FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2019 7:54 AM  #1

Granada disk brake to early mustangs conversion

Will the Granada suspension work as well?

Last edited by daily driver (4/23/2019 7:55 AM)

4/24/2019 9:25 PM  #2

Re: Granada disk brake to early mustangs conversion

What year car? I know that the front brakes, hubs and spindles will bolt directly into a 68, as that is what I have on mine. I think that there is a bump steer issue using them in the 65-66. Let MS or someone else step in to clarify that. Not sure if any other suspension stuff will fit.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/24/2019 9:32 PM  #3

If you set it up correctly they can be made to work on a 65-66 (I had them on my 64.5 for years) HOWEVER the geometry is not correct and it is not recommended.  It is a direct bolt in and will work without issue on 67-73 Mustangs.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/26/2019 7:01 AM  #4

The suspension components will not work. The Granada suspension is basically the same as the 67 & later Mustang. The upper arms while still the same length as the 65/66, they are wider. The lower arms are longerand the steering components are different to match the different pivot points on the suspension.

One of the issues with all Mustang suspensions is that they have a lot of travel, probably to the point of being excessive. As the suspension compresses the tires toe out and under extension toe in. You end up with a huge change in toe from one extreme to the other. The problem with the Granada spindle, like the later Mustang spindle is once the suspension is lowered and toe set to the normal spec, you’re toe in range is extreme. The Granada spindle geometry only agrivates it as the tie rod arms are shorter, less offset and angled in more. Under general cruising it’s not to bad but once the suspension starts to cycle it becomes a issue. Yes you can do things to improve it but not totally fix it.

Granada brakes became very popular swap at a time when there really weren’t too many aftermarket disc brake kits. The ones available were expensive and even by today’s dollar still expensive. Granadas all had disc brakes, a lot of Granada were made and they started to show up in junk yards by the drove. They were cheap and plentiful. Today we have a lot of good inexpensive reproduction factory disc brakes available that are a Saturday afternoon installation. It makes a tough case not to use them.

I’m running 72 disc brakes on my 66 only because I paid $25 for them and I had a new set of rotors on my garage shelf for a couple years. I understood the geometry issues and have addressed them. It drives pretty well. If I wasn’t aware of these problems or how to address them it would be very frustrating. Do yourself a favor and buy a 65/67 KH 4 piston repro kit. Excellent brakes even by today’s standards.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

4/27/2019 9:43 AM  #5

I have 08 discs on the front of my 66 using the MustangSteve brackets. I went with that set up mostly because of availability of parts. I ran it with rear drums for a few years and it worked flawless. I recently converted the rear to '17 discs. All Ford parts readily available at any parts store anywhere.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/29/2019 11:59 AM  #6

There are a multitude of bumpsteer kits on the market. Careful combining it with R&P steering; geometry way off. Pro-Motorsports kit (best solution) no longer available. Found a vendor whose kit relocates the rack higher up (near oil pan) and rearward to correct bumpsteer.

BTW, auto-correct changes "bumpsteer" to "dumpster". That's funny on many levels...

Last edited by Prof (4/29/2019 12:01 PM)

5/05/2019 2:55 PM  #7

I just don't think any bumpsteer kit will help a Granada spindle on a 65-66 Mustang.  The issue is the ackerman angle built into the spindles is wrong for the car.

CSRP makes a Granada spindle with correct geometry for 65/66.  That is about the only way to cure the problem.

If the 65/66 in question happens to have six cylinder linkage (tie rods, adjusting sleeves, center link, idler and pitman arms) there is NO HOPE of any V8 spindle steering correctly without a ton of bumpsteer,even 65/66 V8 spindles. The 67 and later spindles really make the car handle weird.   I know a lot of cars have been modified in this way and apparently steer satisfactorily to their owners, but that is rare and is a result of a particular wheel size and offset and tire size.  It seems, the more HP exists, the lower the car is, the bigger the wheels, and the more aggressive the car is driven, the bigger the complaints of erratic handling.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.