FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2019 7:54 PM  #26

Re: More T-5 questions

That doesn't sound like to bad a deal then on the housing. With your keen eye, I can see what you are talking about. I didn't see the fork pads in the rebuild kits on line. I am having trouble sourcing everything from one place but that's OK. I found a pretty big transmission parts warehouse supplier here in Dallas today that I'll need to check out called Wade.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/02/2019 6:09 PM  #27

Astro has everything:

https://astroperformance.com/product-category/transmission-parts/t-5-5-spd-ford/

Hanlon will too, though their website doesn't show everything; you need to call. 

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/

Those are the two suppliers I primarily use.  Tony at Astro and Bob and Linda at Hanlon all really know the T5 and will make sure you get the right parts the first time. 

4/03/2019 8:23 PM  #28

TKOPerformance wrote:

6.) ...............  You really need to use the billet rear countergear bearing support for this to be meaningful though.  In over 20 years I've yet to see this cause a single problem, and its undoubtedly prevented a lot of failures.  

I haven't disassembled th main shaft yet. But I am defiantly going to major overhaul this train. The bearing that I have removed so far all look like they have been sand blasted. That's enough to convince me.
   I was wondering about the billet counter gear support. The book says to use only the steel billet support and that the aluminum supports are junk and a waste of money cause they don't work. I am only seeing aluminum ones for sale. Is he the only guy that sells steel supports?
   I started to remove the magnet but quit when I stuck the screw driver down ther to dig it out. I looks like it is glued in the recess with RTV. There is a ton of very fine metal flake stuck to it that I have dug out and cleaned off but I can see more that I can't get to. Would you recommend to remove it?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/04/2019 3:11 PM  #29

Every support I've ever installed has been aluminum.  This is what Astro sells in their 575 lbs/ft. gear kits too.  Astro does their own destructive dyno testing, so if they are using them I have to think they are okay.  The guy selling the steel supports saying they're necessary sounds kind of like the guy who developed the mercury free vaccines claiming that the mercury in the vaccines was giving kids autism. 

The magnet is epoxied in place as well as held in with the steel retainer.  You can remove it if needed.  Then just epoxy or RTV it back in place.  Its not going to go anywhere with the steel retainer over it, even if the epoxy or RTV failed. 

4/05/2019 7:13 PM  #30

I hope nobody minds if I sneak in to this everything T5 thread and ask a question...

I'm searching for a 94-95 T5 WC (GT or Cobra) to rebuild and all I'm running in to are the V6 WC trans from that era. Can a V6 WC like the -260 be gutted and stuffed with goodies that would bring it up to the GT WC (-246) model or is the case different between the models? I build everything I run and would prefer to roll (build) my own transmission.

Thanks!

4/05/2019 7:31 PM  #31

The one I got is out of a 94 GT. They are out there, be patience one will show up. Got mine from CL. Seen em on FB Marketplace.

4/05/2019 8:18 PM  #32

HudginJ3 wrote:

The one I got is out of a 94 GT. They are out there, be patience one will show up. Got mine from CL. Seen em on FB Marketplace.

There's one on CL but I can't arrange to get there at the moment (650 mile r/t) and he doesn't want to ship. Others are selling what they claim are GT WC trans but they either have no tag or the tag numbers are for the four popper, V6 or the earlier WC trans.

I know, patience.. I just thought I would see if there was a short cut to what I want.

4/05/2019 10:21 PM  #33

Case is the same...change what needs changing to upgrade it to what you want

4/06/2019 7:10 PM  #34

Thank you for that! I just wanted to make sure that was the case, no pun intended! It gives another option if I choose to exercise it. I have to make a run up to Portland around the 21-23 of this month and am hoping to line something up while I'm there.

4/07/2019 5:33 AM  #35

The case is the same among all WC T5s.  The '94-'98 V6 WC T5s are exactly the same as the '94-''95 GT WC T5s.  Gear ratios, etc. are all the same.  The '99-up V6 WC T5s use a different speedometer setup, which may make a swap harder.  Otherwise, except for the longer input shaft as compared to the Fox era T5s there is no difference, and no reason not to use a V6 WC T5.  You can also swap input shafts for the Fox version to run the more commonly available Fox bellhousing. 

4/07/2019 7:38 PM  #36

Thank you for the extra details, TKO. It turns out that a bit more patience paid off and I have a used -246 transmission on the way. It has less than 120,000 miles on it so hopefully it isn't too thrashed. As far as the V6 models, I was thinking that the ratio differences in 2nd and 3rd were the difference in strength (265 lb/ft vs 300 lb/ft). Is that it or is it something else.

Either way, I'm happy that I'll soon be ripping it apart for some fun!

4/07/2019 8:17 PM  #37

Is there a need to change the speedometer gear on the tail shaft? Or is the driven gear the only one that needs to be changed?

4/08/2019 4:27 AM  #38

351MooseStang wrote:

Thank you for the extra details, TKO. It turns out that a bit more patience paid off and I have a used -246 transmission on the way. It has less than 120,000 miles on it so hopefully it isn't too thrashed. As far as the V6 models, I was thinking that the ratio differences in 2nd and 3rd were the difference in strength (265 lb/ft vs 300 lb/ft). Is that it or is it something else.

Either way, I'm happy that I'll soon be ripping it apart for some fun!

2nd and 3rd has nothing to do with the strength rating of the transmission.  Here's my tirade on the absurdity of how those ratings are determined:

Torque ratings are determined by the manufacturers putting the transmission in 1st gear and then shock loading it with progressive amounts of torque until it fails.  Once it does, the highest load it withstood is determined to be its torque rating.  Boy, is there a whole lot wrong with that.  Really what this test measures is the strength of first gear in an application with perfect traction.  Yeah, because those conditions exist in the real world.  The only transmissions I've ever seen break first gear were drag cars launched on slicks with an aggressive clutch.  I'm talking pull the front wheels on the launch kind of traction.  In the real world so few cars have enough traction or clutch to load 1st gear enough to break it.

So what determines how a transmission does on this test?  Primarily the relative size of the 1st speed gear and its counterpart on the countergear.  The transmission will be strongest when those two gears are approximately the same size.  The larger one gets relative to the other the more likely they will break.  The larger gear applies more leverage to the smaller one, and the contact area on the smaller gear gets smaller, so the applied force goes up considerably with relatively small changes in actual diameter.  Typically the lower the 1st gear ratio the "stronger" the transmission.  This is why a Z spec T5 is rated at 330 lbs/ft. compared to the 300lbs/ft. rating of the factory Fox T5s.  Is simply because it has a 2.95 1st gear instead of a 3.35. 

Like most myths there's a shred of truth to it, in that when the manufacturer does something like say changing the alloy of the steel used for the gears, it does indeed benefit overall strength, and the transmission will do better on the "test".  This is why the early WC T5s were rated at 265 lbs/ft (same as the NWC ones) and the later ones are rated at 300 lbs/ft.  The additional strength observed in the "test" is directly correlated to the additional strength of the steel. 

In the real world, I've never seen a T5 with a broken 1st gear.  3rd gear is the common one, because in 3rd, even most street cars have enough traction to shock load it enough to break, especially on a powershift with an aggressive clutch. 

So how much will a T5 really take?  No one knows, and that's why people get so hung up on the ratings.  They want assurance that the car they built won't break a transmission.  All you can really do is play the likelihood.  A stock T5 in a moderately powerful car is actually at more risk than in a high powered car.  Once traction in 3rd is out the window its unlikely it will break.  I built a Z-spec T5 in a GM case for a guy years ago that runs behind a 383 making over 500HP.  Going on 15 years and its been fine.

Driver skill also makes a big difference, but that's another story...

4/08/2019 4:29 AM  #39

HudginJ3 wrote:

Is there a need to change the speedometer gear on the tail shaft? Or is the driven gear the only one that needs to be changed?

Typically you change the gear on the cable only, BUT there are circumstances where you need to change both.  My advice there is talk to your parts supplier and tell them what gear you have on the mainshaft and what rear gear and tire you are running and they can tell you what you need to do.  If you look at the gear on end you can count the number of teeth; that's what you need to know to get the proper gear to interface with it.  Different tooth count gear should also be different colors.

4/08/2019 4:44 PM  #40

Thank you for that information, TKO. I figured that if anyone knew what was going on with these it would be you.   I figured that the primary 'fuse' in the T5 was the input gearing and your explanation makes sense. While I'm putting this behind a fairly healthy 351W (10.2 to 1, ported C9OE-G heads with larger valves, Edelbrock Performer RPM, late-80's Erson HiFlow II cam, 850 cfm Carter ThermoQuad and Hedman 1-5/8" headers), I am not going to be powershifting or racing with it at all. Spirited driving, yes! But I'm not going to beat on the transmission and this model will fit with a minimum of hassle. If it can't hold up then I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Thanks again!

4/08/2019 6:52 PM  #41

Great posts,Learning alot.

If its worth doing do it right !

4/09/2019 11:42 AM  #42

351MooseStang wrote:

Thank you for that information, TKO. I figured that if anyone knew what was going on with these it would be you.   I figured that the primary 'fuse' in the T5 was the input gearing and your explanation makes sense. While I'm putting this behind a fairly healthy 351W (10.2 to 1, ported C9OE-G heads with larger valves, Edelbrock Performer RPM, late-80's Erson HiFlow II cam, 850 cfm Carter ThermoQuad and Hedman 1-5/8" headers), I am not going to be powershifting or racing with it at all. Spirited driving, yes! But I'm not going to beat on the transmission and this model will fit with a minimum of hassle. If it can't hold up then I'll cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

Thanks again!

My guess is it will be fine.  Be sure to use a Pro 5.0 shifter.  That's another cause of issues with the T5; trying to use the stock shifter.  The lack of positive stops can allow the forks to over travel and bend, followed by breaking and the transmissions ending up stuck in one gear.  The Pro 5.0 provides nice hard stops to prevent fork damage.  It also provides nice firm, positive shifting unlike the stock shifter which feels like a breadstick in a bowl of linguini. 

Otherwise, do the countergear bearing support and set your preload on the mainshaft and countergear at 0.003" and I doubt you'll have an issue. 

4/09/2019 9:14 PM  #43

Thank you again for the info, TKO! I noticed that the 'overshifting' issue and planned on doing exactly as you suggest, same with the countergear support. Although I have rebuilt a few manual transmissions in my past (T-10, Muncie M21, Alfa Spyder and a few other odd ones) my powertrain experience is in marine systems (straight shaft, v-drive, I/O and the like), so I am looking forward to building this trans.

I've done everything else on this car and I'm not about to change that.

4/10/2019 3:58 AM  #44

In my experience manual transmissions are basically all very similar.  If you can remove and install bearings and keep things in the order and orientation they are supposed to have you can do it.  Setting endplay is another step that wasn't necessary on the older transmissions, but that's about it.

4/23/2019 3:41 PM  #45

I got the shorter input shaft for a 1993 T5 and it just occurred to me, is the input shaft bearing retainer the same for both the 1993 and the 1994 T5? Do I need to get one for a 1993.

4/24/2019 3:17 PM  #46

Yes, the retainers are different from the Fox to the SN95. 

4/27/2019 5:36 PM  #47

Well what are ya supposed to do when you can't remember where you placed 1st gear? It's been missing for 4 days now.

4/28/2019 5:36 AM  #48

HudginJ3 wrote:

Well what are ya supposed to do when you can't remember where you placed 1st gear? It's been missing for 4 days now.

Haha..... buy a new one, the old one will suddenly appear!! Been there, done that.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/28/2019 1:50 PM  #49

Do you know how many teeth it had?  If its a 3.35 I might have a spare. 

4/28/2019 4:41 PM  #50

My folks once had a Basset Hound that carried off a cluster gear from one of my '39 Ford transmissions...you got a dog, Doug?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.