FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2019 12:19 PM  #1

Long Neglected 66 Coupe gas tank

Our Long Neglected 66 Coupe gas tank has decided its no good.  I was trying to get it started the other day and no fuel was going to the fuel pump, and what dripped out smelled far worse than a refinery.  I pulled the fuel filler neck and what was inside resembled road tar, turpentine, varnish and cow drippings.

I removed the tank and drained what was left and tried to clean the tank but gave up.  I'm not a fan of boiling a tank and decided to find a decent replacement.

Besides the tank, the fuel sender is toast along with what I suspect is the entire fuel line and fuel pump.  The carb is also ruined  (almost new Holley Street Demon).  Upon disassembly, the floats were not adjusted correctly and the gasket was not in line with the bowl (a common problem with this carb).  The whole inside was tarred brown and gummy.  I may try and resurrect it.

One step forward, a dozen backwards.

So, I'm looking for a gas tank and sender in the Central Texas/ New Braunfels area.  Any suggestions?

3/31/2019 1:56 PM  #2

Re: Long Neglected 66 Coupe gas tank

First:  This thread probably would get better attention if it were posted in the Technical Question forum instead of the Swap Meet.

Second:  How long has this car been sitting?

Third:  Most any of the Mustang parts houses can help you but if you'd like to keep it in the family, so to speak, you can contact Steve's Mustang Parts in Waller, TX,  936-372-0022.  Steve and Glen are FYI Ford Forum guys and are good guys who give excellent service.  Right now they are dealing with a health issue so leave a message and they'll get back to you.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/06/2019 9:21 PM  #3

If you’re in New Braunfels, there is a Mustang parts place in Spring Branch called Mustang Mania. He use to be in Katy but moved to CenTex several years ago.  Owner is Russell.  Lookup mustangmania.com

4/07/2019 5:11 PM  #4

If it's an oem sending unit, you might try to save it.   I managed to save one by soaking it overnight in 
Evaporust.   I used pipe cleaners in the tube and rinsed and soaked again.    Eventually it began to work
and register ohms.   It's in the car now and works great.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.