FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2019 4:15 PM  #1

TMI Sport R cushions and upholstery suck, IMHO.

Months ago I ordered the TMI Sport R components to recover my original frames in the 67. I had put new covers on the front seats 30 years ago over the original foam. Needless to say, the foam needed replacing even though the covers looked great. 

So what better time to upgrade the seats than now. So the covers finally showed up and 4 days before leaving for the Bash the wife and I installed all the new TMI stuff on the old frames. They look super. 

The TMI seats suck large time! That is my opinion as Carolyn likes hers. When I sit in the drivers seat it's like stuffing my large self in a B-17 Ball Turret and the seat is not comfortable. I have to adjust the seat back to gain headroom and I don't like sitting in a lounge chair while driving. Entry and egress is difficult too. I really dislike driving the car now. Did I mention I loathe the TMI Sport R seats?

My first thoughts were to cut down the seat pans and extend the seat tracks, but I would still have an uncomfortable seat. Today I thought about ordering original foam and covers and recover the the drivers seat while leaving Carolyn's alone. I'm leaning towards that solution.

Fox body seats are a possibility but I don't want to waste money and find the seats cause me to sit higher and closer to the wheel. 

I was actually happy with my old seats. I wish I could have them back.

Needless to say, I am frustrated at spending the $$ on a failed project. 

If I revert to the original style seats I'll offer the slightly used TMI foam and covers to the lowest bidder.

Last edited by RV6 (7/01/2019 4:48 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

7/01/2019 4:50 PM  #2

Re: TMI Sport R cushions and upholstery suck, IMHO.

Just curious Gary, did you mean you will offer the TMI stuff to the highest bidder?  If not, I bid $.01.  Just kidding.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

7/01/2019 6:44 PM  #3

I considered recovering my original frames with the TMI stuff, but in the end, with the back of my driver's seat frame broken I just decided to buy whole new seats from TMI.  I'm quite happy with them.  I changed because my originals, for me, were not comfortable, especially on long trips.  The new seats are much more supportive and less fatiguing on long trips.  That said, I fit in the seats well.  Typically a highly bolstered seat is going to be sized based on waist measurement like a real race seat.  None however are not sized right for those above a 40" waist from my experience.  The set I put in my IROC were quite uncomfortable when I was considerably larger than I am now. 

7/01/2019 6:58 PM  #4

TKOPerformance wrote:

I considered recovering my original frames with the TMI stuff, but in the end, with the back of my driver's seat frame broken I just decided to buy whole new seats from TMI.  I'm quite happy with them.  I changed because my originals, for me, were not comfortable, especially on long trips.  The new seats are much more supportive and less fatiguing on long trips.  That said, I fit in the seats well.  Typically a highly bolstered seat is going to be sized based on waist measurement like a real race seat.  None however are not sized right for those above a 40" waist from my experience.  The set I put in my IROC were quite uncomfortable when I was considerably larger than I am now. 

This post is useless without pictures!!!!!

What DO you look like?!
6sal6 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/01/2019 7:18 PM  #5

Do ya have a change for a penny Gary?🤪

7/01/2019 7:55 PM  #6

I like my 2005 seats with head rests. With the seat pans lowered, old foam and upholstery, the head room was OK. With new foam and upholstery, I lost about an inch of headroom. It sits kinda tall, but I can still see out of the mirrors, especially after you showed me how to adjust them.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/01/2019 8:52 PM  #7

After sitting in Steve Buzek's 67 fastback at the Bash, I believe he has the prefect solution for seating of us larger type folks. He has 2014 Mustang seats with 1965 tracks, 69 seat pan and a one piece MTF headliner. I'm 6' 2" and have 5 inches of headroom in that cool 67.

I had plenty of room in MS's 66, but forgot which year Mustang seats he used and didn't measure headroom.

Do it right, do it once.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/02/2019 6:04 AM  #8

Wow I still have original 1966 seats with new covers and stock foam and I can take longer trip in the 66 than in the 06 mustang,  I must just still be living in the past.

7/02/2019 9:35 AM  #9

Jim Bowie wrote:

Wow I still have original 1966 seats with new covers and stock foam and I can take longer trip in the 66 than in the 06 mustang,  I must just still be living in the past.

No, the seats have just molded to fit you perfectly over the years

7/02/2019 9:37 AM  #10

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

This post is useless without pictures!!!!!

What DO you look like?!
6sal6 

Like Christian Bale if he didn't have a personal trainer and occasionally ate pizza and drank a few beers.  Least that's what they tell me...

7/02/2019 9:38 AM  #11

Yeah..........Like Homer Simpson, you just have a nice "butt-groove" formed in your bucket seats Jim!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/02/2019 10:20 AM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

Yeah..........Like Homer Simpson, you just have a nice "butt-groove" formed in your bucket seats Jim!
6sal6

It must be all them miles I put on it

7/02/2019 11:50 AM  #13

rpm wrote:

After sitting in Steve Buzek's 67 fastback at the Bash, I believe he has the prefect solution for seating of us larger type folks. He has 2014 Mustang seats with 1965 tracks, 69 seat pan and a one piece MTF headliner. I'm 6' 2" and have 5 inches of headroom in that cool 67.

I had plenty of room in MS's 66, but forgot which year Mustang seats he used and didn't measure headroom.

Do it right, do it once.

I too have sat in Steve's Buzek's Fastback and really like those seats. There seems to be plenty of room. I don't recall what he has for a steering column. I did not go that route as I did not want to drop/change the seat pans. 

7/02/2019 12:34 PM  #14

Then skip the 69 seat riser as it accounts for only 1 inch of drop. The headliner and late model seats get you the majority of the headroom.

In my 69 I've got 3-1/2" of headroom using the one piece MTF headliner and 2006 Audi A4 seats.

If I you, I'd try late model seats first. I bet they'll do you right.

7/03/2019 9:55 AM  #15

Don had to replace his after a couple of years due to totally collapsed foam. Care to offer an opinion, Don?

I am real happy with my Scat Procar Sports seats. Both front seats in entirety were only $600

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/03/2019 10:54 AM  #16

rpm wrote:

Then skip the 69 seat riser as it accounts for only 1 inch of drop. The headliner and late model seats get you the majority of the headroom.

In my 69 I've got 3-1/2" of headroom using the one piece MTF headliner and 2006 Audi A4 seats.

I'll keep looking for a decent set of late model seats. The Sport R's boosted me to within 1.5"  of the stock (original) headliner. I have to duck to look out the windows which really sucks. The seats would be great if I was Nos681's size, but I'm not. 

I went with the Sport R seat conversion as a quick fix. The cost was a lot more than I anticipated only to find out they are not for me.

Anybody have a set of decent late model seats collecting dust? Black in color please.

7/07/2019 8:50 PM  #17

If you want comfortable seats with a classic look and a good price then look into using Fiero seats.  I have them in my 65 FB and couldn't be happier.  They sit almost as low as the originals and the seat tracks only required a bit of welding to line up with the stock holes in the pan.  Covered mine with an upholstery kit from Mr. Mike: http://mrmikes.com/fierohome.htm.  Also see his gallery: http://mrmikes.com/ponycars.htm.

I would have posted a picture or two but the upload button isn't showing up now - maybe later.

Last edited by jkordzi (7/07/2019 8:50 PM)

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

7/08/2019 5:11 AM  #18

RV6 wrote:

rpm wrote:

I'll keep looking for a decent set of late model seats. The Sport R's boosted me to within 1.5"  of the stock (original) headliner. I have to duck to look out the windows which really sucks. The seats would be great if I was Nos681's size, but I'm not. 

I went with the Sport R seat conversion as a quick fix. The cost was a lot more than I anticipated only to find out they are not for me.

Anybody have a set of decent late model seats collecting dust? Black in color please.

Ahhhh the advantages of being vertically challenged!!😁

7/08/2019 9:36 AM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

Ahhhh the advantages of being vertically challenged!!😁

You got that right! A couple of my favorite benefits you enjoy are, never hitting your head on the roof of a car or golf cart when entering, and mucho leg room in an airplane.

7/08/2019 10:14 AM  #20

Are you measuring distance from roof to your hair?

7/08/2019 4:58 PM  #21

Nos681 wrote:

Are you measuring distance from roof to your hair?

Which hair? The hair in my nose, ears,  back??? No, the measurement is from the top off my head, just above the follicle where you start to see the grey color.

7/09/2019 10:13 AM  #22

I traveled to a Recaro seat dealer in Berkeley CA.

You can get brand new Recaro seats (simple ones) for less than 1K each.  I know that isn’t cheap, but comfort is worth it for me.  I’ll live off of chicken and frozen vegetables for a few months to make up for it...

It was nice to be able to sit in all of the Recaro seats and see what they were all like.  Most of the models have a really low profile base that does not cause headroom issues.  Once I quit bleeding money on paint I’m going to get a pair of Recaro Experts for my car.

7/09/2019 12:59 PM  #23

Bentworker wrote:

I traveled to a Recaro seat dealer in Berkeley CA.

You can get brand new Recaro seats (simple ones) for less than 1K each. I know that isn’t cheap, but comfort is worth it for me. I’ll live off of chicken and frozen vegetables for a few months to make up for it...

It was nice to be able to sit in all of the Recaro seats and see what they were all like. Most of the models have a really low profile base that does not cause headroom issues. Once I quit bleeding money on paint I’m going to get a pair of Recaro Experts for my car.

I love my Recaro's.  I installed them around 1983 and they're still going strong. 

In those days I was driving 30k-40k miles each year, so having really comfortable seats was a must.  The driver side has been re covered a couple of times.  Mounting is easy - an 'H' shaped bracket bolts to the existing seat mounting holes.  4 - 7/16" bolts do the mounting right under the seat. Easy to get at.  The seat has 4 tabs underneath, 2 front, 2 back, each with 3 holes.  That way you can adjust the front-back tip to your liking.  I can pull a seat in less that 10 minutes.  Great for extra room for working under the dash.

I have taken it on long drives and even after 3-4 hours my legs are not sore or stiff.  They're expensive, but what price comfort?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

7/10/2019 6:03 PM  #24

TKOPerformance wrote:

What model of TMI seats did you get? I'm at the point in this project where i need to figure out which way to go. My stock '69 Mach1 seats are toast, bent and sagging badly and I plan on driving the car a lot so I need something comfortable. TMI seats are sold everywhere so they must be decent but without finding a car with them installed I have no way of knowing how they feel. Sounds like you are happy with yours.
thanks

'69 Mach 1, 351w, c4. Made for driving.....Is it done yet?

7/10/2019 10:31 PM  #25

This is good stuff to know.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.