FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2019 5:03 AM  #26

Re: Still cant cool at Idle

Glad you found a solution to your problem.😁

I can understand frustration

Just wondering about gap between condenser and radiator.

Are your condenser brackets in correct locations/position?

Such as brackets attached to back side or front side of condenser to bring condenser closer to radiator?

Now go out and enjoy it! 😎

8/30/2019 7:10 PM  #27

I'm glad you solved your problem. 

I love the Internet and forums.  It allows us (enthusiast) to share information and find information that would be very difficult to obtain without it.  Because of the online medium, I really feel like the world is a whole lot smaller.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/30/2019 8:55 PM  #28

This has been an interesting read for me cause my car has always done similar to the same thing ever since I installed the stroker 416. Last night after reading this post I checked my radiator and condenser installation. They are both installed in the factory position, the only change there is the radiator is aluminum instead of copper and about 1/2 inch thicker than stock. There is a factory 4 inch gap between the condenser and the radiator. I guess I have some fixen to do.......later.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/30/2019 10:25 PM  #29

90’s Ford trucks have a piece of rubber that attached to the condenser with plastic snaps to direct air through radiator.  It even has a Ford engineering number molded into it.  Looked like it may have been available in different widths...as I recall.  I have seen the use of the window air conditioner foam to seal that void too.

8/31/2019 9:19 PM  #30

I think I found my cooling problem. the engine has 133K on it and I just lost most all of my oil presure yesterday. now idels at 20 PSI.
Looks like a rebuild

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/01/2019 4:43 AM  #31

While 20 psi may not sound like much, it's fine as long as it rises when you rev it up. The general rule of thumb is 20 psi at idle and 10 psi for every 1,000 RPM. My 351W has almost 70K miles on it and on hot days the idle oil pressure will get as low as 20 psi but it jumps up to 40 psi when I take off and it hits 50-60 psi when I jump on it. Now 133K on your engine is still quite a bit but I would take a compression test before thinking about rebuilding it.

9/01/2019 6:42 AM  #32

Yeah, 20 psi at idle is fine.  I see a little over 25 at idle when warm, but by 2,000 RPM its up to 50.  SBFs have a good oiling system, so they don't need a ton of pressure to overcome design deficiencies that other engines have.

9/01/2019 11:57 AM  #33

What THEY^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said!
Don't judge your oil pressure by what a 'shivel-lay' engine makes.....Those guys run 40-60 psig because their engine oiling system is NOT as efficient as SBF. Its just a fact.
  Excess oil pressure is hard on the distributor drive shaft and suck up a bunch of HP.
It ain't a Shivel-lay........its a Ford!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/01/2019 5:49 PM  #34

Just seams odd that all of a sudden have gone from 40 at idle to 20. Would pulling the pan, maybe pull a rod cap, oil pump change. Be worth doing?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/01/2019 7:40 PM  #35

I wouldn't bother and would just keep an eye on the current pressure to see if it drops some more before pulling anything to examine. Keep an ear out for lifter clacking as that will be your first sign that your pressure is too low. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the sending unit as I have run across sending units doing odd things like this. One boat with dual Volvo-Penta AQ271/AQ290 I/O systems that I worked on had a defective unit like this. His oil pressure was linear and one day it started bouncing between 20 at idle and 40 on revs while the other engine gauge was acting as usual. I checked the pressure on both engines with a manual gauge and then swapped gauge connections (problem moved to other gauge) to verify if it was the gauge or sender. I changed out the sending unit and the problem was solved.

If you tear into it I would just do a rebuild (or go with a 302) and get it over with, thus my inclination to let it ride for a bit and see if it changes any more. In the meantime, plan for that new engine and do it when you're ready to get it done!

9/01/2019 9:51 PM  #36

Thank you, thank all of you, The gauge is mech and they have always been there for me, but that doesnt mean one can fail.

9/01/2019 10:25 PM  #37

Do you trust the gauge? Have you used another mechanical gauge to verify the drop in pressure? After talking with Steve Buzek today about a similar experience him and Glen had, the oil filter could be bypassing.

An oil and filter change would be easier than pulling the pan. And you cut open the old filter to check for metal. If the pressure dropped that quick due to bearing clearances opening up, there should be evidence in the filter.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (9/01/2019 10:27 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/02/2019 6:20 AM  #38

I'm with Bolted on this one if you really think there's a problem.  Though, pulling the pan is at least possible in these cars.  Such issues are a lot more involved with later cars like the Fox bodies because you can't get the pan off due to the K member.  I had mine off a couple years back for a reseal, and while certainly not my idea of fun (oil in the face and hair is always great) its not a terrible task either. 

9/02/2019 2:01 PM  #39

I changed the oil Amsoil 1040 with zinc and filter WIX when I first saw the problem I will watch this now as I don't need to watch the temp as close. we seem to be holding on the temp side. oil pressure when i start up is 55. That 20 PSI is also in gear as I have a C4

9/06/2019 5:37 PM  #40

Ok new update timing was at 16 with vac disconnected and caped. Car is now at 6 and runs GREAT I never knew a car would run as good as it did at 16. Crap temp seems to be more normal

9/06/2019 10:02 PM  #41

Cab4word67 wrote:

Crap temp seems to be more normal

Glad it’s running better, but this is a little too much information!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.