FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2019 2:30 PM  #1

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)

While my little 289 was idling yesterday I pinched the PCV hose shut and the engine lost 300+ RPM. WTF, I said. 

I pulled the PCV valve out of the valve cover and plugged the end with my thumb; same 300 RPM drop. A massive air leak, IMHO. The PCV valve is of unknown origin and has been on my little 289 for 20+ years and I have never given it a thought. I did run without it for awhile when I modified 86 5.0 valve covers to clear the roller rockers. There was no place in the 86 valve covers for PCV so I ran a "Draft Tube" from the oil filler neck to the bottom of the car. The PCV is again installed when I bought tall valve covers. 

So you that run PCV valve what happens when you plug the valve shut at idle? My idle drops a lot. A big vacuum leak if you ask me. 

So today I rigged up the engine to measure crankcase pressure/vacuum. I plugged the oil filler hole and placed my vacuum gauge in the drip-stick tube. With the PCV "Active" at idle the crankcase shows about 4" vacuum. It takes about 15 seconds for it to stabilize at 4". With the PCV plugged I have 0" crankcase pressure at idle. I say zero but  there is a tad, I think as I have not enough hands to properly plug and measure pressure. 

My understanding is the PCV should flow near zilch at idle and a lot at WOT. 

Short story is that I can set the idle mixture for a smooth idle WITHOUT the PCV hooked up, not so with it active. 

Any guidance from the clan is appreciated. 

Last edited by RV6 (8/14/2019 2:30 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

8/14/2019 2:38 PM  #2

Re: Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)

I could install something like this in one of my collectors to replace the PCV system.

https://antisplataero.com/products/crankcase-vacuum-kit-complete

8/14/2019 4:08 PM  #3

I've seriously thought of installing one of those types of evacuation tubes.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/14/2019 6:36 PM  #4

Why not put a little restrictor in the PCV hose going to the carb/vacuum source? I did that with mine. I have SOME vacuum butt-knot all the vacuum the engine would normally make.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/14/2019 8:39 PM  #5

Gary can you explain the air flow for this system?
And when the PCV should be working and what to expect?
Thanks!

8/15/2019 12:45 PM  #6

RV6 wrote:

I could install something like this in one of my collectors to replace the PCV system.

Technically speaking it would be illegal to replace your PCV valve with that aircraft part for an over-the-road vehicle. The PCV valve is a year specific emissions control part. Removing it and venting the crankcase vapors to atmosphere is illegal. Do people do this all the time and get away with it? Of course. The standard recommendation would be to install a new PCV valve with known good (or new) hoses and see how the engine runs then.

8/15/2019 12:47 PM  #7

Nos681 wrote:

Gary can you explain the air flow for this system?
And when the PCV should be working and what to expect?
Thanks!

I really can't. At idle and high manifold vacuum the valve should be almost closed as blow-by is at a minimum. At cruise and WOT the valve opens more as blow-by is at a maximum. If a backfire occurs it is suppose to close completely. Springs, crankcase pressure and manifold vacuum determine the flow. But what is the correct flow? The internet is full of questions about the flow rates and it seems none are published. I did find an adjustable unit but at $129 I'm not likely to try it. 

Yesterday at the local parts store they had nothing listed for the 67. The parts guy says we have a bunch of em in the back if you want to choose one that fits. No thanks, I'll keep looking. Napa has one so I think I'll drive the 32 miles round trip to get it. 

There are a lot of interesting discussion about PCV in forums and magazine articles to be found on the net. Flow rate matters.

Mike's suggestion of an orifice in the hose to cut down the flow is an option, but it is not the solution I am looking for.

I would like for someone to plug their PCV valve while idling and tell me the results. 

8/15/2019 12:56 PM  #8

There doesn't seem to be any problem as described in the original post.   This is pretty typical behavior for a PVC valve/system.  When you pull it, the engine goes lean and quits.  If you plug it, you don't have enough air, and it quits.  Can you plug it and increase the idle speed, yes, but then you are venting crankcase gases for no reason.  If it runs fine with it in, leave it in.  You can get different valves that have slightly different properties.  I think there is a HIPO 289 part number or a 428 Cobra Jet valve but I'd have to search again.  You can even buy adjustable units as has been discussed on here in the past.  Also, the PCV system is not intended to be closed.  In some cases people will block off the opposite valve cover where hopefully filtered air is brought in which can ultimately encourage blow-by as it pulls vacuum in the crankcase.  So, I guess my ultimate question is why are you trying to fix something that is working correctly and as designed?  

I'm with Ron!

8/15/2019 1:04 PM  #9

We had a big discussion on PCV valves a while back. You need them to work at idle and at WOT and at every point in between. Here’s a link to an article that opened my eyes on the subject:
http://mewagner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Hemmings-Muscle-Machine-Jan-2016-p64-67.pdf
I think you should look at the Wagoner valve again. I love the two I have on my cars and will never go back. Read the article if you haven’t already and give it another consideration.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (8/15/2019 1:08 PM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/15/2019 1:31 PM  #10

Here is a basic description of how the PVC system is supposed to work.

http://www.hastingsfilter.com/Literature/TSB/94-2R1.pdf

8/15/2019 3:00 PM  #11

GPatrick wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any problem as described in the original post.   This is pretty typical behavior for a PVC valve/system.  When you pull it, the engine goes lean and quits.  If you plug it, you don't have enough air, and it quits.  Can you plug it and increase the idle speed, yes, but then you are venting crankcase gases for no reason.  If it runs fine with it in, leave it in.  You can get different valves that have slightly different properties.  I think there is a HIPO 289 part number or a 428 Cobra Jet valve but I'd have to search again.  You can even buy adjustable units as has been discussed on here in the past.  Also, the PCV system is not intended to be closed.  In some cases people will block off the opposite valve cover where hopefully filtered air is brought in which can ultimately encourage blow-by as it pulls vacuum in the crankcase.  So, I guess my ultimate question is why are you trying to fix something that is working correctly and as designed? I'm with Ron!

The reason is because I don't think it is operating as designed. A snippet from the article Ron linked

For example, at low or idle engine speeds manifold vacuum is high. This pulls the plunger to the extreme forward position, or manifold end of the valve. Due to the shape of the plunger, vapor flow is reduced to a minimum. The low rate of the flow is adequate for ventilation purposes and will not upset the fuel/air mixture ratio.

The italics I put in. This is how I think the valve should work and not how my valve is working. I just wanted clarification that mine was not working correctly before I drove the 37 miles (1 hour) round trip to the NAPA store. 

I just returned from NAPA with a 6 cylinder PCV valve. The 8 cylinder valve they gave me was the plunger was stuck on the inside so they are delivering one tomorrow. I purchased both to see if there was any difference, curiosity only. 

Once the engine cools, I'll test the little 6 banger valve. 

8/15/2019 3:07 PM  #12

Hornman wrote:

RV6 wrote:

Technically speaking it would be illegal to replace your PCV valve with that aircraft part for an over-the-road vehicle. The PCV valve is a year specific emissions control part. Removing it and venting the crankcase vapors to atmosphere is illegal. Do people do this all the time and get away with it? Of course. The standard recommendation would be to install a new PCV valve with known good (or new) hoses and see how the engine runs then.

Ron, I agree that it would be against smog regulations. The linked part I have installed on my airplane as the engine normally is vented with only a draft tube. The linked part uses the exhaust to create low pressure and sucks the crankcase vapors into the exhaust stream to be burned there. Granted it is not EPA legal for automobiles, but it will burn the unburned hydrocarbons produce by the engine blowby. I like a working PCV system better.

8/15/2019 3:10 PM  #13

Muzz 66 wrote:

We had a big discussion on PCV valves a while back. You need them to work at idle and at WOT and at every point in between. Here’s a link to an article that opened my eyes on the subject:
http://mewagner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Hemmings-Muscle-Machine-Jan-2016-p64-67.pdf
I think you should look at the Wagoner valve again. I love the two I have on my cars and will never go back. Read the article if you haven’t already and give it another consideration.

I am leaning toward the mewagner adjustable valve. The ability to fine tune the PCV to my engine is what I like about it. Not so the price. 

8/15/2019 8:11 PM  #14

SEnd Red 351 a PM......He post (a while back) the part number for THE Hi Po 289 PCV. Or maybe it was the Boss 302 one. Regardless he can hook-you-up
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/15/2019 8:17 PM  #15

Thanks Muzz!  That may explain some issues I had in the past.

8/16/2019 6:16 AM  #16

We did a group buy on the ME Wagner valve a while back.  The issue seems to be that replacement PCV valves are kind of one size fits all.  Originally these valves were different based on application, but now they just don't have the same level of engineering in them.

AND, once you start changing things in the engine the PCV valve for a stock engine, like a lot of stock parts, isn't necessarily up to snuff.  The ME Wagner valve solves this issue by allowing you to fine tune the valve for your particular combination. 

They are pricey, but they also work really well.  I've yet to hear of anyone who was unhappy with their purchase, and a lot praise it saying it solved issues they couldn't fix otherwise.  Plus, well made, and rebuildable, so its a lifetime purchase. 

8/16/2019 5:51 PM  #17

TKOPerformance wrote:

We did a group buy on the ME Wagner valve a while back.  The issue seems to be that replacement PCV valves are kind of one size fits all.  Originally these valves were different based on application, but now they just don't have the same level of engineering in them.

AND, once you start changing things in the engine the PCV valve for a stock engine, like a lot of stock parts, isn't necessarily up to snuff.  The ME Wagner valve solves this issue by allowing you to fine tune the valve for your particular combination. 

They are pricey, but they also work really well.  I've yet to hear of anyone who was unhappy with their purchase, and a lot praise it saying it solved issues they couldn't fix otherwise.  Plus, well made, and rebuildable, so its a lifetime purchase. 

What sort of price are we talking here TKO? I think I have a regular aftermarket one on mine and this post got me wondering.
If I get something like what you fitted, will I be looking at re-tuning the engine?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

8/16/2019 7:26 PM  #18

I bought the ME Wagner valve for my 351W that I had bored and stoked thinking that the original one was no longer addiquite. The engine does run a lot smother all around since putting it in. I bought it with the group buy for around $100. if I remember correctly. It has two adjustments and comes with springs that can be swapped as needed. It was kind of like adjusting a Edelbrok carb. Easy but tedious.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/17/2019 4:30 AM  #19

I just took a look at my pcv valve and wonder if it is the original. It has the brass bend fitting on the end with the pcv valve screwed into it.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

8/17/2019 5:23 AM  #20

I think regularly they are like $130, but we got a great deal with the group buy.  I bought 3 of them for various projects.

You shouldn't have to retune the engine, just adjust the valve as noted in the instructions, which are good and detailed.  Once you have it set you might want to at least check the idle adjustments, but that should be about it. 

8/17/2019 3:35 PM  #21

Well crap, more money that I don't want to spend. OK, I'll buy one. 

The new PCV valves I bought, one for the 6 cyl and the other listed for all V8's do not work better than the one I have. The little 6 banger one vibrates while the engine is running. 

8/17/2019 4:56 PM  #22

TKOPerformance wrote:

I think regularly they are like $130, but we got a great deal with the group buy.  I bought 3 of them for various projects.

You shouldn't have to retune the engine, just adjust the valve as noted in the instructions, which are good and detailed.  Once you have it set you might want to at least check the idle adjustments, but that should be about it. 

Thanks for the heads up.
I have researched this topic since this post came up and it seems the function of the pcv valve optimizes the function of the engine.
Are there any other options for pcv valves if people didn't have that sort of cash?

8/17/2019 5:45 PM  #23

Nos681 wrote:

Thanks Muzz!  That may explain some issues I had in the past.

YW, Just passing it on. On my ‘92 the ME Wagner valve was working a little too well.  The PCV hole is at the back of the intake manifold.  There is no baffle to keep free oil from splashing up and getting sucked into the valve and into the intake, gumming things up. There is a “crankcase breather element” that slows some of that down. It’s just a wad of wire. I added an oil separator to the line to the intake. It pulls out about 1/3 cup of oil every 1000 miles.  Works great.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

8/17/2019 5:47 PM  #24

Stevo Try an o/e stock unit.
My 331 stroker runs just fine with the one that was removed from my previous 289.

Last edited by Rudi (8/17/2019 5:48 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/18/2019 5:26 AM  #25

Muzz 66 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Thanks Muzz! That may explain some issues I had in the past.

YW, Just passing it on. On my ‘92 the ME Wagner valve was working a little too well. The PCV hole is at the back of the intake manifold. There is no baffle to keep free oil from splashing up and getting sucked into the valve and into the intake, gumming things up. There is a “crankcase breather element” that slows some of that down. It’s just a wad of wire. I added an oil separator to the line to the intake. It pulls out about 1/3 cup of oil every 1000 miles. Works great.

And that's why Ford put a filter below the PCV on the 5.0, which had the PCV in the rear of the intake.  I believe there was a baffle below the filter as well.  I'd pull the intake and fabricate something similar.  Shouldn't be too terrible tough.  You should be able to drill and tap the intake in that area so long as you avoid any coolant passages.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.