FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2019 8:18 PM  #1

More T-5 questions

I thought that this subject should be taken out of the "What did you do to your Mustang today" post???

MS----The 94 T5 has a longer input that the more desirable (for retrofit) 93 and earlier.  If you don't change out the input shaft, then you have to use the 1994-95 bellhousing, which has the cable entry bracket clocked lower on the driver side.  That is great on a 94-95 Mustang, but will very nastily interfere with the power steering lower ram on a 70 Mustang.  If you converted to Borgeson box, I think you are OK.
There is not a good cable clutch system available for the 70, so you have to go with the old horse/buggy z-bar or hydraulic.  If you use the z-bar, you will have to use a tranny adapter plate instead of the better T5 bellhousing.

MS-----I learned my lesson on used T5’s many years ago. Since then, nothing but brand new or Buzek-built will do. And, honestly, I have had better luck with Buzek-built than the new ones.

TKO------150k miles its definitely time for a rebuild.  Personally I'd just change the input shaft to the '85-'93 one.  The SN95 bellhousing was a two year only offering, whereas the Fox ones are much easier to find.

T5s take a beating in use.  Be prepared to replace the reverse idler gear, the 1/2 slider, and likely the 2nd speed gear at a minimum.  I've yet to rebuild a T5 that didn't need at least the first two.  The 2nd speed gear takes a beating from hard 1/2 shifts, usually with a factory shifter.  Do yourself a favor and get a Pro 5.0.

One trick that is inexpensive to get a T5 a bit more durability is to install a billet countergear rear bearing retainer.  This allows you to preload the countergear by 0.003", which eliminates oscillation induced failures common with the stock stamped retainer.  The mainshaft should get the same preload.  Its not going to magically make the gears stronger, or eliminate mainshaft flex, but it will be better than stock.  In the right application it can mean the difference between survival and breakage.

MS. You say I need to change it over to use the shorter input shaft and an adaptor. Won't the adaptor require the longer input shaft? I installed the Borgeson power steering and removed all the hydraulics associated with the power steering except the pump. I was planning on using the Z bar but I sometimes read that it will get in the way of the shorty JBA headers. Do you know if that's correct?

TKO.  I thought I would build the tranny myself. I've done a few standard transmissions back in the late 60's and 70's. I'm a little nervous about what I don't know about the T5. Like the parts I should replace vs the parts I need to replace. Is there a manual that you could recommend on the information your are suggesting?

I got the drive shaft out the Mustang that the T5 came out of and put the yoke into my old 3 speed. I also got the AOD driveshaft and it fits into the 3 speed. Knowing that will the existing driveshaft work with the T5 install?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/19/2019 8:38 PM  #2

Re: More T-5 questions

Gearboxvideo.com has great t5 rebuild vids. Plus he wrote a great manual on gearbox rebuilding..

3/20/2019 12:42 PM  #3

Can anyone recommend a reliable source and a quality rebuild kit for the fox era T5?

3/20/2019 2:30 PM  #4

The 93 and earlier T5 input shaft is still 3/4” longer than your old three speed, so the adapter works out perfect. Fox driveshaft is way too short for a 70. You will stil need to shorten the 70 shaft 3/4”.
If using the adapter, you will use the old three speed bellhousing and z-bar linkage. And shorter drive shaft.  And a crossmember from MustangSteve.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/20/2019 3:11 PM  #5

MS wrote:

The 93 and earlier T5 input shaft is still 3/4” longer than your old three speed, so the adapter works out perfect. Fox driveshaft is way too short for a 70. You will stil need to shorten the 70 shaft 3/4”.
If using the adapter, you will use the old three speed bellhousing and z-bar linkage. And shorter drive shaft. And a crossmember from MustangSteve.

That's what I did, but I did not have to shorten the drive shaft.  Used an adaptor.  That way I could still use the stock bell housing and clutch linkage.  Much simpler and easier installation than using the later bell housing.  But, make sure the adaptor is properly centered on the flywheel.  Some have a little slop which can give a hard to find vibration.

Test the ds for fit before you start cutting.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/21/2019 5:48 AM  #6

TimC wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reliable source and a quality rebuild kit for the fox era T5?

Hanlon Motorsports:

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Bob will have anything you need.  The complete kit is right around $350 now, but comes with everything that is typically replaced.  Any hard parts (gears, etc.) are sold on an a la carte basis.  OEM stuff is getting scarce, but I've had zero complaints about the aftermarket stuff Bob sells.  It made in India, but the quality of the machining is first rate. 

3/21/2019 5:50 AM  #7

HudginJ3 wrote:

I thought that this subject should be taken out of the "What did you do to your Mustang today" post???

MS----The 94 T5 has a longer input that the more desirable (for retrofit) 93 and earlier. If you don't change out the input shaft, then you have to use the 1994-95 bellhousing, which has the cable entry bracket clocked lower on the driver side. That is great on a 94-95 Mustang, but will very nastily interfere with the power steering lower ram on a 70 Mustang. If you converted to Borgeson box, I think you are OK.
There is not a good cable clutch system available for the 70, so you have to go with the old horse/buggy z-bar or hydraulic. If you use the z-bar, you will have to use a tranny adapter plate instead of the better T5 bellhousing.

MS-----I learned my lesson on used T5’s many years ago. Since then, nothing but brand new or Buzek-built will do. And, honestly, I have had better luck with Buzek-built than the new ones.

TKO------150k miles its definitely time for a rebuild. Personally I'd just change the input shaft to the '85-'93 one. The SN95 bellhousing was a two year only offering, whereas the Fox ones are much easier to find.

T5s take a beating in use. Be prepared to replace the reverse idler gear, the 1/2 slider, and likely the 2nd speed gear at a minimum. I've yet to rebuild a T5 that didn't need at least the first two. The 2nd speed gear takes a beating from hard 1/2 shifts, usually with a factory shifter. Do yourself a favor and get a Pro 5.0.

One trick that is inexpensive to get a T5 a bit more durability is to install a billet countergear rear bearing retainer. This allows you to preload the countergear by 0.003", which eliminates oscillation induced failures common with the stock stamped retainer. The mainshaft should get the same preload. Its not going to magically make the gears stronger, or eliminate mainshaft flex, but it will be better than stock. In the right application it can mean the difference between survival and breakage.

MS. You say I need to change it over to use the shorter input shaft and an adaptor. Won't the adaptor require the longer input shaft? I installed the Borgeson power steering and removed all the hydraulics associated with the power steering except the pump. I was planning on using the Z bar but I sometimes read that it will get in the way of the shorty JBA headers. Do you know if that's correct?

TKO. I thought I would build the tranny myself. I've done a few standard transmissions back in the late 60's and 70's. I'm a little nervous about what I don't know about the T5. Like the parts I should replace vs the parts I need to replace. Is there a manual that you could recommend on the information your are suggesting?

I got the drive shaft out the Mustang that the T5 came out of and put the yoke into my old 3 speed. I also got the AOD driveshaft and it fits into the 3 speed. Knowing that will the existing driveshaft work with the T5 install?

As far as rebuilding them they aren't all that hard.  I have the Tremec service manual, which is all I've ever used to rebuild them (there were no videos or YouTube when I started rebuilding them).  There are a couple tricks, like most things.  Daze and I were talking about them on another thread, let me see if I can track it down and post a link...

3/21/2019 2:26 PM  #8

I couldn't find the post, can't remember what thread it was on, but here's the tips I can remember (FWIW, front, rear, left, right, etc. refer to the orientation with the trans in the car (i.e. input shaft is the front of the trans, output the rear, etc.)):

1.) To get the countergear out of the main case you need to remove at least the cage and rollers from the rear bearing.  I just cut the cage off with a whiz wheel.  On installation you can't get the gear in with the rear bearing installed.  Install the front bearing, then put a steel plate on top of the front bearing race and sit the gear on it to drive or press the rear bearing onto the gear while its in the case.

2.) Put all sliders in neutral before installing the top cover.  The cover will go on from the right side and slide down and towards the left.  Failure to do this will most likely result in the trans being stuck in 5th gear and having to be opened back up again.

3.) Use heavy grease or petroleum jelly to hold the individual rollers in the input shaft on assembly.  The grease will quickly dissolve in ATF, but trying to install the input shaft without it will dump the bearings into the case.

4.) NO NOT under ANY circumstance try to remove the 1/2 slider hub from the mainshaft.  Doing so will turn the mainshaft into junk.  That hub is installed hot on a frozen shaft and effectively locked into place forever.  Pressing it off will distort the hub and the slider will never move over it smoothly again.  1st gear comes off the rear of the mainshaft.  2nd and 3rd come off the front.  There's no need to touch the 1/2 hub if you disassemble the mainshaft correctly. 

5.) Always bench test the trans.  You'll need a shifter to do it right, but run it through each gear, make sure it has each gear, that reverse turns the output shaft in reverse, and that neutral exists between gears.  Its sounds simple, but a lot of guys have failed to do this and ended up having to pull the trans again, when the issue could have easily been found on the bench.

6.) You will need a dial indicator and calipers to sent endplay on the main and countershaft.  A small plate of steel can be either clamped or bolted to the case so a magnetic base can be used with the dial indicator.  Factory specs call for some measure of endplay.  I set both the mainshaft and countergear to 0.003" preload.  You really need to use the billet rear countergear bearing support for this to be meaningful though.  In over 20 years I've yet to see this cause a single problem, and its undoubtedly prevented a lot of failures. 

7.) The same as any disassembly and rebuild make sure to lay out all parts in the order they go on, in the orientation they go on.  There are a couple parts that are a bit counter intuitive as to how they go on.

Any questions feel free to PM me.  I've rebuilt dozens of T5s over the years. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (3/22/2019 3:39 PM)

3/23/2019 9:35 PM  #9

With all the projects I have going on I'll be taking it apart later. I need to clean it before I start. It has engine oil all over it. I've watched 4 of those videos by Paul Cangialosi, doesn't seem like it will be too complicated. He had it apart in two minutes and back together in less than an hour. ;)   Thanks for the offer I'm sure I'll be contacting you TKO.
I've been gathering up everything needed to install it.   ----   So is there a seal of some sort that goes between the transmission and the tunnel to keep the oil and road trash out of the car? I know there is one that goes on the top. Am I going to need to reposition the hole in the floor for the shifter or will the adaptor plate take care of that?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/23/2019 10:08 PM  #10

take a look at Late Model Restoration under their Foxbody section. They list a lower shift boot seal with or without a metal ring that seals the trans tunnel opening around the shifter.  This will keep the crapola and fumes out of the cabin.  They also have t5 rebuild kits along with other t5 parts.....if you need gears or shafts, you'll have to use other sources such as those that have already been mentioned.  LMR has been great to me over the years, free shipping on orders over $49 plus, it's a great Texas company!!

3/24/2019 3:01 AM  #11

This is what I came up with , The rubber boot is a regular T5 shifter cover . Made a metal plate and covered it with two layer of Killmat ,Cut the hole a little small in the killmat sealed the edges with foil tape.

If its worth doing do it right !

3/24/2019 6:48 AM  #12

I watched your posts on your install. You had to enlarge the hole for your shifter to fit. Is that a normal part of the install or did you change something to make you have to do that?  If I need to do that I don't think my consol will fit and the shift lever will be to close to the panel.

3/24/2019 2:18 PM  #13

From what I've read. The shifter sit more foward.if you were to move the motor back 1/2 inch or less it may have cleared .I  just trimmed the tunnel hoop a little. Again this is a T5 .

3/24/2019 2:37 PM  #14

It also depends on the shifter you use.  A stock shifter might clear.  A shifter that won't ruin your transmission (e.g. one with positive stops) is likely not going to fit through the stock hole.  My Pro 5.0 shifter required the hole be enlarged.  I can't say whether or not this would work inside a stock console.  I'll be building my own console anyway for a lot of reasons; the shifter being only one. 

3/24/2019 2:53 PM  #15

I haven't seen a stock shifter.I used a pro 5 and would think the cover is much thicker. But by trimming it I can get to the cover with no problem.

3/24/2019 3:11 PM  #16

I have a stock shifter and did not have to enlarge to opening, nor change the length of the drive shaft..

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/24/2019 4:40 PM  #17

HudginJ3 wrote:

With all the projects I have going on I'll be taking it apart later. I need to clean it before I start. It has engine oil all over it. I've watched 4 of those videos by Paul Cangialosi, doesn't seem like it will be too complicated. He had it apart in two minutes and back together in less than an hour. ;) Thanks for the offer I'm sure I'll be contacting you TKO.
I've been gathering up everything needed to install it. ---- So is there a seal of some sort that goes between the transmission and the tunnel to keep the oil and road trash out of the car? I know there is one that goes on the top. Am I going to need to reposition the hole in the floor for the shifter or will the adaptor plate take care of that?

It took me a lot longer than 2 minutes to dissasemble mine. And many hours to put it back together. I purchased all the parts from www.thegearbox.org. 

I used Dr. Tranny Assemblee Goo to put mine together. 

I used a 1967 ford Mustang shift boot to cover the hole in the trans tunnel.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/25/2019 5:23 PM  #18

I also used the Fox Mustang lower boot to cover the hole.  Its reproduced and commonly available from LMR, etc. 

3/26/2019 9:20 PM  #19

I am not a user of Metric hardware so am not totally familiar with it. I need to know what bolts hold the shifter cover on and what bolts are used to attach the mount to the transmission. They didn't come with it.

3/27/2019 5:42 AM  #20

The shifter bolts are M8x1.25x20mm

The trans mount bolts are M10x1.75x30mm I believe

Grab a set of cleaning taps from Harbor Freight, etc.  They are what I use to determine the proper bolt/nut threads when its unknown.  They come with both metric and standard coarse & fine.  These do it for 99% of the hardware you're going to encounter.  Sometimes you'll get an oddball metric thread pitch that won't work, but very rarely.

3/31/2019 9:10 AM  #21

Got the T5 mostly broken down yesterday. It's not without it's issues. Sorta glad I did it. This Tranny has a synchronize reverse and I am guessing that it was put into reverse at to high of speed. There is a piece with a tang on it that goes into the tail shaft housing casting that is gouged it out and the tang is cracked on both sides of it. The little gear that sits by itself (Reverse??) is ground down pretty good. The gear it goes against looks OK though.?? I haven't disassembled the main shaft yet but I found several pieces of what looks like might have been a shim stuck to the magnet. The synchro frictions are all one piece. The bearings look real good and feel good. I can't get the little gear shaft out. Guess I'll have to destroy the bearing to do that. But I'm wondering why do I need to take it out. The gear shifter paddles(?) are worn to wide according to Canialosi. Is that what the Pro 5.0 is supposed to fix?

3/31/2019 2:23 PM  #22

5th and reverse share the same synchro as I recall. When I went through my T5 I replaced everything except the gears. After 5K miles my 5th gear will sometimes grind if I don't double clutch. Reverse works perfectly. Go figure. I may fix this in the near future.

Replace every bearing and synchro and any worn gears or shift levers. http://www.thegearbox.org has everything under the sun for the T5. I was extreamly happy with their products and help.

Last edited by RV6 (3/31/2019 2:30 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

4/01/2019 4:01 PM  #23

Reverse works by engaging an idler gear which allows the mainshaft to rotate backwards.  The is diving the input shaft, which is driving the countergear, which is driving the idler gear, which is driving the mainshaft.  The mainshaft is being driver by the idler spinning the 1/2 slider.

The small gear that is trashed is likely the reverse idler (inside the maincase off to the side on its own small fork).  If that gear is roached, chances are the 1/2 slider is also torn up.  If the teeth are not crisp and pointy replace the gear and slider.  This occurs from people not putting the trans into 2nd before engaging reverse.  The proper technique is clutch in, shift into 2nd gear, then into reverse, clutch out to move in reverse.  This aligns the 1/2 slider and allows reverse to engage without gear clash.  Failing to do it results in gear clash, and you've seen what that causes. 

Reverse is sometime referred to as synchronized in certain T5s, though its extremely rare, and no Fox era T5s were synchronized in reverse.  Those that were had two brass syncho rings, one on the 5th gear, and one on the other side of the 5th gear slider.  Most T5s have a stamped metal plate there to keep the keys from moving forward, followed by a snap ring.  Those with the two brass rings are considered to be synchronized in reverse, which is frankly absurd, since this slider doesn't have anything to do with reverse, as reverse has its own fork.  Given how reverse is engaged, thee is effectively no way to actually synchronize it. 

The pads on the forks are replaced by the rebuild kit.  The Pro 5.0 shifter prevents you from doing things like say hitting reverse instead of 4th gear, which is likely what caused the damage you are seeing.  The Pro 5.0 also provides positive gear engagement and limit stops to prevent overtravel of the sliders and bending/breaking a shift fork. 

Get a rebuild kit.  There's no point in having it this far apart and not doing a full rebuild. 

The reverse idler gear shaft is removed by driving out its retaining roll pin. 

4/01/2019 7:09 PM  #24

I've got it all apart except the short shaft. I'll get that later. Now that I've had a chance to look at it I'll be getting an overhaul kit. Do I need to look for kits with a certain brand of bearings (Timkin?) or does it matter? I included pictures of what I think is the synchronized reverse and the damage from it to the case and the reverse gear. There is just a few nicks in the gear that it meshes with. Is it OK to weld the tail housing damage or should I look for another one? I also included photos of the paddles (?) that drive the forks. I'm going to change them too. The shinny pieces on the magnet are what look like pieces of a shim. I haven't figured out where thay came from yet. The bearing that is under the cap that is supposed to be shimmed to pre load looks like it might have been spinning and wore into the thick shim. There was thin ones under it so it might have come from there. The bearing races that I have removed so far look like they have been sand blasted.

Last edited by HudginJ3 (4/01/2019 7:23 PM)

4/01/2019 7:33 PM  #25

The OEM bearings in the T5 were actually Koyo, but any common kit is going to have either Koyo, Timken, or SKF; all very good bearings.  A full rebuild kit is going for about $350 right now regardless of source.  One thing most of kits omit is the 1st gear caged needle roller bearing and race.  I always replace that; it adds like $25 to the cost, but its good peace of mind. 

You do indeed have what they refer to as synchronized reverse.  You will likely need to buy an additional 5th gear synchro ring, as mot kits only have 1.  The inner cone should also be replaced, and will need to be purchased separately.

I would smooth out the damage to the tailshaft and reuse it.  It could be welded and remachined, but I don't see any reason to do that.  The damage to me looks like it was caused be someone bolting the tailshaft housing on with the tab on the inner cone for the reverse synchro in the wrong place.  Judging by the damage to the tab and the case I'm 90% sure that's what caused it.  That tab has to be clocked right or the tilshaft housing won't seat fully.  This looks like someone drew it onto the maincase with the bolts and gouged the case while fracturing the tab on the inner cone.  The damage is in a noncritical area.  If the bore was damaged I'd say replace it. 

The fork pads will be included with the rebuild kit. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.