| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
I am having a heck of a time with my turn signals. I have a '68 coupe that I am trying to upgrade the lighing systems. Added LED tail/brake lights, Halo halogen headlights, new LED parking lights, new TS switch, new LED flasher. Upon replacing all of the wires one by one in the old TS connector for the new switch, I have 3 extra wires (brown, yellow/red, and red). I understand the brown and yellow/red are not used in the mustang switch, but the red also has no home. On the wiring diagram, it is listed as splice where the red could go, but there is no wire on the firewall side of the connector to splice to. I could spend a day of trial and error but I figured this isn't the first time someone has run across this.
Offline
Let me see if I am following you correctly. New turn switch, new wires down the steering column. You are trying to put new wires into old connector. From what I can see on a 68 Mustang wiring diagram there is no red wire in the turn signal switch. What does the other end of the wire connect to, is it being used for anything? Have you tried pluging everything in to see if something is not working?
That's correct, there is no red wire on the diagram, but there is a red wire coming down the steering column in the new switch. Previous owner had cut a wire on the firewall side of the old connector and left a red wire stub hanging there, so I am pretty sure at one time there was a red wire that was integral to the system (regardless of diagram). I am thinking of tie-ing the red wire into a hot source and see what that does, but since everything is on LED now, I'm a little leery of overloading the switch with power.
Offline
Martin th be thing to do would be to follow the red wire out and see what it is connected to. Maybe follow if out with an ohm meter. It would be good to know what you are connecting up. But if curiosity get the better of you,and you decide to jumper the red wire to positive, make a jumper up with a fuse in the center. Use something like a 2 or 5 amp fuse, LED's don't draw much power. You could use this as a test jumper to see what will happen.
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |