FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2019 12:47 AM  #26

Re: TMI Sport R cushions and upholstery suck, IMHO.

69m1 wrote:

. TMI seats are sold everywhere so they must be decent...

I wouldn't use that as a litmus test.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/11/2019 12:58 AM  #27

rpm wrote:

69m1 wrote:

. TMI seats are sold everywhere so they must be decent...

I wouldn't use that as a litmus test.

Just like everything on internet is true.

7/11/2019 7:06 AM  #28

69m1 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I considered recovering my original frames with the TMI stuff, but in the end, with the back of my driver's seat frame broken I just decided to buy whole new seats from TMI.  I'm quite happy with them.  I changed because my originals, for me, were not comfortable, especially on long trips.  The new seats are much more supportive and less fatiguing on long trips.  That said, I fit in the seats well.  Typically a highly bolstered seat is going to be sized based on waist measurement like a real race seat.  None however are not sized right for those above a 40" waist from my experience.  The set I put in my IROC were quite uncomfortable when I was considerably larger than I am now. 

What model of TMI seats did you get? I'm at the point in this project where i need to figure out which way to go. My stock '69 Mach1 seats are toast, bent and sagging badly and I plan on driving the car a lot so I need something comfortable. TMI seats are sold everywhere so they must be decent but without finding a car with them installed I have no way of knowing how they feel. Sounds like you are happy with yours.
thanks

These are the ones I have more or less.  The upholstery style looks a bit different, but could just be the picture, or maybe they've made some minor changes since I bought mine.  The general shape, etc. is exactly the same as what I have though.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/pro-series-universal-sport-low-back-seats-w-headrest/

7/11/2019 5:51 PM  #29

TKOPerformance wrote:

69m1 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I considered recovering my original frames with the TMI stuff, but in the end, with the back of my driver's seat frame broken I just decided to buy whole new seats from TMI.  I'm quite happy with them.  I changed because my originals, for me, were not comfortable, especially on long trips.  The new seats are much more supportive and less fatiguing on long trips.  That said, I fit in the seats well.  Typically a highly bolstered seat is going to be sized based on waist measurement like a real race seat.  None however are not sized right for those above a 40" waist from my experience.  The set I put in my IROC were quite uncomfortable when I was considerably larger than I am now. 

What model of TMI seats did you get? I'm at the point in this project where i need to figure out which way to go. My stock '69 Mach1 seats are toast, bent and sagging badly and I plan on driving the car a lot so I need something comfortable. TMI seats are sold everywhere so they must be decent but without finding a car with them installed I have no way of knowing how they feel. Sounds like you are happy with yours.
thanks

These are the ones I have more or less.  The upholstery style looks a bit different, but could just be the picture, or maybe they've made some minor changes since I bought mine.  The general shape, etc. is exactly the same as what I have though.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/pro-series-universal-sport-low-back-seats-w-headrest/

How high do those seats sit compared to stock?  I have a like new set of ‘06 leather front seats that I picked up for my 64.5 vert but think they may sit too high (although I haven’t  tried them out yet to confirm). If they are too high, I’m struggling with either recovering the originals or picking up the TMI seats you have.

7/11/2019 8:51 PM  #30

I wasn't going to chime in here because the subject has come up a number of times over the last few years, butt (TS&T), I just gotta say.....The Fox seats are reasonably priced and with new foam and covers from TMI plus a couple of additional springs in the seat cushion they fit my bucket just fine.  The bolsters aren't stupid big but are you really goin' road racing?  They seem to give good support and Jean and I have driven over 550 miles in a day at least twice.  When I asked how she was doing after such a long day in the Heap her comment was, "well, it's really no worse than anything else for that long of a drive."   High praise in my book,  
Most of the aftermarket seats I see have extreme bolsters for normal long highway, wide bottom, cruising.  The Fox seats recline and they have a power lumbar bladder which really helps fight fatigue on a long trip.  

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (7/11/2019 8:55 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/11/2019 9:12 PM  #31

I like the Fox seats and think they’re a great option, I just can’t seem to find any locally.

7/12/2019 5:32 AM  #32

Chaplin wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

69m1 wrote:

thanks

How high do those seats sit compared to stock? I have a like new set of ‘06 leather front seats that I picked up for my 64.5 vert but think they may sit too high (although I haven’t tried them out yet to confirm). If they are too high, I’m struggling with either recovering the originals or picking up the TMI seats you have.

Its tough to say, because my stock seats were so worn out I felt like I was sitting on the floorpan before.  I don't feel like they added a ton of height though.  The tracks are the size height, and the adapter bracket is only about 1/4" thick.  You have to get over the bolsters, which are higher than s stock seat without them, but I would bet the bottom cushions, once you are seated aren't any higher.  Obviously they are taller due to the headrests.  I fit fine in the car, but I'm also only 5'10" tall, though I have a fairly long torso, because at that height my inseam is only 30".  Getting into and out of the Mustang always seems a bit tricky for me anyway, but that's because I'm not used to getting down into a car; I'm used to stepping up into a truck, because that's what I drive every day.

7/12/2019 7:46 AM  #33

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the late model seats if I can find a pair of black leather locally. In the meantime I decided I would yank the drivers seat, install new foam and put the old cover back on. Now where did I put the old seat covers? Keyrap, I already tossed them.
I calmed down and ordered new foam and covers for the old seats and will recover the drivers butt holder.
Come winter I will have forgot about how much I spent on this disaster.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

7/12/2019 7:11 PM  #34

TKOPerformance wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

How high do those seats sit compared to stock? I have a like new set of ‘06 leather front seats that I picked up for my 64.5 vert but think they may sit too high (although I haven’t tried them out yet to confirm). If they are too high, I’m struggling with either recovering the originals or picking up the TMI seats you have.

Its tough to say, because my stock seats were so worn out I felt like I was sitting on the floorpan before.  I don't feel like they added a ton of height though.  The tracks are the size height, and the adapter bracket is only about 1/4" thick.  You have to get over the bolsters, which are higher than s stock seat without them, but I would bet the bottom cushions, once you are seated aren't any higher.  Obviously they are taller due to the headrests.  I fit fine in the car, but I'm also only 5'10" tall, though I have a fairly long torso, because at that height my inseam is only 30".  Getting into and out of the Mustang always seems a bit tricky for me anyway, but that's because I'm not used to getting down into a car; I'm used to stepping up into a truck, because that's what I drive every day.

Thanks. Sounds like we’re roughly about the same stature. If my ‘06 seats sit too high, I’ll give these a look.

7/13/2019 9:55 AM  #35

For anybody who might be thinking about Recaro seats...

Recaro sells their seats with two different bases.  “S” and “M”

The “S” seat bases have very prominent bolsters, and are more for someone who wants a really snug fit.  Personally I think they look cool, but there is no way I will ever have them in my car since I’m a little over 6’ and normally just under 200 pounds.  Some of the new Fords that are coming out with Recaro seats (Mustang, Fiesta ST) seem to have the “S” style base.  I went and looked at a Fiesta ST that had Recaros and walked away since they were a little much for a daily driver.

That being said...

The “M” bases have much flatter bolsters and are what I would consider for a daily driver.  The compromise for my car is going to be Recaro Experts with “M” bases.  The seat back on the Experts have really prominent side bolsters- but they are adjustable in width using a knob.  Widen it up for some wiggle room on a road trip- narrow it up for spirited driving.

7/13/2019 1:48 PM  #36

Installed the TMI Sport II seats in my 65 last year.  A little pricey but they look and feel great.

7/17/2019 5:06 PM  #37

Update: Nothing earth shattering, but I did order one new set of foam and new covers for the original 67 seats. The plan is to recover the drivers seat so I can again like driving my Mustang.

I also found a pair (sold separately) of 2010 black leather GT/CS seats on Car-Part.com and they are heading to the house today. They wanted more than I wanted to pay and I finally talked the parts place into free shipping If I payed his price. Good enough for me. 

So a week will pass before the seats get here and I wonder what I should do. I could send the foam and covers back to NPD, install the new-to-me 2010 seats and sell the complete TMI Sport seats (sans mounts) to someone smaller than I. 

So here is my options. (advise appreciated)
1. recover the drivers seat with new 1967 specific foam and covers. Drive it till winter.
2. Chuck the 67 seats and install the 2010 seats and see how I fit. Sell the complete TMI R seats to a smaller person. 
3. Do #1 and come this winter install 69 seat pans and the 2010 seats.

7/17/2019 5:21 PM  #38

I wish they were high backs. TMI takes 10 WEEKS to ship their Mach 1 seats.
Ridiculous. 

'69 Mach 1, 351w, c4. Made for driving.....Is it done yet?

7/17/2019 6:37 PM  #39

Do option 4. Sent me the 2010 seats and recover your seats.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/18/2019 11:18 AM  #40

I say send the foam and covers back to NPD. Mount the seat tracks from the 67 seats on the 2010 seats and try them out in the car. Then when winter comes, install the 69 seat pans. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/18/2019 2:11 PM  #41

Bolted to Floor wrote:

I say send the foam and covers back to NPD. Mount the seat tracks from the 67 seats on the 2010 seats and try them out in the car. Then when winter comes, install the 69 seat pans. 

I'm with Bolted.  Given the options that's the one I'd choose. 

AND, TMI took fairly long to get my seats to me as well, 10 weeks sounds like a lot, might have been more like 8, but it was a while.  I believe the complete seats are actually built to order, and that's why they take so long. 

7/18/2019 4:06 PM  #42

rpm wrote:

Do option 4. Sent me the 2010 seats and recover your seats.

Why didn't I think of option 4? 

7/18/2019 4:08 PM  #43

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Me thinks that's a great idea. The new seats are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

7/18/2019 5:14 PM  #44

Oh yea, the TMI upholstery I ordered took about 10 weeks to get here also. I was charged a cut fee for cutting the parchment color for early cars to fit the 2005 seats. The cut fee explanation sounded good to the sales rep, but didn’t make logical sense to me!!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/19/2019 5:05 AM  #45

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Oh yea, the TMI upholstery I ordered took about 10 weeks to get here also. I was charged a cut fee for cutting the parchment color for early cars to fit the 2005 seats. The cut fee explanation sounded good to the sales rep, but didn’t make logical sense to me!!!

Yeah, sounds like at the least they could have worded that better.  In my industry I would tell people there are two standard colors, others are available, but are non stock and there will be a cost impact.  Its 100% true, and all I'm doing is passing on my cost to them, but I think if I told them that their boards were 14' and standard is 16' and I had to charge them a fee to cut them they would both look at me like I'm an idiot and not sign a contract with me. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.