FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2019 6:03 AM  #1

Mustang got pretty hot yesterday... disheartened .. need help

It’s been a thing I’ve been fighting for a long while now .. I thought honestly I had it under control, but I guess not ... yesterday , the feels like temperature was 105+ and I was coming home from Work, had taken the stang out .. with AC on, the car crept up to 210-215 on a red light. All in city driving stop and go.

Turn the AC off , and you’d see the temperature start to drop slowly ..

Electric fan setup is working perfectly , aluminum 3 row radiator .. hiflow water pump... 50-50 coolant . 180* tstat ..

But my 302 just can’t seem to get past this heating issue. It really is dependent on ambient temperature .. if it’s 90 or under , I never see this issue. It never goes over 195-200 with AC on..

I got it home , and while the needle was where it showed , I put a laser temp gauge to check the temp ..

At the sensor (opposite side of tstat) it was 215-220. At the tstat It was like 195-200..

I get the car bucking a bit so obviously the engine was not happy at that, I could Tell from the thrttle
Response that it was too much for it. I am at a loss here ... seriously ... pride is hurt and I need help ..

Last edited by Gaba (8/01/2019 6:15 AM)

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

8/01/2019 7:05 AM  #2

Re: Mustang got pretty hot yesterday... disheartened .. need help

210 or 215 is not engine threatening and the poor running has a lot to do with heat in the carb and the lousy gas we have today (fuel injection takes care of this in most cases).  I did some reading and some suggest checking the spacing between your A/C condenser and the radiator.  Many suggest 1/4 to 1/2" to reduce turbulence between the condenser and the radiator ensuring better air flow.  If your's is 1" or over this could be a contributing factor when you are depending on the fan pulling air rather than air flow at speed.

Your symptoms are not much different than what people experienced in 66 with new Mustangs and you have identified one solution - turn off the A/C.  It is hard to get modern car performance in an older car.

Can't remember - have you installed a wider radiator or are you still running stock width?  Apparently the performance of the wider radiator introduced in 67 was a night and day difference compared to the 65/66.

One other consideration/concern is that if you are only using the in-radiator cooler for your AOD, you may be running your trans oil temperatures too high.  160 to 180 is on the top end depending on who you talk to.  If the radiator is your only cooling source, at some point, the trans oil temps go high which makes the radiator run hotter.  I found this out the hard way a few weeks ago when my 4R70W temps crept up to 230.  I installed a large auxiliary cooler and the engine temps dropped along with my trans temps.  On a test run yesterday in the mid 90's my trans temps are now 170.    

8/01/2019 7:25 AM  #3

I am running the stock 16” radiator . I resisted the 24” for a while now.... but I hear a lot of voices about to say “I told you so” ... lol cause I stuck with the 16” :: spent money on aluminum and electric setup..

Will a 16” can be enough for a 24” radiator?

8/01/2019 8:19 AM  #4

The fan may have enough flow but you would need a properly sized shroud.  If you are only pulling air through the center of a larger radiator you are essentially in the same boat as you are today.  I am sure that some will suggest dumping the electric fan and going with a tried an true solution - a fixed blade fan on a clutch.  I can't say that I disagree with this.

But, I think you need to ask yourself what you expect/want out of the car.  If you are willing to leave it in the garage on what you know is going to be a hot day, what you have works OK.  If your end-game is being able to drive it every hot day of summer then you likely need to bite the bullet and upgrade the whole radiator system.  I hate doing something two or three times to finally get it right but sometimes you have to do it and chalk it up to experience.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is if you have a thermal gun, check your transmission pan temperature on one of these hot days so you have an idea of what you are dealing with.  There is a chance that better transmission cooling will lead to lower engine temperatures and longer transmission life.

The other part of the equation is that it takes two - heat dissipation and heat generation.  The generator is your engine.  State of tune, condition of the block, clearances, etc., are things that can lead to high heat generation.  Cooling down a hot running engine is not solving the issue of a hot running engine.  I am not sure there is an easy way to tell which is at fault - a conundrum.  If you had 10 other people running the exact configuration and your's is the only one running hot then the engine is in question but finding 10 identical configurations is unlikely.   Weighing the cost of a significant cooling improvement with a wider radiator against the cost of a new or rebuilt engine, the cooling system will cost less.  If it still runs hot after all of that you know where the problem is.

8/01/2019 9:51 AM  #5

This AC hose is my biggest hinderance i think in that install if I had to go for it

8/01/2019 10:45 AM  #6

In the grand scheme, hoses are pretty cheap.  A good shop can fab hard or soft lines to move the one you show out of the way.  I went the full monty on mine with a 24".  Others can chime in on their results on up-sizing using the 20" versus the 24".  Since I was starting with a sand blasted car on a rotisserie the 24" was an easy choice.  If you are concerned with altering the original metal, the 20" may be better for you.  I say if 20" is good, 24" is better.  The 24" requires new mounts (not that hard with a little welding) and cutting open the radiator support - commitment.  I started with Steve's write-up at https://www.mustangsteve.com/radiatorcutdetail.html  and followed the process pretty closely.  I added a few details in https://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4316   But I see that some of the pics are no longer displaying.  I did correct the upper radiator clamp bolt locations per Steve's observation.  There is at least one shroud that I found that fits my installation and I can get the part number if you decide to go this route.

The battery tray is an easy change and CJ and others offer a tray that will likely work for $13 bucks.  I can take more pictures if you want to see what I did.

A good winter project that will have positive results.  Or switch to 2/60 A/C....

8/01/2019 12:02 PM  #7

It sucks that you are still having cooling issues. When it comes to radiators for old cars, I like the philosophy of "some is good, more is better, and too much is just about right!!!"

GPatrick gives a lot of good info. For air flow, I will add that is not just through the radiator. All of the heat still needs to push out from underneath the car. Since these shock tower cars are tight in the engine compartment which can hamper air flow, some of the guys with big blocks will install a spacer (stack of washers) under the hood hinges to create an escape for the heat at the back of the hood. It’s a band aid fix that might get you through the hottest part of the year. If the rubber gasket that seals the back of the hood to the cowl is still in place, remove that too.

The primary reason I chose the Shelby hood for my car was the "fish gills" as they have been called. It amazes me how much heat escapes through them.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/01/2019 5:40 PM  #8

I agree with GPatrick.
I would highly suggest running an additional external cooler for the AOD.
Have you checked the transmission temperature in and out of radiator cooler?
I would check shortly after engine warms up and when you notice temps climbing too.
I had one for my C4 plumbed in after the built in radiator cooler (3 row copper brass) and never overheated.
A/c wasn’t connected for use at that time either.
Before I installed it, I did have cooling problems...part of it was not having enough timing and carb not adjusted correctly...both my fault as I was learning how to do this myself.
Thank goodness for car magazines back in the day.

I noticed on newer ford trucks and cars, there is a rubber strip that is attached to the condenser to seal the gap between the condenser and radiator.
They are secured to condenser with plastic hole plug/retainers.
This forces the air through condenser to radiator, instead of around condenser.
Ran across this a couple of years ago while looking for condenser brackets for my ‘92.
In case you or others are getting less than satisfactory a/c operation.

8/01/2019 6:28 PM  #9

24” radiator with correct shroud and 17” fan. The extra trans cooler is a good idea. When Gary states something like that, you can bet he has done his homework. Same with my suggestion.

Your old block likely has alot of rust in the internal coolant passages. Rust will not transfer tge heat as efficiently as good clean metal.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/01/2019 7:14 PM  #10

For some reason MS didn’t finish his recommendation. Use the “Citric Acid Coolant Flush” in the Tips section to remove oil residue and rust from the coolant passages.

8/01/2019 7:56 PM  #11

This raises an interesting question that I’ve been thinking about as I follow this thread. How much radiator do you need if everything is functioning properly?

I installed my engine and ran it in the car for the first time a few weeks ago. I haven’t  driven it out of the driveway and most of the time it ran it was idling. Temp on the gauge warmed up to 195 fairly quickly, but never got hotter than that. Infrared laser said the temps at the t-stat housing were actually a lot less than 195.   Right now I’ve got a 2-row 1.25” tube aluminum std 65-66 sized rad, with a 180 t-stat, Derale fan in front of a 450hp 347. No a/c and the climate is cool- never hits 90s except peak summer (July/August).

I haven’t even driven the car yet (I know I should before making any decisions), but I’m already thinking I screwed up by not going with the 20” or 24” rad from the get go.  If I decide to go bigger,  will a 20”’ be enough or should I just bite the bullet and jump all the way to a 24”?

8/02/2019 5:03 AM  #12

I would try it before I buy it Chaplin.
Why waste the money if ya don’t have too.

I run a 1” tubes  2 row aluminum radiator (std 289 size) and electric fan w/stockish 5.0&T5 combo.
Even with 190-195 thermostat, I don’t have overheating issues.
Had this combo with my 289/c4 and180 thermostat with no issues either.
I still have the electric fan come on with ignition “on” only.
I keep it simple and let the thermostat regulate the temperature as designed originally.
It works for me.

Gaba, I just noticed your foam between condenser and radiator.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/02/2019 5:09 AM)

8/02/2019 5:56 AM  #13

I've got to echo what everyone is saying.  220 isn't overheating, just hotter than you may like.  A 180 degree t-stat doesn't mean the engine will run at 180 degrees, just that the t-stat opens at 180.  I would run a 16psi radiator cap if you aren't already, and at that much pressure you will not get coolant boiling until about 260 degrees.

Any time you have an automatic an external cooler is a good idea.  Trying to keep that tranny fluid cool is just one more burden on the cooling system. 

I also agree that the poor running you experienced was more a case of the ambient heat affecting the fuel system than the engine getting too hot.  Most likely you were getting the ethanol in the fuel boiling and the engine having a tough time trying to ingest a fuel that was now 10% gaseous instead of liquid. 

One thing to consider is that the water pump may be moving the coolant too fast.  High flow pumps work great if you need them.  If you don't they can actually move the coolant through the radiator too fast and it doesn't have enough time to reject the proper amount of heat to keep its temperature where it should be. 

8/02/2019 6:16 AM  #14

As far as Transmission external coolers go. Are these supposed to be inline with the current connection into the radiator or are these supposed to take over the cooling entirely for the transmission?

8/02/2019 6:30 AM  #15

I placed mine after radiator transmission cooler.
I used a small heat exchanger.
Take a look at trucks with tow packages.
Most have both..at least from my observation.

8/02/2019 10:51 AM  #16

Mochaman wrote:

As far as Transmission external coolers go. Are these supposed to be inline with the current connection into the radiator or are these supposed to take over the cooling entirely for the transmission?

I THINK.......they take the place of....the radiator tank.
Would be pretty cool to mount an A/T external cooler  and position it so it would be in the air stream butt-knot in front of the radiator. Maybe underneath the battery tray and have a fresh air duct/passage/louvers directing outside air across it.  Protected from rocks and stuff butt in an air stream.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/02/2019 11:14 AM  #17

In the wintertime the radiator "cooler" serves to help heat up the transmission more quickly.  You don't want to bypass the radiator cooler in most cases.  As mentioned, install an auxiliary cooler after the radiator cooler and then back to the transmission.  You will need to confirm but I am relatively sure that the AOD fluid line out is the upper fitting and the "in" is the lower fitting - exactly opposite of the 4R70W.  Its good insurance after the time and effort that you put into your AOD rebuild.

There is a long running myth that faster flow reduces cooling.  There are some half-truths - if you remove the restriction of the thermostat, flow will increase but you hare not holding the fluid at a higher pressure inside the engine and some critical areas will not have sufficient contact or pressure to transfer heat and even with the higher flow you can still have steam pockets or localized boiling.  So, increasing flow by removing the thermostat is not going to work.  If you increase flow by spinning the water pump too fast, the pump will act less and less like a pump but fast is around 7000 rpm at the pump.  So even if you run an overdrive pump pulley combination, you are not likely to see that 7000 at the pump in highway driving and street traffic.  There is pretty good article here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/    that explains a lot about cooling in general.  It is a little marketing oriented but still good info.  Scroll down to "myth" and you will see a detailed write-up about flow.

So, after all that, before the 24" radiator install you may want to look at your current pulley ratios and see if you can speed up your water pump.  Alternatively, you could install a FlowKooler pump.  It has an improved impeller design that will increase flow for the same engine rpm.  If you think about your problem, you are getting off of the highway and two things happen - you have less airflow through the radiator and the engine is spinning slower.  You can't do much about air flow but you can spin the pump faster.  A good pump is relatively cheap and will work with any ultimate decision you make on a radiator.  Stewart Components is another source for high flow pumps.  If you decide to go the pump route you should probable speak directly with the manufacturer to make sure you are getting the right pump for your engine combo - direction of rotation, hose placement, etc..  More fun reading -  https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pages/why-flowkooler-hi-flow-pumps-end-overheating  

Consider playing around with your antifreeze percentages.  Antifreeze does raise the boiling point (and lower the freeze point) but it makes the fluid less efficient in removing heat.  The higher the concentration, the higher your coolant temperature will end up.  But, it is usually what provides corrosion protection so you can't necessarily run without it.  So, you may consider a product called "water wetter" that helps with heat transfer and for the spring, summer, and fall in Texas you could probably run a 25% antifreeze mix.  The first link I posted has some good info on this.

Messing with your antifreeze and getting better flow may get you at or under your target temperatures.  If you have a lower profile air cleaner that hugs the carb you may find that a slightly taller version may help get hot trapped air away from the carb that will help with some of the poor running characteristics you are experiencing..

8/02/2019 11:59 AM  #18

I am using this tranny cooler on my 68.
 It is stand alone to the AOD and not going through the rad, I thought that the rad had enough to do cooling the engine.
 Disregard the pusher fan and the copper rad in the picture, they are gone , replaced with a two row 24 inch aluminum rad and a mechanical fan.
 Engine and AOD run cool as a cucumber.

Last edited by Rudi (8/02/2019 12:09 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/02/2019 12:35 PM  #19

GPatrick wrote:

In the wintertime the radiator "cooler" serves to help heat up the transmission more quickly.  You don't want to bypass the radiator cooler in most cases.  As mentioned, install an auxiliary cooler after the radiator cooler and then back to the transmission.  You will need to confirm but I am relatively sure that the AOD fluid line out is the upper fitting and the "in" is the lower fitting - exactly opposite of the 4R70W.  Its good insurance after the time and effort that you put into your AOD rebuild.

There is a long running myth that faster flow reduces cooling.  There are some half-truths - if you remove the restriction of the thermostat, flow will increase but you hare not holding the fluid at a higher pressure inside the engine and some critical areas will not have sufficient contact or pressure to transfer heat and even with the higher flow you can still have steam pockets or localized boiling.  So, increasing flow by removing the thermostat is not going to work.  If you increase flow by spinning the water pump too fast, the pump will act less and less like a pump but fast is around 7000 rpm at the pump.  So even if you run an overdrive pump pulley combination, you are not likely to see that 7000 at the pump in highway driving and street traffic.  There is pretty good article here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/    that explains a lot about cooling in general.  It is a little marketing oriented but still good info.  Scroll down to "myth" and you will see a detailed write-up about flow.

So, after all that, before the 24" radiator install you may want to look at your current pulley ratios and see if you can speed up your water pump.  Alternatively, you could install a FlowKooler pump.  It has an improved impeller design that will increase flow for the same engine rpm.  If you think about your problem, you are getting off of the highway and two things happen - you have less airflow through the radiator and the engine is spinning slower.  You can't do much about air flow but you can spin the pump faster.  A good pump is relatively cheap and will work with any ultimate decision you make on a radiator.  Stewart Components is another source for high flow pumps.  If you decide to go the pump route you should probable speak directly with the manufacturer to make sure you are getting the right pump for your engine combo - direction of rotation, hose placement, etc..  More fun reading -  https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/pages/why-flowkooler-hi-flow-pumps-end-overheating  

Consider playing around with your antifreeze percentages.  Antifreeze does raise the boiling point (and lower the freeze point) but it makes the fluid less efficient in removing heat.  The higher the concentration, the higher your coolant temperature will end up.  But, it is usually what provides corrosion protection so you can't necessarily run without it.  So, you may consider a product called "water wetter" that helps with heat transfer and for the spring, summer, and fall in Texas you could probably run a 25% antifreeze mix.  The first link I posted has some good info on this.

Messing with your antifreeze and getting better flow may get you at or under your target temperatures.  If you have a lower profile air cleaner that hugs the carb you may find that a slightly taller version may help get hot trapped air away from the carb that will help with some of the poor running characteristics you are experiencing..

Thanks for that. I will be playing with this setup till winter when I will decide and start on the 24” setup. I know after doing a trans rebuild and R&R I can do a radiator . It’s not the same but it’s not more difficult .

I already have the flowkooler  pump .. I am about to start recurring the distributor .. in the mean time I will also make sure I am ideling a bit high with AC on so I have enough water flow ...

I am going to give me existing setup a good old chance , and if it fails to keep things where I want them with AC on, then it’s all coming out and 24” is going in with the recommended shroud and all.

Transmission cooler is another issue .. I am trying to figure out where I can put it ... I don’t want to custome make any tubing now and then have to redo it all in winter it I go with 24”

Trans builders had said if you don’t use car for towing or racing you don’t really need a trans cooler but this is more to reduce work on the enfine’s cooling system so I’ll add it come winter

8/02/2019 1:10 PM  #20

Hoses specifically for transmission coolers/fluid (available at the zone, etc.) will work well with hose barbs for a temporary install.  I'd check your pan.  If you are 180 on the pan at idle there is nothing to worry about.  If you are over 200 on the pan, the internal temps are easily 10 to 20 degrees higher.  That is not something that should be put on the back burner (pardon the expression).  And, think about your antifreeze mix.  Easy to change and it may make a difference.

8/02/2019 1:18 PM  #21

GPatrick wrote:

So, after all that, before the 24" radiator install you may want to look at your current pulley ratios and see if you can speed up your water pump.  Alternatively, you could install a FlowKooler pump.  It has an improved impeller design that will increase flow for the same engine rpm.  If you think about your problem, you are getting off of the highway and two things happen - you have less airflow through the radiator and the engine is spinning slower.  You can't do much about air flow but you can spin the pump faster.  A good pump is relatively cheap and will work with any ultimate decision you make on a radiator.  Stewart Components is another source for high flow pumps.  If you decide to go the pump route you should probable speak directly with the manufacturer to make sure you are getting the right pump for your engine combo - direction of rotation, hose placement, etc...

My experience with Stewart water pumps:  I’ve put them on two Mustangs. My old ‘86 GT and my 1992 LX 5.0. Those pumps, even the Stage 1 pumps, flow way too much. You need holes drilled in your thermostat to relieve the pressure they create. It will take forever for your car to reach operating temp in the winter. This is probably great for your drag racing Mustang but not for the street. Back to the pressure issue, every small hose and gasket (old ones, mind you) developed leaks one by one.  The weak links kept breaking. I’d fix one and the next one would give. Even the timing cover to block gasket leaked. So after finding all the problem areas and fixing them, the impeller breaks. True story: Two days before Thanksgiving 2017 I’m on the I-5 freeway near Burbank on my way to pick up my aunt to bring her to my house for a Thanksgiving. I pull up behind a beautiful 1970-ish Porsche 911. It’s green with gold lettering and emblems. The driver was going 60 when everyone else was going 70 so as I pass I noticed the driver was Wayne Carini from the Chasing Classic Cars show. I like that show so I wanted a picture of Wayne. Just as I grab my phone I did a glance at my dashboard (safety, ya know) I noticed my temp gauge was pegged! All the way up past the red line marked 270. Aaaaaaah! Just then Wayne pulls off at Lankershim and I lose him. To make a long story endless after a 200plus mile trailering home, the culprit was broken spot welds, ONLY 4! And blade do-hickey had separated from the shaft. No more Stewart water pumps for me.
Higher flow pumps are fine. Just not Stewart’s for the street.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/02/2019 2:34 PM  #22

I don't have any personal experience with Stewart but will definitely steer clear!  Thanks for the info.  I have used FlowKooler with good results and a brand new one is going on my new truck engine.

8/02/2019 3:33 PM  #23

I've run trans coolers both ways, through the radiator and bypassing it completely.  It does help in the winter, but in the summer it can cause issues.  The ideal would be a thermostatic valve that directs it through the radiator when its cold outside and around it when its hot.  Modern vehicles are using systems like that.  Adds another degree of complexity though.

If it were me I'd bypass the radiator because the car is much more likely to be driven when its hot out than cold, at least for me. 

8/03/2019 7:10 PM  #24

Do you have a rear cross over on your intake manifold? I noticed when I switched to the intake with the water cross over in the rear of manifold car ran cooler.Old manifold did not have one.

If its worth doing do it right !

8/03/2019 8:58 PM  #25

Would you agree that after following this I think I need to get rid of my high flow water pump to better manage my cooling system? I installed it because my engine is a 351W that I had bored and stroked to 416 c.i. I installed it thinking that it would help it run cooler. From what I am reading here I need to slow the flow. In the winter it does take a long time to warm up. In the summer it heats up more and more the longer it is driven. Coming home from the bash it would get right on the edge of hot. I turned off the AC and it cooled down to the middle immediately then I turned the AC back on and the temp would work it's way back to hot again. It would run through that cycle in about 45 minutes to an hour so it wasn't a big deal but annoying and the compressor started making noise to warn me.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.