FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2019 12:59 PM  #76

Re: What did you do to your Mustang today?

You need to check to see if the front and rear wheels are in line (thrust angle) and if your steering is centered.  If camber and caster are correct the issue lies either with toe or thrust angle.

I will also say that ideally you want about 0.25-.0.50 degrees more caster on the RH wheel to account for road crown.  If the caster is the same side to side the pull you're experiencing might be the road; not the car. 

3/21/2019 4:33 PM  #77

Thanks TKO.  Pull is the same going both directions on the same stretch of highway...and on every other road.  I don't care for "crown adjustment" so I run it the same on both sides.  I suppose it could be dog-tracking a bit though I've had no other indication or reports from those following me.
Tomorrow I will be checking that the steering box is centered and also making sure the Power Steering Idler Arm is centered also.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2019 4:38 PM  #78

What I've been working on lately: http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=77530#p77530

3/25/2019 5:32 PM  #79

I really like the tucked bumper look, and Hakan, as always, beautiful fab work!

3/26/2019 9:14 PM  #80

Took the firewall cover off and wrapped that black sticky tared cork stuff around the a/c tubes to stop the condensation from dripping on Karen's feet.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/27/2019 4:12 AM  #81

I spun the car around (not quite 360deg), in the wet. Not fun

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/31/2019 3:06 PM  #82

Not for my Mustang but for a '67 Shelby GT 350 that we are gonna make the rest of a custom Monte Carlo bar for tomorrow as it's supercharged and the intake pipe is in the way for a regular bar.

4/02/2019 2:41 PM  #83

The finishing of the Monte Carlo bar and install had to wait until earlier tonight. I am well aware of the pointlessness of using heim joints as part of the design, but the owner wanted them and as I got paid anyway I can live with it.

4/02/2019 3:06 PM  #84

Hakan wrote:

The finishing of the Monte Carlo bar and install had to wait until earlier tonight. I am well aware of the pointlessness of using heim joints as part of the design, but the owner wanted them and as I got paid anyway I can live with it.

Please tell me what you cut up to make that fine fender apron.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

4/02/2019 3:08 PM  #85

I crawled underneath to check out the reverse light wiring on my T5 as the reverse lights no longer work. A simple fix as one of the wires was not making a good connection.

4/02/2019 3:29 PM  #86

Bullet Bob wrote:

Other than that, I'm gonna try not to do anything but drive it for the next couple of years.....RIGHT!

BB

Yeah right. These cars are never done are they? My first long distance bash to Florida and I lost the brake lights. Fried the switch as a wire got caught between the clutch pedal and some sheet metal. Installed a push-button switch on the shifter so I could manually light the brake lights the rest of the way home. Got that fixed. Wife lost an appendix on the way home in Denton, TX. Second long distance bash to Glen Rose, TX and the car ran fabulous the whole way. No problems whatsoever (that I know of). What is in store for this years Bash? Can I bring enough parts to fix it on the side of the road? IDK, but it seems the more I drive it the more fixing it needs. They may be simple, but most of my parts are old, including me. 

I am still trying to figure out why the cruise control switches off "sometimes' with the left turn signal, never the right. That drives me frigging nuts. 

The AC don't work to well in the hotter climates. I roll all the windows down and it's still hot in the car. Someday I'll fix that too. 

Oh, the horn only seems to work 97.365% of the time, not when you really need it. 

4/03/2019 10:10 AM  #87

RV6 wrote:

Please tell me what you cut up to make that fine fender apron.

Nothing was cut up as they can be bought that way. Not sure from where my buddy bought it, but similar seems to be available here:

https://bobsoriginalfendercovers.com/product/ford-fender-cover/

https://www.amazon.com/Rupse-Automotive-Mechanic-Magnetic-Protective/dp/B01NCNBR0V

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/opg-ch30118/overview/

4/04/2019 10:39 AM  #88

Winter is waning and my health is improved some so its time to start back in with a vengeance on restoring the 67.  I was going to tie up the fuel system, flush the cooling system, replace the radiator, freshen up the ignition system and have her running by the end of the Spring.  That plan has been scrapped.
The previous owner had been in a driver front accident and did a patch job.  He replaced the driver fender, WHOLE DRIVER FRONT FENDER APRON (original VIN is gone, but the passenger VIN is still there), and rear driver fender apron.  While everything appears to be “within spec” (measurements to come), the weld job was very sub par.  There are washers and bolts welded into the seams of the patch work to fill in the gaps.  Needless to say I can’t leave it like that. 

So the next iteration of getting the car up and running is to pull the engine and replace the offending fender aprons.  The “While You’re In There” rule rears it’s ugly head.  Since I’m pulling the engine I figured its time to get put in an Explorer 5.0 and a T5 from the Buzeks. 

Here are some pictures of my progress so far and the fender aprons getting replaced.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

4/04/2019 11:51 AM  #89

Good plan to replace the engine and clean up the PO's messes.  DIO,DIR is a good rule to apply when you can and usually makes you happier in the end.

Good luck, no reason to be in a hurry.  Will we see you at the Bash this year?

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/04/2019 11:51 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/04/2019 3:14 PM  #90

Done with the polishing of the shortened Explorer drive shaft, next in line is the cold air intake:

4/04/2019 3:38 PM  #91

Drove It.  Went into town, made a stop at the my favorite JD supply house, stopped and visited my old machinist buddy, Ted (Those of you who were here for Bash 13 recall Ted), went by the Ace Hardware for some glass cleaner, came home.  Tested the AC...it still seems to work after setting all winter.  Think we're very close to being Good to Go.

BB

4/05/2019 11:03 AM  #92

Drove it to lunch today!!!

Got the new gears set up in the chunk and it's all back in the car. Shifted the rearend 1/4" to get it centered in the car while I was at it. Drove it about 25 miles last night. The interior is a lot quieter. No tire rubbing with an empty trunk either. Now, to deal with the wind noise and find out what it does loaded.

It's kinda funny......as I sit here and eating lunch staring at the car, it's got a 1/8" of pollen dust on it from sitting in the garag and people stopping to take pictures as they go by.

Life is good today.....along with a bunch of others. 

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (4/05/2019 11:14 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/05/2019 2:18 PM  #93

I removed my sequential LED tail lights because one was brighter than the other. It looked like the blinker was stuck or one brake light was out. I don't remember where I got them or anything about them it's been so long. So I drove it to the auto parts store via the "big block" to buy a flasher for the incandescent bulbs. And test out the A/C. The hi pressure hose came loose at the compressor and most of a can of freon leaked out. It now runs again at 38º indicated.     "Life is good today...... "

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/05/2019 2:42 PM  #94

John, did moving your rear end help with the tyre scrape issues you had??
Hope so ....it'd be a shame to swap those wheels.
... just reread the post. Is it still the 8"?

Last edited by 50vert (4/05/2019 3:53 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

4/05/2019 6:22 PM  #95

50vert wrote:

John, did moving your rear end help with the tyre scrape issues you had??
Hope so ....it'd be a shame to swap those wheels.
... just reread the post. Is it still the 8"?

Hey Barry, It’s a 9 inch, same one that was in it at Glen Rose. Now it has new guts.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/05/2019 7:57 PM  #96

I "ranched" mine off....getting ready for 'company' next week AND the weekend car show tomorrow.
I had to "git-after-it" with a flat-nose shovel to get the old yeller pollen off of it first before I could wrench-it!
The stuff was extra heavy this year!  Not sure if "pollen-season" is finally over YET butt......its getting less-and-less.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/06/2019 9:36 AM  #97

Made this "cold air intake" that's supposed to go inside the driver's side front fender. Probably have to add some kind of shield for the air filter later on.

4/06/2019 10:48 AM  #98

6sally6 wrote:

..........snip........I had to "git-after-it" with a flat-nose shovel to get the old yeller pollen off of it first before I could wrench-it! ..............snip.......6sally6

I'm beginning to understand that the homesteaders hereabouts speak a native tongue unknown to other humans (yes, I'm talking bout you BB).

So...u have pollen in SC so thick that a shovel is needed to remove said pollen from Automobiles......OK....fine......I completely understand.

Hakan wrote:

Made this "cold air intake" .........snip......

That is not a "cold air intake"...it's a piece of Art.

4/08/2019 3:18 PM  #99

Took the winter blankets off the 68 and with the air cleaner off squirted a few ounces  of 91 octane in the 4160, hit the starter and in a turn or two started right up. After backing it out of the heated garage I I let her come up to temp and put it back to await the first drive.
We had a torrential rain last night so most of the winters accumulation of salt and road grit is gone, I won’t drive it till all that crap is gone.
My right knee is feeling  good and strong after the joint was replaced in January. I will have to do it all over again in May on the other side, it is a more complicated surgery because the 14 year old joint has to be taken out before the new one is put in.
Just like an old Mustang, thankfully new parts are in stock.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/08/2019 4:58 PM  #100

Putting the 5.0 roller block engine back together today. Once the rings were installed, all 8 slugs went back in their respective hole. Cam and timing chain are in, lifters, dog bones and spider, oil pump, pick up screen. Sorting out the timing chain cover/h2o pump bolts for tomorrows install.  Ended the day by giving the block and pan a coat of paint.......in between all that, pestered BB and MS with questions.  Should have the engine buttoned up tomorrow.....twill see....

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.