FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/29/2019 9:17 PM  #26

Re: T5 install issues and questions?

I didn't think about the torque ramifications. The cover for the clutch lever came today, there is no way it is going to fit. Im thinking I might have to invent my own cover. Im not sure I want to install a cable system, there's already to much stuff in the engine compartment with the Borgeson power steering hoses. If they went under the box like the original it would be less crowded in that area.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/30/2019 5:14 AM  #27

Can you install a shim to move the z-bar towards left to clear housing tab?

Might be able to install short piece of copper tubing or pex tubing to prevent wear on linkage.

Secure it to the rod at ends so it doesn’t vibrate and annoy the heck out of ya too.

Just throwing out some ideas so you don’t have to cut the housing tab.

What motor mounts are you using?
Noticed your transmission is forward in transmission bracket slots.

Just wondering,
Dan

Last edited by Nos681 (8/30/2019 6:40 AM)

8/30/2019 5:16 PM  #28

Good suggestions, I'll do that. The motor mounts are the stock grocery store, nothing fancy brand. So is the transmission mount. I had to drill the holes in it to move it so it would fit. The tail shaft wasn't in the center of the tunnel when I installed the trans mount. I loosened all the motor mount hardware and shoved it over to straighten it out. I ran a string down the driveshaft along the center of the engine. I looked straight.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/31/2019 6:12 AM  #29

The driveshaft actually doesn't have to be perfectly straight in the car.  Its obviously best for tunnel clearance, etc., but the u-joints can operate at some side to side misalignment without issue, so long as its not severe. 

8/31/2019 7:16 AM  #30

There has always been a slight vibration in the car ever since I installed the C4. I've always thought it was the drive shaft balance but never perused it.
  I wonder why a CV wasn't used instead of a U-joint, then it wouldn't matter how straight it is. Same way with a wobble socket? Need some new inventing going on.

8/31/2019 4:25 PM  #31

I would say cost is why it isn’t done.
Especially a car for the masses.
I’m sure it was proposed at some point.

8/31/2019 5:12 PM  #32

The '77-'80 Lincoln Versailles used a "double cardan CV joint" in the driveshaft at the rear end. Obviously NVH was a concern in Lincoln cars.

8/31/2019 6:46 PM  #33

HACK that durn thang off!!!  Swatt-eye done.....ain't missed it yet and thats been coupla years ago.
Only difference between MS advice to use a sawz-all and mine is................I used a grinder and BFH!
Make it go away
and keep mov'in.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/31/2019 9:33 PM  #34

Sorry, I didn't mean to misslead anybody. The lug is the least of my worries, I don't think it will be an issue, but if it is, it's gone. My issue is the cover for the clutch lever. I haven't found one that will work or fit the combination that I have come up with using my original 1970 lever on the T-5 / SBF bellhousing. I decided to make my own cover fashioning it after a pocket door. My current battle today, besides broken airplanes, has been fitting the boot around the Pro 5.0 shifter. It's taken me most of the day but I think using a piece of Kiazen foam as a seal will be the ticket.

9/02/2019 10:35 AM  #35

MS wrote:

… keep it in case you ever need it …,or when MustangSteve develops that 1970 cable clutch kit.

ROFLMAO!  BUH-HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ! (like that will happen)

9/04/2019 7:13 PM  #36

Drove the Mustang around the block tonight. I think it works good. It gently works it's way out of 5th and into neutral. I think the carpet might be doing that. The car isn't put together enough for hi-way driving to verify it.

9/04/2019 8:47 PM  #37

Adjust the stop bolt on the Pro 5.0.

9/05/2019 7:11 AM  #38

I'll re check it. And the carpet.

9/05/2019 9:54 AM  #39

Just a thought that crossed my mind.  You may not be aware there were different console tops for manual and automatic transmissions.  The manual version had the entire hole a little towards the driver side rather than centered like the automatic. 

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/06/2019 9:39 PM  #40

This is how it finishes. I'm OK with it, it is a place to put the cell phone. Had to cut off the bottom of the hole so it would fit all the way down flush. I'll have to remove all that to re adjust the stop bolt on the pro 5.0. It still slips out of 5th gear. Seems like it has more power now. Must be the difference in gearing and rotating mass vs. the C-4. It is now obvious that the vibration is the engine. Couldn't isolate it before. I'm not sure what can be done about that.

75 MPH 2000 RPM. 3.0 limited slip. AFR 13.3 average. Doesn't lug in 5th till about 40 mph. It's a little slow to pick up speed at 70 mph to pass a car but was doing 95 by the time I got past him. No more exhaust resonating at any speed, seems quieter but I forgot to turn on the radio.

9/20/2019 4:11 PM  #41

I'll be pulling it all back out pretty soon. It has a pretty healthy vibration that I guess is associated with the flywheel. In order to find it and fix it the machine shop needs the whole rotating mass. Ill be sure to get the compression ratio when its apart.        

9/20/2019 4:36 PM  #42

My RPM is about the same as yours in fuf gear. I usually down shift to 4 if I wanna 'git-on-around-'um...butt on the interstate I just make it happen in fuf (unless its a durned-old-shivel-lay) then I pass'em with much vigor! maybe even 3rd gear!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/21/2019 6:10 AM  #43

Its probably a combination of things.  If you are going from a C4 your first gear was only 2.46 and is now 2.95 or 3.35 depending in which T5 you used.  The you have three more gears to get back down to 1:1.  The problem with a three speed is that you don't want a huge RPM drop between gears, so you can't go too tall on first gear.  This is where having like 20 rear gear combinations you could choose from when buying the car came in handy because you could just get a deeper rear gear if you wanted better acceleration. 

Also, a typical automatic eats up about 20-25% of the engines power, whereas a manual is more like 15%.  A C4 is pretty light internally, so I would put it more on the 20% side, but that increase in free power coupled with better gearing is definitely going to put some snap in the acceleration.

Then there's whatever converter stall speed was and its condition.  If the converter was slipping you were losing power.  The clutch is either in or out.  For years there's been talk about torque multiplication with a converter, but I've found it to be academic.  In practice a manual vehicle always felt faster and more responsive.  I've converted three different vehicles from auto to manual over the years and I never felt I gave up anything. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.