FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2020 4:29 AM  #26

Re: Anyone have 01 Bullitt wheels narrowed ?

unfortunately, I don’t have my brakes installed either.  I have been reluctant to pull all the old parts off before so sort out a few other issues.  I want the car to be otherwise drivable so I can test out the brakes when I have them together.  

50vert wrote:

I'm also committed to using the cobra brakes that are somewhere in the shed. Just can't justify spending on wheels and tyres at the moment.
A solution I've just'a bout decided on is these.
https://www.performancewheels.com.au/product/pw-100s-classic/
They also do a Magnum.
https://www.performancewheels.com.au/product/magnum/
They will do custom offsets upto 15mm. Need +12.7mm to get 4.5" backspace. But only if you correctly fillout thier form. This would tell if they fit the cobra stuff. If only the magnum fits, I'd still be happy.

Would you mind doing me a huge favour and take a few measurements? maybe MS has the measurements off the top off his head.
The company is an Ozzie wholesale only, but a distributor is an importer of other wheels, including AR ... export is basically the same. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

8/19/2020 6:07 AM  #27

Does anyone have the brake/rotor/hub/caliper dimensions already captured?    That would really help me figure out my wheel needs,     

I am getting no help from the wheel manufacturers.

8/19/2020 12:22 PM  #28

I was able to get some dims for the Legendary GT9    17x7".    I think these have a 4.25" backspacing.

Anyone want to chime in to see if these will clear the 13" rotors and Cobra Calipers?

8/19/2020 12:23 PM  #29

better picture of the caliper clearance:
***It won't let me upload the pic***

Last edited by caveeagle (8/19/2020 12:46 PM)

8/20/2020 2:50 PM  #30

My best estimation is the Legendary GT9 wheels will not fit.  My rough measurements are that the Cobra PBR calipers need about 25mm clearance from the wheel,  and the GT9s ony have about 15mm (at best),

I canot find any Torque Trust M wheels in the right size,  and custom wheel options are totally insane costwise.

So..  As much as I like the GT9 wheels,  I think I will be sticking with the GT/Bullet Wheels and getting them narrowed.

I just spoke with James at Weldcraft wheels.  Hes seemed very helpful and will narrow my wheels up to 1.5"  for $175 per wheel.    Since my wheels are nearly new,  I think I will go this route.

The 1" reduction, should work, but I was thinking I might have them cut 1.25" just because I am planning some suspension upgrades for this winter and don't want to run into any issue down the road.   maybe that .25" could save me a headache later?

I was planning 225/45r17 tires..    for the front..  anyone see an issue with a 16.75" wheel?   or should I conform to the 17" path?

8/20/2020 7:36 PM  #31

caveeagle wrote:

My best estimation is the Legendary GT9 wheels will not fit.  My rough measurements are that the Cobra PBR calipers need about 25mm clearance from the wheel,  and the GT9s ony have about 15mm (at best),

I canot find any Torque Trust M wheels in the right size,  and custom wheel options are totally insane costwise.

So..  As much as I like the GT9 wheels,  I think I will be sticking with the GT/Bullet Wheels and getting them narrowed.

I just spoke with James at Weldcraft wheels.  Hes seemed very helpful and will narrow my wheels up to 1.5"  for $175 per wheel.    Since my wheels are nearly new,  I think I will go this route.

The 1" reduction, should work, but I was thinking I might have them cut 1.25" just because I am planning some suspension upgrades for this winter and don't want to run into any issue down the road.   maybe that .25" could save me a headache later?

I was planning 225/45r17 tires..    for the front..  anyone see an issue with a 16.75" wheel?   or should I conform to the 17" path?

The shape of the wheel rim dictates how much can be successfully cut out  I would not want a wheel less than 7” wide.  Remove enough to make the wheel 7” wide and it will be fine.  You can always add a 1/4” spacer if you have enough fender clearance.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.