FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2019 9:58 AM  #1

C-4 Overfill

Had a "senior moment" today and over-filled the transmission. It is well above the full level on the dip stick. Other than dropping the pan and starting over is there a way of getting out some fluid? Will it hurt anything to drive it as is? Thanks for any advice.

8/17/2019 10:29 AM  #2

Re: C-4 Overfill

Use the Texas credit card technique. Clear tubing down the trans filler tube to the pan bottom...pucker up and carefully pull the fluid up the tube until you see it getting close to the vacuum source...pinch the tubing, remove from the filler tube and drain the fluid into a catch pan....check fluid level a la dipstick...repeat as necessary...

Last edited by josh-kebob (8/17/2019 1:33 PM)

8/17/2019 10:40 AM  #3

Along same lines as Josh described.  Please use NEW clear tubing.  Use a hand held brake vacuum pump...just like bleeding your brakes. Evacuate to desired level.

8/17/2019 11:22 AM  #4

OK, thanks chaps. I purchased some clear plastic tubing. I'm not wild about swallowing ATF so I have an old antifreeze tester with a rubber bulb that fits quite snuggly into the tubing. I think I'll try that first. It will probably take a while but I have nothing but time. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.