fairlane 500 with 408W stroker, AOD, and 4 wheel disc brakes , KH 4 piston calipers in front, and 96 explorer 8.8 rearend with single piston calipers in the rear. At this point i do not have power brakes (no Booster), and am using a master cylinder from NAPA for 67-72 mustang w/power brakes. I have a lot of brake pedal swing. If I stick with manual brakes, what master cylinder should I use? if I want power brakes, what master cylinder and Booster should I use? the engine pulls 13 in HG at idle. Do I need a vacuum canister or electric vacuum pump? Thanks, Neal.

 

7/17/2013 8:34 AM  #2


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

(I moved this post from the HOW TO USE THE FORUM forum to the tech area.)  Just found it today 7/17.

When you say you have alot of brake pedal swing, I assume you mean there is alot of travel in the brake pedal before anything happens.  Once it does happen, do the brakes perform properly without excessive leg effort?  Or do you have a mushy pedal?  Or does it require lots of leg with little braking action?

Typically with a system such as yours, using manual brakes, a 15/16" master cylinder such as a 74 Maverick disc/drum unit would work.  (It has no residual pressure valve so it works with 4-wheel discs.)  But, if you have excessive pedal travel with the 1" bore 67-72 mc you already have, then it will get alot worse with a smaller bore master cylinder.

What problem are you having with the brakes?


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/17/2013 8:26 PM  #3


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

Hello Steve:
The problem is - I am used to modern power brakes!
Seriously, too much pedal travel and required force for my liking is the problem.
The brakes do get hard, and they are not mushy.
You are correct, my existing MC has a 1 " bore.
Do I need to go to larger bore, manual MC, like a wilwood?
Power brakes would be great - but so far, folks I have consulted stated I need a vacuum pump, not just a canister.
In your opinion, what is best option manual MC I should try first?
thank you, Neal.
 

     •Thread Starter
 

7/18/2013 12:43 PM  #4


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

Neal,

It sounds like your brakes are working perfectly fine.  It is the leg that is having the trouble!

If you want an EASIER pedal, you are going to have to change the MC to a 15/16" bore.  It will take less effort to push, but you will have a longer stroke than now.  If you convert to power brakes, keep the 1" mc.

What cam are you using that makes a vacuum pump required for power brakes?  I would think it would not be too much problem to find an original booster and brake pedal for your car.  Ford diesel pickups have a nice vacuum pump for a not-too-ridiculous price.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/18/2013 4:30 PM  #5


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

I am running Competion Cam fuller roller cam XR282RF-HR (35-425-8) (2,000-6,000 rpm) (0.513 / 0.529 lift) (230/236 duration). I measured 13 in HG using vacuum gauge at idle.
I am just trying to maximize manual disc brakes.
Word to the wise - the car stopped better with manual front discs, and rear drums - I do know the reason why!
I can obtain booster/MC and pump for around $800, not including new pedal.
I was just hoping not to have to use pump. Is a canister even an option?
thank you.

     •Thread Starter
 

7/18/2013 6:25 PM  #6


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

I have never actually tested a booster to see how it operates with small amounts of vacuum, and to find out what the minmum requirement is, so I cannot really speak to the 13 inch reading.  Sounds pretty low, though.  I would not let a diesel pickup vacuum motor make the yes or no decision, though.  You should build it how you want it to be.  See my tagline...


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/18/2013 7:58 PM  #7


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

Can that late model diesel pickup electric vacuum pump be used for vacuum brakes? Isn't it just for the vacuum needed for the stuff under the dash like AC/heater doors and other accessories? 


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
 

7/18/2013 9:39 PM  #8


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

Several people have said they used them.  Not sure, but doesn't that truck have vacuum booster for brakes?  It would be alot cheaper to use electronics on the dash items, I would think.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

7/18/2013 9:46 PM  #9


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

MustangSteve wrote:

Several people have said they used them.  Not sure, but doesn't that truck have vacuum booster for brakes?  It would be alot cheaper to use electronics on the dash items, I would think.

They're using hydoboost brakes on the new diesels or the older ones use a belt driven pump. I looked into this a while ago and the description for that pump states it's used for the vacuum actuated doors for ac/heat and used for the vacuum operated hubs. They are certainly smaller and cheaper than the ones the brake venders sell.


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
 

7/19/2013 12:48 AM  #10


Re: 1966 Fairlane - 4 wheel disc brakes

I ran a standard booster with 9" vacuum without problems unless I hit the brakes repeatedly at idle.  A blip of the throttle would build it back up.  A proper check valve is essential to maintain vac. in the booster.  I think you'll be fine if you went the vac booster route.

 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.