FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2019 12:15 PM  #1

Cooling done, another hot issue, plus can't upload pics

Would show ya the new rad/fan/shroud setup but tinypic on strike. I've tried a few times, but will have to just say...f___ it.

TKO should be happy...stayed w/ electric fan. Temps look great as well as the actual setup.

Time to register the beast, so I looked at the Vin #s. Since it's an out of state car, I know the AAA gals will be looking at them & I expect probs. They'll refer me to the CHPies who will want to look at the hidden locations.

Only the last 4-5 #s are faintly visible on the drivers side top fender location. They're covered by the gold paint, plus look lightly stamped. Sure don't want anyone removing the paint. From researching, it seems the hidden #s are under the top of the front fender junctions by the hood hinges . I don't want the CHPies prying those apart to have a look-see. Can't see anything under the fenders through the wheel-well. It's undercoated. Don't know if removing that would make the #s visible. The door stamp is OK, but it doesn't really count in this case.

Got any ideas to might help me out of this quagmire?

5/01/2019 1:47 PM  #2

Re: Cooling done, another hot issue, plus can't upload pics

Well, you can remove the right fender thus making the Vin on the right inner fender visible or you can very carefully remove the paint over the vin on the left inner fender.  I can think of a couple of ways to do that and not have it too ugly.  Far as I know...especially in CA, you are going to have to have a stamped vin visible for inspection. 
If you have a proper door tag you might try it.  Maybe you get lucky and a car-guy does the inspection and is happy with the matching door tag and the last five visible on the left fender.....maybe.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/01/2019 2:26 PM  #3

Thanks for the ideas BB.
When u say remove the right fender, do u mean take the entire fender off? Would loosening the bolts that hold the inner outer parts together allow the # to be seen w/ a light? Could that be done w/o screwing up the paint?

What are u'r ideas about removing the paint on the drivers side fender? The stamping seems so faint, that I'm afraid that after doing that, it still wouldn't allow the entire vin to be visible.

As u said, maybe the auto club would be satisfied w/ the partial vin that is visible & the door plate. If it goes to the CHP, they're kinda predisposed to be looking for stolen cars, I doubt it would be enough to satisfy them. I do have a Get-Outta-Jail-Free card, but they could still be suspicious about the car, not necessarily it's owner. I have no fear that the car is dicey, but would rather not have to take it apart.

5/01/2019 4:20 PM  #4

Here's the 3 vin locations. 
Try carefully removing the top fender bolts and gently pulling the fender back. Sometimes the vin stamp on the top inner fender will be revealed w/o having to remove the fender.  
The visible vin may as you state be lightly stamped or has a build up of paint.  Might be simply worth carefully removing some of the paint until all vin digits are visible.
Here' s a pic to show you the vin locations....

5/01/2019 4:21 PM  #5

Here's the 3 vin locations. 
Try carefully removing the top fender bolts and gently pulling the fender back. Sometimes the vin stamp on the top inner fender will be revealed w/o having to remove the fender.  
The visible vin may as you state be lightly stamped or has a build up of paint.  Might be simply worth carefully removing some of the paint until all vin digits are visible.
Here' s a pic to show you the vin locations....

5/01/2019 6:44 PM  #6

Mucho Thanks JK. Sounds scary to "pull the fender back".

Before trying it, lemme get me facts straight...remove all the top bolts running from firewall to front, then pull the fender towards the outside...is that correct?

The engine compartment looks so pretty, I'm afraid if I remove the paint on the drivers side I'll be left w/ an eyesore.

Nice frame, btw....don't take that the wrong way...I'm straight as an arrow...really.

Last edited by Good Look'n (5/01/2019 6:46 PM)

5/01/2019 11:32 PM  #7

Good Look'n wrote:

Time to register the beast, so I looked at the Vin #s. Since it's an out of state car, I know the AAA gals will be looking at them & I expect probs. They'll refer me to the CHPies who will want to look at the hidden locations.

Got any ideas to might help me out of this quagmire?

Peter, any California copper can do a Verification of Vehicle (Reg31) form. Shirley you gotta know a copper or two.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/02/2019 9:10 AM  #8

RPM....
gezz, am I a  d__b s___t  or what?.....I thought the CHPies had to do it....thanks...

"I am serious and don't call me Shirley."

Hey...tinypic decided to play nice this morning..here's the new cooling solution...took a spin around the hood........ dialed in when the fan comes on & temps are Good Look'n!

Had to do a few mods as the Scott Drake fan/shroud is made for their rad not my Dewitt. I also cut off every other plastic fan guard...don't know if that relieved much back pressure, but thought I'd try it anyway

Here u can see how lightly the vin shows on the drivers side.

This is for BB...he said my garage was too clean & tidy...on the rare occasions  when I do actually work on the oldies, it does look like this or worse. Trouble is that I can't sleep at night because it is in this....the German in me demands ORDER!

btw...had to change a tire valve
stem on the MuttiMobile.

PLUS...with your purchase u also receive free of charge, a closer look at one of my wall funnies!

Last edited by Good Look'n (5/02/2019 9:41 AM)

5/02/2019 9:20 AM  #9

Oh stop!!!  You are just spreading some stuff around to make it look like a real "work" shop.  I still say it's too clean to be used for any real car work...LOL.

As for your Vin problem, if you ever need to make that area of the left front visible, I would suggest you very carefully mask around the area tight to the number.  Then VERRRRY carefully apply Aircraft stripper until you get through all the paint, etc.  Then shoot the number with satin black and either be happy or make a small removable plate...maybe engine-turned aluminum... to cover the area. 
Yeah, I know, butt (TS&T), it's a suggestion.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/02/2019 9:22 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/02/2019 9:50 AM  #10

Bullet Bob wrote:

Oh stop!!!  You are just spreading some stuff around to make it look like a real "work" shop.  I still say it's too clean to be used for any real car work..............snip........

Damn it all!...I hate it when my subterfuge doesn't work!  The funny part is that it will take longer to clean it up than the time it took to do the car work.

Good idea on the vin stuff...but that is definitely Plan C.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.